Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL, SPG, UA.
Originally Posted by bryanb
Just to clarify: when you have a Morgan Stanley AMEX card, are the Membership Rewards points kept under a separate MR account number? I would prefer to pool my points together into one account with my existing points.
Mine are pooled with the rest of my MR from other cards into one single MR account. I had an MR account before adding the MS card.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:38 am

amex

Just got approved for the Amex Plat with a 656 Exp score, thrilled to bits. Guess the Brokerage account helped.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:01 pm

churn?

am i reading the terms correctly -- it seems there is no limitation if you've had other Pt cards previously? Thinking about dumping my MB card for this and would it mean i'll get the 50K signup bonus?

OFFER TERMS

50,000 Points
To qualify for 50,000 points, you must make purchases on your Platinum Card from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley Account that total $1,000 or more within your first three months of Card Membership starting from the date your account is approved. 50,000 points will be credited to your Membership Rewards® program account 6-8 weeks after you meet the spend requirement. Limit one offer per Card Account. Cash advances, balance transfers, fees or interest charges, purchases of traveler's checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards or purchases of other cash equivalents do not apply towards the spend requirement. To receive the bonus points, account must be active, in good standing, and not in default at the time the bonus points are posted to your account. Terms and Conditions for the Membership Rewards® program terms apply. Visit membershiprewards.com/terms or call 1-800-AXP-EARN (297-3276) for more information. Participating partners and available rewards are subject to change without notice. American Express reserves the right to modify or revoke offer at any time. In rare instances, your period to spend $1,000 may be shorter 3 months if there is a delay in mailing your Card. Also, purchases may fall outside of the 3 month period in some cases, such as a delay in merchants submitting transactions to us or if the purchase date differs from the date you made the transaction. (For example, if you buy goods online, the purchase date may be the date the goods are shipped). For questions regarding your Card account, please call the number on the back of your Card.

Basic Card Annual Fee
The annual fee for the Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley is $450. Foreign Transaction Fee: None
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Iridium7777
am i reading the terms correctly -- it seems there is no limitation if you've had other Pt cards previously? Thinking about dumping my MB card for this and would it mean i'll get the 50K signup bonus?
That's also how I read it. Hopefully that's the case.

Does anyone know what's the easiest, lowest maintenance, and most basic Morgan Stanley Smith Barney account we can open? It's unfortunate that there's no way to open an MS account online.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:24 am

I just discovered this Morgan Stanley Amex Plat card....

it seems like there is no limit on how many times you can earn the bonus, and the minimum timespan between two bonuses.... and of course, the minimum spend is just 1k.

I have a Morgan Stanley investment account. So this might be worth going for if I can have multiple bonus points by churning. Did anyone receive multiple bonuses by applying (and canceling) this card multiple times?

anyone had experience churning Morgan Stanley platinum card? there is no language in the offer detail specifying any churning restriction....

Does anyone know if this card is churnable? I can't find any churning language in the offer detail of this card....

Last edited by mia; Mar 20, 2015 at 9:12 pm
Old Feb 9, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Contemplating applying for this card. Most of the previous posts are pretty dated.
•Does anyone know if the $200 airline fee reimbursement + priority pass select + global entry benefits are only available to the primary cardholder?
•Will charges be pulled directly from my account, or can I pay my bill through an alternative account?
Old Feb 9, 2015, 5:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
...$200 airline fee reimbursement + priority pass select + global entry benefits are only available to the primary cardholder?
On all variants of the Platinum Card the Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit is $200 per account per year. All cardholders eligible charges count against the annual allowance.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by mia
On all variants of the Platinum Card the Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit is $200 per account per year. All cardholders eligible charges count against the annual allowance.
It looks like the $200 reimbursement is per account, not per cardholder. It also seems like the rest of the benefits are available to additional cardholders.

For me this is super valuable: my wife does not like it when I leave her outside the lounge, and she can go to the Amex and Delta clubs on her own. Having more boingo devices is helpful too---I really should not admit how many wifi devices live in my briefcase.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 7:06 am
mia

Originally Posted by mia
On all variants of the Platinum Card the Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit is $200 per account per year.
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
It looks like the $200 reimbursement is per account, not per cardholder.
We are in agreement.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
I wonder if this will be like the two Morgan Stanley offerings, or something different.
Can you churn Morgan Stanley AmEx? There is no churning language in the fine print... I wonder if you can get multiple 50K point bonuses ? I have Morgan Stanley account, so this may be a good card to get if I can get multiple bonuses by churning....
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:38 am

Does anyone know if a Morgan Stanley 401(k) account qualifies for this card? I got a mailing a while back for the card but when I asked my Morgan Stanley advisor about it he said that it didn't. I should have called and asked because this sounded wrong based on the size of our accounts.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:13 am

seems like very few people have information regarding this card?

is this because not that many people apply for this Morgan Stanley branded AMEX card?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:09 am
mia

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
...not that many people apply for this Morgan Stanley branded AMEX card?
Probably. The requirement to have a Morgan Stanley account limits the pool of potential applicants. Would you really want to discuss with your Morgan Stanley adviser why you cancelled and re-opened the same card several times?

Last edited by mia; Mar 23, 2015 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by DigitallyChallenged
Does anyone know if a Morgan Stanley 401(k) account qualifies for this card? I got a mailing a while back for the card but when I asked my Morgan Stanley advisor about it he said that it didn't. I should have called and asked because this sounded wrong based on the size of our accounts.
There is a FAQ linked on the first application page that has some information:
https://www262.americanexpress.com/d...AskedQuestions

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
is this because not that many people apply for this Morgan Stanley branded AMEX card?
The pool of people considering the Platinum is already small. The subset that qualify for the Morgan Stanley version is even smaller. Consider that this thread is already 3 years old yet only 6 pages long as of this post. The subset that churn would be an even smaller group.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Never heard of this card even though I used to work at Morgan Stanley. My question is, if I cancel my other Amex platinum and open this one, do I get my annual fee prorated back on the other one or do I have to wait until the fee is due on my other one to cancel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.