Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:53 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by blug
The application link, https://www.apply.americanexpress.co...-credit-cards/, is broken for at least two hours now
The link posted just above (which is the same link that is posted on Doctor of Credit) is still active.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by I Love to Travel
Thanks for the update. I’m waiting for response for my second escalation before going down this route. Did you attach your copy of the original signed documents for the Cashplus account to the FINRA, CFPB complaints you filed?

I do not have a copy of my signed documents. I sent a copy of section that is relevant to the case I am pleading about getting the bonus a couple of months afterwards.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by dw
The link posted just above (which is the same link that is posted on Doctor of Credit) is still active.
do you know if people have used that app link successfully to link the MS account to the AMEX Plat? i assume its best to use the affiliate link provided directly by MS. it seems to show up much easier when you have CPlus vs having just Access Invest. wondering if there are DPs of accounts not being linked if using an app link outside the MS website.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
do you know if people have used that app link successfully to link the MS account to the AMEX Plat? i assume its best to use the affiliate link provided directly by MS. it seems to show up much easier when you have CPlus vs having just Access Invest. wondering if there are DPs of accounts not being linked if using an app link outside the MS website.
Part of my issue, is I applied for the Platinum card too quickly, after setting up Access Investing, before the account was fully funded, and before I setup a Cash Plus account, but I used this link:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d.../cshome#/cshop

When Amex approved me, MS still wasn't showing me as a Platinum customer. After I called them, the MS rep was working to get everything linked, but gently scolded me when I told him I didn't apply using their affiliate link.

HOWEVER, when he asked me for the link I used, he told me, "Wow, that is the same link that our affiliate link points to, and it is valid."

Looking back, I would surmise that the link I used, may primarily exist for customers that wish to apply for the Platinum card without having the Cash Plus Account, as I don't believe I've ever seen any affiliate links to apply for the MS Platinum card from within ACCESS INVESTING.

I'm sorry this doesn't quite get to your question, but it probably isn't as critical to have accounts linked if one is not trying to get the fee reimbursement from MS.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:25 pm
dw

I have Access Investing only, and because no MS affiliate link appears for people with only Access Investing, I did use that other link last month to apply and was instantly approved by Amex. There is definitely some behind the scenes verification/data sharing happening between MS and Amex-- about two weeks after I applied, the "Invest with Rewards" option started showing up in my Access Investing account.
SpaethCo and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
I'm sorry this doesn't quite get to your question, but it probably isn't as critical to have accounts linked if one is not trying to get the fee reimbursement from MS.
If you don't show up as a MS client in their system, Amex won't let you open the card. By extension, if you cease being a MS client, Amex will close your card.

I believe you're verified by having a matching name and SSN between Amex and MS.

Edit: that's why it's recommended to wait a bit after getting established as a MS client before opening the Amex. The information exchanged between Amex and MS appears to be through some sort of regular batch processing job rather than real-time queries, so you'll have to wait for bulk updates to be run before systems to be populated on each side. That's also why you can go a month or two of not being a MS client before your Amex card closure will be triggered.
dw and GundamWing01 like this.

Last edited by SpaethCo; Oct 6, 2021 at 3:44 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Oct 6, 2021, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
As expected, my engagement bonus didn't post in the time specified, considering I met all the requirements in June. I sent an email to the rep that got my account all set up on Oct. 1 asking why I hadn't received my $550, and as you'd probably expect, she hasn't responded. I filed a CFPB complaint tonight, so we'll see how this plays. Will update once I have something to update.
In response to the CFPB complaint, I got an email from MS this afternoon that said "We have received your recent communication to Morgan Stanley. We take our clients’ concerns seriously; please be assured that the issues you have raised will be reviewed and addressed as soon as possible. Your patience is much appreciated while we complete our review." it was sent from an automated email account and CCd a real human (a search of her name on LinkedIn says she's a Compliance Manager at MS).
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Part of my issue, is I applied for the Platinum card too quickly, after setting up Access Investing, before the account was fully funded, and before I setup a Cash Plus account, but I used this link:

https://www262.americanexpress.com/d.../cshome#/cshop

When Amex approved me, MS still wasn't showing me as a Platinum customer. After I called them, the MS rep was working to get everything linked, but gently scolded me when I told him I didn't apply using their affiliate link.

