FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   MR Points: Platinum vs. Gold (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1315837-mr-points-platinum-vs-gold.html)

AUDirt Feb 19, 2012 8:33 am

MR Points: Platinum vs. Gold

(Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I did search but didn't find the answer I was looking for.)

Based on what I've been reading, it seems as if there are flavors of the Gold card that earn more points than the Platinum. For example, I've seen ads on this site for Gold cards that earn 3x on flight purchases, 2x on gas, and 1x on everything else. This is considerably better than the 2x/flights, 1x/everything plan I've got with my platinum card.

So, does the Gold card actually earn people more MR points? Is this the case?

And, if so, is there some factor that offsets the difference in point earnings? For example, do Gold cardholders earn the 20% rebate on point redemptions?

(Thanks in advance for the help. I've actually tried to do this research on my own but the information that's "front and center" on americanexpress.com doesn't seem to tell the whole story.)

reft Feb 19, 2012 9:18 am

Originally Posted by AUDirt (Post 18043820)
So, does the Gold card actually earn people more MR points? Is this the case?

AMEX has a gold card called "Premier Rewards Gold" aka "PRG" that earns according to the schedule you mentioned: 3X Airfare, 2X gas/groceries, 1X all else.

It has a $175 annual fee vs $125 for the 'plain' Gold, first year usually waived (unlike the Plat)

Some AMEX cardholders have both the Plat and PRG to take advantage of the PRG bonus categories. They would pay the annual fee on both cards after year 1.

Plat points are Membership Rewards First (MRF), but if you have a PRG and Plat associated with the same MR account, the PRG points will credit as MRF.

And, if so, is there some factor that offsets the difference in point earnings? For example, do Gold cardholders earn the 20% rebate on point redemptions?
This is a MRF benefit, not a MR one.

Played correctly, you can charge the bonus categories on the PRG, your other purchases on the Plat and maximize your points that way -- if the combined annual fees of $625 makes it worth it to you. You can add the PRG for a year with no annual fee, then make a decision in 12 months if you want to retain it.

If you want the PRG, there are referral offers that may get you 10K-25K MR points as a sign up bonus, after spend, if you are eligible. Look in this forum at the stickies at the top.

Note: the above refers to the Personal cards.

AUDirt Feb 19, 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by reft (Post 18044004)
AMEX has a gold card called "Premier Rewards Gold" aka "PRG" that earns according to the schedule you mentioned: 3X Airfare, 2X gas/groceries, 1X all else.

It has a $175 annual fee vs $125 for the 'plain' Gold, first year usually waived (unlike the Plat)

Some AMEX cardholders have both the Plat and PRG to take advantage of the PRG bonus categories. They would pay the annual fee on both cards after year 1.

Plat points are Membership Rewards First (MRF), but if you have a PRG and Plat associated with the same MR account, the PRG points will credit as MRF.

This is a MRF benefit, not a MR one.

Played correctly, you can charge the bonus categories on the PRG, your other purchases on the Plat and maximize your points that way -- if the combined annual fees of $625 makes it worth it to you. You can add the PRG for a year with no annual fee, then make a decision in 12 months if you want to retain it.

If you want the PRG, there are referral offers that may get you 10K-25K MR points as a sign up bonus, after spend, if you are eligible. Look in this forum at the stickies at the top.

Note: the above refers to the Personal cards.

Great information -- thanks! Are there any other major benefits of the MRF program? My travel patterns for work are changing and I'm debating whether or not the $450 is worth it.

reft Feb 19, 2012 11:14 am

Originally Posted by AUDirt (Post 18044480)
Are there any other major benefits of the MRF program?

From the horse's mouth: http://www.membershiprewards.com/tie...omparison.aspx The page discusses the benefits of the various levels of MR, not the benefits of the cards themselves.

AUDirt Feb 19, 2012 11:44 am

Originally Posted by reft (Post 18044568)
From the horse's mouth: http://www.membershiprewards.com/tie...omparison.aspx The page discusses the benefits of the various levels of MR, not the benefits of the cards themselves.

Thanks for the help.

DavidAL Feb 19, 2012 1:35 pm

AUDirt,

I've got the PRG now (fee free 1st year), and will probably get the Plat later this year to get the $200 airline credit in 2012 and in 2013, as well as Global Entry for free. I'm holding off till some international travel I've got in June, and hoping that there's a better Plat offer between now and then, but will pull the trigger before then. I would only get the Plat for the airline credits, club visits for free, and GE for free. I won't spend anything on it other than enough to meet the minimum.

By the way, war eagle. :D

AUDirt Feb 20, 2012 8:57 am

Originally Posted by DavidAL (Post 18045211)
AUDirt,

By the way, war eagle. :D

Thanks for the info -- I always forget about the airline credit because I currently have status with DL. But my travel patterns are changing and my corporate travel just fell off a cliff, so I really shouldn't be so quick to dismiss that benefit.

And a war eagle, back to you, btw.