Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Dr Jabadski
Note: If you don't have a qualifying investment account, or if your only investment account is an Access Investing account, there is no longer an Engagement Bonus in the first year of having the CashPlus Platinum account.

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
… I’m uncertain as to the requirements and procedures for a thread to have a Wiki(post). As with the New Platinum Card: To-Do List thread, might this thread qualify for a Wiki?
Originally Posted by mia
Click: Thread Tools > Create a Wikipost and start one.
Okay mia, you’re on. (Disclaimer: I have never applied for any of these MS accounts ... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once .)
Recommended step-by-step guide if goal is MS AmEx Platinum card with bonus and effectively no annual fee as of 8/1/21:

- Open MS Access Investing account (to establish the MS relationship) using online application with $5,000.

- Wait a few days.

- Open Platinum CashPlus account (requires existing MS relationship), must be opened by phone or through an advisor, cannot be done online.

- Fund Platinum CashPlus account with $25K.

- Wait a few days.

- Confirm CashPlus account's Account Fee Status page shows “Morgan Stanley Investment Relationship = Yes”.

- Apply for MS AmEx Platinum Card via the link that shows up in the CashPlus account once it's open.

- $5,000 monthly deposit or Social Security deposit in any amount and $25,000 Average Daily Cash Balance in the Bank Deposit Program to avoid Platinum CashPlus Monthly Account Fee.

- Meet minimum spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card, as of 8/1/21: $6,000 within 6 months to receive sign-up bonus.

- Confirm $695 Annual Engagement Bonus posts to Platinum CashPlus account approximately 6 weeks after credit card approval. (As of 8/1/21, considerable discussion as to whether the FIRST Annual Engagement Bonus is paid within first few months of credit card account opening or at about 1 year after credit card account opening.)

- $1,000+ yearly spending requirement on the AmEx Platinum card needed to avoid having to pay taxes on the Engagement Bonus. (This language was removed from the disclosure statement after the Engagement Bonus was increased to $695.)

- Enjoy the sign-up bonus and all other AmEx Plat perks, don’t eat or drink too much .

Notes:

All accounts can be opened the same day, best to wait a few days between account openings/applications to ensure each successive account is fully integrated into MS systems to avoid problems.

Few or no reports of MS AmEx Platinum credit card applications being declined for people with Access Investing and Platinum CashPlus accounts, seems once that MS relationship has been established, credit card approval is almost automatic.

The credit card will count toward Chase’s 5/24.

Premier CashPlus not eligible for $695 Annual Engagement Bonus for the MS AmEx Platinum Card.

MS launched Access Investing in December 2017, launched CashPlus in January 2020.

Print Wikipost

Morgan Stanley American Express Platinum Card (2012 - 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2021, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Why would Morgan Stanley leave the interest rate at 0.01% rather than adapt to the market?
because they would rather keep the interest they make instead of passing it on to their customers...
Old Jul 14, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
Why would Morgan Stanley leave the interest rate at 0.01% rather than adapt to the market?
Deposits over $20MM are swept into MGPXX, which appears to be designed to maximize tax-free, risk-free yield. Deposits below that threshold pay interest based on a tiered structure. Nothing obligates MS to rebate the risk-free yield to low-value, low-AUM clients. How else would you expect them to fund the $695 rebate?

Put another away, did any bank during the 2010s provide at-market interest rates for demand deposit accounts, outside of products explicitly marketed as HYSAs? I'm not aware of any, particularly for clients with assets around $25k. Yield spreads were a significant income source for all brokerages until recent times.

This offer feels TGTBT, but I expect MS to make money in the following ways: (1) share of card swipe interchange from Amex, (2) cross-selling investment products with AUM fees, and (3) yield spread on CashPlus balance, which can only increase from present levels. There's also the defensive value of providing an all-in-one banking solution, preventing valuable clients from exploring other options. Nothing wrong with this... feels like a win-win-win to me.
SpaethCo likes this.

Last edited by esquiar; Jul 14, 2021 at 4:45 pm Reason: fix
Old Jul 14, 2021, 4:48 pm

Ignore.
SpaethCo likes this.

Last edited by Stockjock; Jul 21, 2021 at 4:40 pm
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by esquiar
...CashPlus is not necessary if all you want to do is hold MS Plat. ...
Is CashPlus necessary for MS Platinum application? Is CashPlus necessary for the annual $695 Engagement Bonus?

(These accounts seem like the perfect place to put funds previously held at BankDirect and/or Bask Bank.)
Old Jul 14, 2021, 5:30 pm

Is CashPlus necessary for MS Platinum application?
No. You just need to be a Morgan Stanley client to apply for the MS Amex Platinum card.

Is CashPlus necessary for the annual $695 Engagement Bonus?
Yes.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:44 pm

i have a scheduled call with a ms financial advisor tomorrow morning so i can open a cashplus account. i found her email on the ms directory for our local branch and emailed her about opening a cashplus account and she replied and said she would be happy to explain the process of opening one but also discuss our current financial needs. anyone else deal with a financial advisor trying to sell them on other services? should i just be straight up with her and tell her the main reason i'm doing this is to get the engagement bonus for the platinum card?
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:52 pm

Ignore.

Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by ruxpin810
i have a scheduled call with a ms financial advisor tomorrow morning so i can open a cashplus account. i found her email on the ms directory for our local branch and emailed her about opening a cashplus account and she replied and said she would be happy to explain the process of opening one but also discuss our current financial needs. anyone else deal with a financial advisor trying to sell them on other services? should i just be straight up with her and tell her the main reason i'm doing this is to get the engagement bonus for the platinum card?
Sounds like she’s doing her job. Assuming you only have an Access Investing account and you don’t want a managed account, then you don’t have to waste her time. You can just call the Virtual Advisor number from your login and they’ll transfer you to someone who will set it up.

Professional advising can be worth the fees if you’re too risk averse to manage your own money. Last year I received a small bit of inheritance, but I kept it in cash and missed the big recovery. Lost out on a 50% gain, but I did avoid an AUM fee. If I fail to hold and buy more when the next crash comes, I’m going to hire a pro
Stockjock and SpaethCo like this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 5:34 pm

Ignore.
m.photog likes this.

Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:42 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by dw
I wonder if it went pending for Amex to do a back end verification that you had a MS account. Out of curiosity- do you have just the Access Investing Account or both Access Investing and Cash Plus, and how long were the accounts opened before applying for the Amex?
For what it's worth I believe that both my accounts were open a day or two before they took my application over the phone from the local office. I do not believe any funds had arrived in either account yet.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:45 pm

Programs: MS AMEX PLAT- Marriott Titanium-HH G- UA Silver-JPM RC . DL-AA-BA
Originally Posted by Stockjock
There are some things in life worth spending money on. One's financial future is near the top of that list, in my view.
I agree, I take an active part in my investments but the fees I pay are worth it. I didn't always believe that.
Stockjock likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
(With all due respect for financial professionals.) Fees and commissions paid to investment advisors or managers or brokerages are a complete and absolute WASTE of money. Any fee paid is a direct decrease to one’s earnings and appreciation. They all compare themselves to an index and rave when they beat the index by 1% yet are remarkably quiet when they underperform compared to the index. None of them, mutual fund managers included, consistently beat the market year after year after year.

Much better off with a portfolio of cash and no-load index funds (or leveraged index funds). My several close relatives who utilize an advisor are basically paying (a lot) for some hand-holding. (Which is fine if one understands they’re paying for hand-holding.) There’s no evidence at all that professionals do any better over time than individuals, and it’s impossible to prove one way or the other.
…(FWIW, a year ago (4 months into COVID) I did contact MS. Ended up exchanging a few emails, sending a listing of my current investments, and having a conference call with 3 Wealth Advisors/Portfolio Management Directors of a Morgan Stanley Wealth Management team near my home. Bottom line, mainly due to my desire for self-direction and that my portfolio is 80% unrealized gains which I’m very hesitant to sell due to tax implications, was that they did not think MS had anything more beneficial.)
…These accounts (Access Investing and CashAccess) are relatively new (1-2 years), perhaps why the MS folks I spoke with a year ago didn’t mention it. (Or maybe they just didn’t care to recommend something other than something generating earnings for them. ) …
Even not knowing their motivation, I’ll give those 3 MS financial professionals credit for their honesty and telling me that they had nothing to offer in terms of improving upon my 40 years of investing.
Pocatello likes this.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Jul 16, 2021 at 9:48 am
Old Jul 16, 2021, 10:03 am

Fees and commissions paid to investment advisors or managers or brokerages are a complete and absolute WASTE of money.
My several close relatives who utilize an advisor are basically paying (a lot) for some hand-holding. (Which is fine if one understands they’re paying for hand-holding.)
If you think AUM fees are expensive, you should see the cost of poor financial decisions.

The math of investing is easy, but returns are largely dictated by investor behavior. It's far too easy to discount this as "just hand-holding" when you have data like Fidelity's internal study that their best performing investors in self-directed retirement accounts were inactive (old job 401k forgotten about) or dead. https://theconservativeincomeinvesto...tors-are-dead/

I lean more toward the Boglehead-ish side of investing so I have the same reservations on AUM fees, but I also recognize that for a lot of people taking away the control of investment decisions through robo advisors or at least having a traditional full service advisor where you need to have a sanity-check discussion to change allocations will lead to better outcomes.

In this thread alone we now have 40+ pages of posts of answering the same questions repeatedly for what is essentially a 3-step process. We all tend to need more help than we think we do.
Stockjock and macmedic like this.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by SpaethCo
…returns are largely dictated by investor behavior …

Fidelity's internal study …

We all tend to need more help than we think we do.
Good points. Absolutely returns are dictated by behavior.

A Fidelity study is biased, it’s not evidence that paid professionals do any better than individuals.

Disagree, re help. It’s, like most other things, a bell-shaped curve. Some need much more help than they think they do, some need much less, the vast majority are in between.
Old Jul 16, 2021, 10:48 am

Ignore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.