Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Merchant Category Being Reported Incorrectly for Bonus Points Categories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

I have the new business gold card which provides double points on shipping charges. I use a USPS postal reseller called Express One in order to get commercial postal rates.

The problem is that this vendor shows up as "Other-miscellaneous," and thus I do not get the bonus points. The appropriate category would be "Business services - mailing and shipping." This vendor does not engage in any other business activities aside from selling postage. Has anybody ever successfully petitioned the vendor or AMEX to get a category changed? Any ideas how I would go about that?
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:33 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
No useful experience, but for information I think the category is often selected by the acquiring bank, rather than the merchant.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: All of the Above
I too have that problem, but I it's going to work out better for me. An advertiser that I use (a national radio company), is not categorized as Advertising, but as a telephone company. So I was hoping to get the bonus points for my Biz Gold, and didn't, but I SM'ed Am Ex and they gave me a courtesy adjustment. The good news, is now I can charge them to my Ink Bold, and get 5x points for telephone/communications services, all from running radio advertisements.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidAL
I too have that problem, but I it's going to work out better for me. An advertiser that I use (a national radio company), is not categorized as Advertising, but as a telephone company. So I was hoping to get the bonus points for my Biz Gold, and didn't, but I SM'ed Am Ex and they gave me a courtesy adjustment. The good news, is now I can charge them to my Ink Bold, and get 5x points for telephone/communications services, all from running radio advertisements.
That's a good score! 5X points is huge on what are likely some large expenses on your end! I will email AMEX about a courtesy adjustment. I wonder if I can just email them monthly and they'll fix it? I'll post the results here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.