HOWEVER, when he asked me for the link I used, he told me, "Wow, that is the same link that our affiliate link points to, and it is valid."

Looking back, I would surmise that the link I used, may primarily exist for customers that wish to apply for the Platinum card without having the Cash Plus Account, as I don't believe I've ever seen any affiliate links to apply for the MS Platinum card from within ACCESS INVESTING.

thank you so much for your DP. your comment helps a lot. no reason to apologize. its starting to sound like Access Investing customers do not get an affiliate link like CPlus customers. that makes sense given no bonus, but my main concern was account shutdown from amex for not having a linked active MS account.

ive read plenty of DPs but here is a doc post:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ameri...ts-dont-panic/

Originally Posted by dw
I have Access Investing only, and because no MS affiliate link appears for people with only Access Investing, I did use that other link last month to apply and was instantly approved by Amex. There is definitely some behind the scenes verification/data sharing happening between MS and Amex-- about two weeks after I applied, the "Invest with Rewards" option started showing up in my Access Investing account.
this is huge. thank you so much for this DP. so much more clear now.

Originally Posted by SpaethCo
If you don't show up as a MS client in their system, Amex won't let you open the card. By extension, if you cease being a MS client, Amex will close your card.

I believe you're verified by having a matching name and SSN between Amex and MS.

Edit: that's why it's recommended to wait a bit after getting established as a MS client before opening the Amex. The information exchanged between Amex and MS appears to be through some sort of regular batch processing job rather than real-time queries, so you'll have to wait for bulk updates to be run before systems to be populated on each side. That's also why you can go a month or two of not being a MS client before your Amex card closure will be triggered.
thank you. always appreciate your help around here. yes, based on the DPs ive seen, you are totally correct. Amex Plat app will go into pending if they need to verify MS info. otherwise, its instant approval if everything else looks good.

FM tested this a few years back:
https://frequentmiler.com/morgan-sta...account-apply/

but ive also seen plenty DPs where people are denied for no MS account when they had one. the recommendation to wait a few days or weeks is good, but thats also why i was asking for an affiliate link. i assume thats the fastest way for Amex and MS to get linked ASAP. vs slow periodic batch data processing. unfortunately, it looks like the links are reserved only for CPlus accounts.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Oct 8, 2021 at 1:57 pm
Old Oct 8, 2021, 8:57 am

Amex Plat app will go into pending if they need to verify MS info. otherwise, its instant approval if everything else looks good.
If your MS Platinum app goes pending is it best to just be patient and wait for AmEx to get around to verifying your MS account status when they feel like it? Should you call in and provide your MS account info if your application sits at pending for more than a day or two?
Old Oct 8, 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by mster
If your MS Platinum app goes pending is it best to just be patient and wait for AmEx to get around to verifying your MS account status when they feel like it? Should you call in and provide your MS account info if your application sits at pending for more than a day or two?
If you have a good relationship with Amex, in your opinion, I don't think it hurts to call after 2-3 days. When I say good, I am talking about no previous late payments, manufactured spend, many account closures etc.

When my app went to pending, it was denied 3-4 days later and I received a letter from Amex basically saying that the only reason I wasn't approved immediately was because they didn't see that I had a relationship with Morgan Stanley and would be happy to approve me in the future, when a relationship was established.

When I called them after receiving the letter, and gave them some MS account info, I was approved the next day.

If you are at a high velocity of credit cards apps, or think you may be on Amex's radar for any of the above activity, I would wait and let it play itself out, no need to poke the bear and seem impatient. However, I am guessing your situation may be similar to mine.

If you and Amex are "friends" give them a call. Good Luck.
dw, mster and GundamWing01 like this.

