Search

Amex Premier Rewards Gold App Question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA BAEC
Amex Premier Rewards Gold App Question

Hi,
I cancelled my Platinum Card in December when fee was due - really couldn't justify the fee. I still have SPG and an old Amex Blue Card.
Would like to apply for the Gold Premier Rewards card, do you think I can get approved through a referral to get the 25K points?
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: All of the Above
Depends on your credit history, recent inquires, etc. You can get the bonus points if you haven't had the PRG card, even if you've had the Plat card.

Last edited by mia; Feb 8, 2012 at 11:35 am
Old Mar 6, 2012, 4:49 pm

But I'd like the 75K offer that is floating around. Anywhere I can go to get that?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
If you have a business, wait until the AmEx Gold Open Rewards 75K signon bonus appears again. There was a one-day promo last November, and another one just this Feb 29th. Other than that, there are no recent reports of non-targeted 75K sign on bonuses.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Rookie question, like OP, I have AMEX PLAT, annual fee came up, I want to cancel since I can't justify the $450. I also applied and was approved for the 2/29 Buisness Gold offer. I understand that Plat has a MR First and Gold has MR, but what is the difference/pros/cons?

BTW, my gold MR was linked and upgraded to Plat MRF.

I want to factor that decision to decide if it is a good idea to cancel or not the PLAT.

[Moderator edit] I currently have an Amex Plat, that gives MR First, but also got this Gold Business card, i want to cancel the Plat, will my plat points transfer to MR from my Gold? BTW, my gold account was merged (upgraded) to MRF. So will that mean a downgrade?

Last edited by mia; Mar 10, 2012 at 5:28 am Reason: Combined cross-posted question from another thread
Old Mar 10, 2012, 5:09 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The differences between standard Membership Rewards and First are:

• First members receive a 20% refund when using Pay with Points to purchase travel at americanexpress.com/travel.
  • First members can borrow 60,000 points through Points Advance, standard members only 15,000.
  • First members earn one extra point per dollar when shopping through americanexpress.com/earn.
  • First redemption catalog includes giftcards from some high margin retailers not available to standard members.

Points accumulate in a Membership Rewards account. When you add or cancel a card the points are not transferred, the MR account is simply reclassified to match the level of your most expensive card. If you close the Platinum card your point balance will not change, but the account will show standard Membership Rewards rather than First.

Last edited by mia; Mar 10, 2012 at 5:37 am
Old Mar 10, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: (PM)AA SPG (Marriott), Hilton
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I want to factor that decision to decide if it is a good idea to cancel or not the PLAT.
The PRG can be a better rewards earner but if you didn't have any reason to use MRF points for a while, you could downgrade to the PRG and regular MR points, and upgrade to the Plat again later if you needed your points to be MRF again. (Subject to AMEX continuing to keep the existing rules.)

Points aside, you can get $200 back from an airline, $100 more back from a GOES application.

Other factors: With a little attention, AMEX promo's such Gift Chain, Small Business Saturday and the current twitter promo's you may be able to get statement credits that help offset the card fee, but this would apply to a PRG card too. This does assume they continue to offer these promotions.

The purchase protection limits on the Plat are greater than on the Gold. I think the Plat purchase protection also covers loss, which the Gold doesn't.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by mia
The differences between standard Membership Rewards and First are:

• First members receive a 20% refund when using Pay with Points to purchase travel at americanexpress.com/travel.
  • First members can borrow 60,000 points through Points Advance, standard members only 15,000.
  • First members earn one extra point per dollar when shopping through americanexpress.com/earn.
  • First redemption catalog includes giftcards from some high margin retailers not available to standard members.

Points accumulate in a Membership Rewards account. When you add or cancel a card the points are not transferred, the MR account is simply reclassified to match the level of your most expensive card. If you close the Platinum card your point balance will not change, but the account will show standard Membership Rewards rather than First.
Thanks for this detailed answer. I also took a look at the pointsguy summary, http://thepointsguy.com/2011/04/maxi...rship-rewards/

So if I cancel my PLAT, the MR balance will stay the same, it will be a downgrade from MR First to regular and I will forfeit the above mentioned beneifts.

I will call AMEX to see if they have any type of retention offer. Although I did enjoy AMEX Plat the first year, I do not see use of it this year and the $450 is out of my budget
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by reft
The PRG can be a better rewards earner but if you didn't have any reason to use MRF points for a while, you could downgrade to the PRG and regular MR points, and upgrade to the Plat again later if you needed your points to be MRF again. (Subject to AMEX continuing to keep the existing rules.)

Points aside, you can get $200 back from an airline, $100 more back from a GOES application.

Other factors: With a little attention, AMEX promo's such Gift Chain, Small Business Saturday and the current twitter promo's you may be able to get statement credits that help offset the card fee, but this would apply to a PRG card too. This does assume they continue to offer these promotions.

The purchase protection limits on the Plat are greater than on the Gold. I think the Plat purchase protection also covers loss, which the Gold doesn't.
I did enjoy my AMEX PLAT did take advantage of Small Business, Gift Chain, etc, also The GOES and airline beneift for 2011 & 2012. I did have a very nice sign up bonus plus bump the bonus, plus used aadmirals/priority pass dozens of times, do like the departures magazine and was also invited to a party in the park hyatt which was nice, but in 2012 I had an addition to the family and I will be grounded! So I dont see much use in 2012.The card is fanatastic, well worth the fee for those who can afford it and AMEX CS is best in industry.

I will call AMEX to see if they have any type of retention offer. Although I did enjoy AMEX Plat the first year, I do not see use of it this year and the $450 is out of my budget. Maybe in the future when my travel picks up I can reapply.

Now to pay medical bills on Gold Business and try to reach the $10K spend!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.