Will I lose my points after card closing?

Old Feb 23, 12, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Will I lose my points after card closing?

Hi all,

I have both Premier Reward Gold card and Business Gold Reward card from amex, and have received 25k membership reward points from each of them.

I am thinking about closing my PRG since the annual fee is coming up. If I do so, am I going to lose the 25k membership reward points earned through that card?

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 12, 1:41 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
No, provided both cards are linked to the same Membership Rewards account.
Old Feb 25, 12, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by mia View Post
No, provided both cards are linked to the same Membership Rewards account.
Let me elaborate more:

1. You must have at least 1 charge/credit account remain open (which use MR as the reward program)

2. You must have all MR accounts merged before you close out your charge/credit accounts.
Old Feb 25, 12, 6:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
My elderly mother wishes to maintain her almost 50 year history with AMEX as well as her membership rewards account but does not want to continue to pay the annual gold card fee. Anyone have recommendations on how she might best accomplish that or a much lower fee? Thanks.
Old Feb 25, 12, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by point bonita lighthouse View Post
My elderly mother wishes to maintain her almost 50 year history with AMEX as well as her membership rewards account but does not want to continue to pay the annual gold card fee. Anyone have recommendations on how she might best accomplish that or a much lower fee? Thanks.
Get Blue from American Express.
Old Feb 13, 13, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am fairly new to the credit card programs, so just to confirm my thinking...

I have had corporate card for a long time (10+ years) and enrolled it in MR many years ago.

Last year, I picked up Gold Premiere Reward (personal) and received the bonus points. When I linked the cards, my MR account transferred to the gold card, with the corporate card as an additional card on my MR account.

I am up for gold card annual fee ($195) and not sure it is worth keeping.
  • Chase UR transfer partners better suited for me
  • Loss of Amex MR Shopping Mall
  • High annual fee

So, I will call and ask if they will waive or reduce fee (not likely, not a huge $ on this card, though decent spend on the corporate).

If I decide to cancel:
* I need to have them re-instate Corporate card as primary card to maintain my MR points, correct?
*Is there any risk to loosing any of the MR points obtained with the gold card? Either sign up bonus or spend bonus?

Does this sound right? Anything else I need to be concerned about?
Old Feb 13, 13, 5:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hertz Pres. Circle, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I don't know much about the corporate card but as long as it also earns MR points, you should be safe. The points are based on your account and not per card. So if you have multiple cards that earn MR points, the points should be "assigned" to the highest level card you have. I guess PRG trumps the corporate card in your case.

If you want to play it safe, get the regular AMEX Blue card that earns MR Express points. So even if you have no other AMEX cards that earns MR points (except this Blue one of course), your points will remain in your account because you have an active card that earns some sort of MR points.

You won't lose the signup bonus since you had it for about a year. Some members try to cancel too soon and I think those will risk losing their points.

Search this Thread