Last edited by diesteldorf; Oct 8, 2021 at 1:55 pm
Old Oct 9, 2021, 2:27 pm
dw

In my statement this week there was an immediate change to the card’s Program Eligibility terms, though I don’t have the old ones to reference so I’m not sure what the difference is (but it doesn’t seem like it would impact most people anyway:

Effective immediately, the Supplement to the Cardmember Agreement is amended by deleting the Things you should know about this program sub-section in its entirety and replacing it with the following:

Program Eligibility

The Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley is only available to you if you have an eligible account with Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC (Morgan Stanley).
An eligible account is a brokerage account with Morgan Stanley (i) held in your name, (ii) held by a trust where you are both the grantor and trustee of such trust, or (iii) held as a beneficial owner of a personal holding company, a non-operating limited liability company, a non-operating limited partnership, or a similar legal entity.
American Express will only issue the Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley to (1) an eligible Morgan Stanley client who is an
individual; and (2) an individual associated with an eligible Morgan Stanley client (if the eligible Morgan Stanley client itself is not an individual).
Eligibility is subject to change. American Express may cancel your Card Account and participation in this program if you do not maintain an eligible account.
SpaethCo likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by dw
In my statement this week there was an immediate change to the card’s Program Eligibility terms, though I don’t have the old ones to reference so I’m not sure what the difference is (but it doesn’t seem like it would impact most people anyway:

Effective immediately, the Supplement to the Cardmember Agreement is amended by deleting the Things you should know about this program sub-section in its entirety and replacing it with the following:

Program Eligibility

The Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley is only available to you if you have an eligible account with Morgan Stanley Smith Barney LLC (Morgan Stanley).
An eligible account is a brokerage account with Morgan Stanley (i) held in your name, (ii) held by a trust where you are both the grantor and trustee of such trust, or (iii) held as a beneficial owner of a personal holding company, a non-operating limited liability company, a non-operating limited partnership, or a similar legal entity.
American Express will only issue the Platinum Card® from American Express exclusively for Morgan Stanley to (1) an eligible Morgan Stanley client who is an
individual; and (2) an individual associated with an eligible Morgan Stanley client (if the eligible Morgan Stanley client itself is not an individual).
Eligibility is subject to change. American Express may cancel your Card Account and participation in this program if you do not maintain an eligible account.
sounds like pretty standard language. i assume the prior language was very similar.

see old FM blog posts:
https://frequentmiler.com/morgan-sta...account-apply/
https://frequentmiler.com/morgan-stanley-amex/
Old Oct 9, 2021, 6:47 pm

What's interesting with the new language is that previously employer-sponsored plans were excluded. With the new language this sounds like someone with a StockPlan account could stop at opening the Access Direct account and not need to also open a CashPlus account to open the MS Amex cards.

Tin foil hat observation: in theory, this would also allow people with Access Direct accounts to keep their MS Platinum card if the CashPlus accounts were to be discontinued.
dw likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 7:05 pm
dw

Originally Posted by SpaethCo
What's interesting with the new language is that previously employer-sponsored plans were excluded. With the new language this sounds like someone with a StockPlan account could stop at opening the Access Direct account and not need to also open a CashPlus account to open the MS Amex cards.
It’s definitely interesting how on the one hand they are delaying the engagement bonus for people with only Access Investing accounts until the first anniversary (presumably to cut out churners), but on the other hand making the MS Amex open to a greater group of potential applicants.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I had a second call with MS today, first was earlier this week with a front line person and today was with a guy that described himself as a supervisor. He said he's been fielding many of these complaints and that corporate policy is that as of now, they're not making exceptions or changing their mind. I vented at him, professionally and calmly, and I could tell he was tired of getting yelled at. He said well you'll get the engagement bonus in 12 months, to which I retorted until your company decides to change the T&Cs and eliminate it entirely and tell us to pound sand. He had no response other than I understand why you might feel that way but there is no plan to do that.

As much as I'd like to vote with my feet, this card renews in December so I'll get one more year at the $550 annual fee, and in theory the $695 engagement bonus next summer. Then probably cancel Dec. 2022. Very frustrating and slimy to say the least, and they're just hiding behind the "we can change the T&Cs as needed" excuse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.