Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Starwood Preferred Guest 50% bonus (2:1) for MR (USA) points transfers March 2012.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Preferred Guest 50% bonus (2:1) for MR (USA) points transfers March 2012.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:14 am
Original Poster

I just logged into my Amex MR account to see what the new transfer bonus is for March, and it looks like they are offering a 50% bonus on points to SPG. The normal 1000 MR to 333 SPG is now 1000 MR to 500 SPG. Still not a great ratio, but clearly an improvement.

What is the consensus on the value of this bonus?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Exec, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kdoughboy
I just logged into my Amex MR account to see what the new transfer bonus is for March, and it looks like they are offering a 50% bonus on points to SPG. The normal 1000 MR to 333 SPG is now 1000 MR to 500 SPG. Still not a great ratio, but clearly an improvement.

What is the consensus on the value of this bonus?
If there is an identifiable booking where the transfer makes sense, maybe, but I doubt many will jump on it just to stock up on SPG points.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Now now, If they made it 1:1 for a 24hour period. I would transfer 300k AMEX MR ASAP. Then I would have some bad arse vacations when combined with my airline miles and I could for once in my life not spend any coin.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:26 am

I just looked at my MR account (Preferred Rewards Gold card), and I've got a 50% Starwood transfer bonus for the month of March. No idea how generally available this offer is, but I figured people may want to check their accounts.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Yeah I could see topping off my SPG account if I had a reward redemption in mind, but otherwise I'd sit tight.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by krpjr
Now now, If they made it 1:1 for a 24hour period. I would transfer 300k AMEX MR ASAP. Then I would have some bad arse vacations when combined with my airline miles and I could for once in my life not spend any coin.
Hear hear!
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: DL Diamond
wouldn't this theoretically allow a 1:1 transfer to united?
Old Mar 1, 2012, 9:59 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
wouldn't this theoretically allow a 1:1 transfer to united?
No. The standard transfer rate from Membership Rewards to Starwood is 3:1. The promotion makes it 2:1.

40,000 Membership Rewards
20,000 Starpoints
12,500 UA
-0R-
25,000 AA, US (for example)
Old Mar 1, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Not terrible. Now make 1:1 transfers a standard feature and it'll make up for all the benefits and partners lost.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:27 pm

Would be nice if this was a 1:1 partner to make up for all the other partner losses in the past year. Virgin America at an atrocious 2:1 ratio doesn't make up for the loss of CO, Southwest, Airtran, etc...
Old Mar 1, 2012, 1:55 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Ringside
Would be nice if this was a 1:1 partner...
Agreed, but it won't happen because Starwood doesn't want opportunistic transfers through their program, they want us to demonstrate loyalty to Starwood by staying at their properties and using their branded credit card.

Bear in mind that some cards earn two or three Membership Rewards points per dollar, which makes the transfer effectively $1:2:1 in those categories.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Agreed, but it won't happen because Starwood doesn't want opportunistic transfers through their program, they want us to demonstrate loyalty to Starwood by staying at their properties and using their branded credit card.

Bear in mind that some cards earn two or three Membership Rewards points per dollar, which makes the transfer effectively $1:2:1 in those categories.
The real problem is that Amex is losing valuable 1:1 ratio partners has not replaced them with any big name hotel or airline partners at a 1:1 ratio making their program much less attractive versus Chase Ultimate Rewards and SPG.

I also disagree with your assertion that people are earning two or three points per every dollar. The categories are extremely limited like gas or internet bill and capped at 50K or 100K.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia

mia, am I correct in assessing that this is still the most generous transfer rate that we've seen in quite some time (or ever)? I remember the 30% awhile back, and of course we see the 20% every once and again, but I don't ever remember 50%.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by Ringside
The real problem is that Amex is losing valuable 1:1 ratio partners has not replaced them with any big name hotel or airline partners at a 1:1 ratio making their program much less attractive versus Chase Ultimate Rewards and SPG.

I also disagree with your assertion that people are earning two or three points per every dollar. The categories are extremely limited like gas or internet bill and capped at 50K or 100K.

I agree, but via bonus point mall, I get 4x spending on almost everything I buy online. From a business spending perspective, Guitar Center is my #1 yearly expense and I can get custom quotes from the B2B rep at the store sent via the website (and check out via bonus point mall). If only I could buy AdWords GC's through the bonus points mall, I'd be in business.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
No increase here in the UK Still 2 MR points to 1 SPG, but remember we only get 1 MR per GBP rather than per USD as you folks do...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.