Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Registering/Linking Corporate Platinum to new Personal Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

What am I doing wrong here? I activated the card, used existing ID to register, got error says to call number.

I call, the rep can't link together. She says to wait 48 hours and to call an "interactive" division number.

Anyone successful is linking/combining personal platinum and corporate platinum MR points?

I also have a Zync card with another user ID but I'm hesitating on enrolling the card to that one as I want to ensure that I can "take home" my corporate card's MR points.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: Continental One Pass
My wife went through this with a regular green corporate card and a new preferred rewards gold card (she had the corporate card first). When she tried to activate the gold card, it gave her an error message.

During the first phone call, the rep swore they were linked and it would take up to 2 days for them to be linked. In reality he de-enrolled the PRG card from the membership rewards program altogether.

It took 3 phone calls to AMEX, with the final one lasting for almost an hour before the rep managed to find someone in the corporate card division who knew what he was doing. It works now though and the points are linked.

To make a long story short, you aren't doing anything wrong, but you run a 75% chance that whoever you speak to at AMEX will mess it up.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dm84
My wife went through this with a regular green corporate card and a new preferred rewards gold card (she had the corporate card first). When she tried to activate the gold card, it gave her an error message.

During the first phone call, the rep swore they were linked and it would take up to 2 days for them to be linked. In reality he de-enrolled the PRG card from the membership rewards program altogether.

It took 3 phone calls to AMEX, with the final one lasting for almost an hour before the rep managed to find someone in the corporate card division who knew what he was doing. It works now though and the points are linked.

To make a long story short, you aren't doing anything wrong, but you run a 75% chance that whoever you speak to at AMEX will mess it up.
In your wife's situation, what would happen if your wife left the job and the corporate card were cancelled? Would the points remain as is? I am asking because I am planning on leaving next month. I can probably convince the company to keep it open for a few months but I'd rather "bank" the points vs rushing to use them.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by jimikim
In your wife's situation, what would happen if your wife left the job and the corporate card were cancelled? Would the points remain as is? I am asking because I am planning on leaving next month. I can probably convince the company to keep it open for a few months but I'd rather "bank" the points vs rushing to use them.
I can't speak for everyone because apparently different companies have different policies on how this works, but in her situation she would keep the points as long as she kept the PRG card open.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Man what a nightmare...I found a rep who basically said she was de-registering the new personal platinum card from my personal account (I have a Zync card - but when I had logged in the plat wasn't there - rep said it was "auto-enrolled" there) and then linking it to the corporate platinum account.

After the call I logged in to my corp card account and the MR information is gone and it says "You are not currently authorized to redeem points and view Membership Rewards account information. Please have the primary Cardmember authorize you to redeem and view account information by updating the Cardmember Authorization section on the Points Summary page." The personal card is not on the screen either.

Hopefully this just means the system is updating? I'll check back tomorrow to see status. I also asked the rep if I would pay the bill through the corp card account and she said no. Makes no sense.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:30 am

To further add to my saga, they successfully linked my wife's PRG and corporate card, but forgot to link the additional PRG card she got for me. So when the PRG statement closed, only the charges she made show up as pending points. Even though she made me an account manager, they won't talk to me, so she has to call them yet again.

I'm starting to wonder why people love AMEX so much. They're making relatively simple tasks seem impossible.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
I had the same problem...and it took NUMEROUS calls to Amex to get it sorted.
Was extremely annoying.

Eventually I had to speak with the web site support people who finally figured out how to do it.

I don't think there is any easy way except to keep calling, and not to accept a "check back in two days and it should be fixed" brush off--stay on the phone with them until it is done. Ask to speak to a supervisor if they can't make it happen.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by corporateslave
I had the same problem...and it took NUMEROUS calls to Amex to get it sorted.
Was extremely annoying.

Eventually I had to speak with the web site support people who finally figured out how to do it.

I don't think there is any easy way except to keep calling, and not to accept a "check back in two days and it should be fixed" brush off--stay on the phone with them until it is done. Ask to speak to a supervisor if they can't make it happen.
What it made it more difficult for me was my wife added me as an authorized user, yet each time I called AMEX refused to talk to me, saying they needed the primary account holder. My wife travels 75-90% of the time for work - she doesn't have time to call AMEX.

Anyway after the last call, it appears the problem is actually fixed. All 3 cards are now linked. My fingers are crossed.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

I called back last Friday and the MR rep did something on her system to basically reactivate it (which the rep that made the change didn't do? ).

Anyway, I can now see the points in BOTH my personal login and corporate login. However, when I log into my personal account, every time I click on the rewards section, it asks me to choose which MR account I want to see (the Zync one or the Platinum).

Now the question is, when I leave the company and they deactivate my card, will I still retain the points as is.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jimikim
Now the question is, when I leave the company and they deactivate my card, will I still retain the points as is.
Are you the primary account holder for the card?
You need to have the authority to manage the corporate points, in which case when you leave you can call and have Amex move the points to your personal account.

However, since Zync uses those express points, I don't know if its as easy to transfer points from a platinum corporate card--you may or may not need an amex card with a regular membership rewards account (personal green, gold, plat). Just call to confirm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.