Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just got 50K AMEX Points. Don't know why. Transfer NOW or Relax?

Old Jan 30, 12, 9:00 am
Original Poster

So I just had 50K added to my account for this and I want to transfer to BA before tomorrow (the 30% bonus).

My concern is that I'm really not sure what the points are for. I signed up for the 5K pay over time bonus over the weekend so could it be an error? But I also did the 10K per new authorized user last fall and never got credit for that (and I signed up 5), but I didn't think those ended up going through.

Assume the posting was incorrect and should have been 5K, what happens if I transfer the points out? I don't spend a great deal on this card and would not be able to pay the 45K back with credit card spend. (but I certainly don't want to be charged for 45K points!)

EDIT - This is a Business Gold account and my statement just closed as well

Last edited by nic3456; Jan 30, 12 at 9:07 am Reason: more info
Old Jan 30, 12, 9:15 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by nic3456 View Post
...10K per new authorized user last fall and never got credit for that (and I signed up 5)...
American Express calls authorized users "supplementary cardholders". It appears to be this offer.
Old Jan 30, 12, 11:22 am

nic3456 -- I received the same surprise this morning! I had added 10 authorized users a while ago. Since that time I have called a few times, and was denied each time because the offer was targeted towards cardholders in South America. Was surprised to see them in my account this morning, nice way to start the day out!
Old Jan 30, 12, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA, BA, CO
Just got 50K AMEX Points. Don't know why. Transfer NOW? or Relax?

Hi guys.

So all of a sudden I have 50K points sitting in my account. Not really sure why, how, etc. Do I transfer them right out to Delta or BA right now? Or do I relax? Has there been instances where someone got AMEX points and then had them taken away???

thanks
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by Igor718 View Post
Hi guys.

So all of a sudden I have 50K points sitting in my account. Not really sure why, how, etc. Do I transfer them right out to Delta or BA right now? Or do I relax? Has there been instances where someone got AMEX points and then had them taken away???

thanks
Sounds like you just made the spend on a credit card?
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:05 pm

Nope ... I already got my bonuses on these AMEX gold cards. Maybe my 5 extra authorized user credit cards kicked in. Which by the way they then said I can't get. I don't know. Is there a chance that they can take miles away tomorrow?

I want to transfer to Delta and some to BA but if I can hold them for now, I'd rather do that
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
I want to transfer to Delta and some to BA but if I can hold them for now, I'd rather do that
I am not sure I understand this but I would recommend never transfering points unless you have a specefic reward in mind and you are ready to book.
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:14 pm

I completely agree ... this is why I don't want to rush and get the points out. Nevertheless .... kinda scared that they make take them away.
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
It is my understanding that if you transfer then and they try to take them away they will either recover them from the transfer partenr or charge you the purchase price of the points redeemed. unless you are in need of the transfer i would wait. some might say "dont call the airline" or amex in this case
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:22 pm

re

Yeah, dont move them unless you need them, its not like your gonna be able to say "what points?" .....and if amex wants to yank em back, and you used them, they could always charge you their rate for them (which is too much!!)
unless you transfer them out and shut down all your amex cards you dont have much chance keeping them if amex catches it.

better to just let them sit, if they are there in a couple of months, consider them yours......of course you could be impatient and call to confirm, do the gifthorse/mouth thing, and force them to figure it out for you, sooner than later, one way or another.
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:22 pm

Programs: Several dozen
As in a claw back? Bankers don't have claws and fangs - they are your friends. But something is making you nervous - were these MRs earned or a bank error?

I completely agree ... this is why I don't want to rush and get the points out. Nevertheless .... kinda scared that they make take them away.
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:23 pm

Programs: All of em...
ME TOO!!!

"01/30/2012 Earned Supplementary Acquisition 50,000"

I know for a fact this has to be from the 5 AU's I added to my Gold card last summer. I must have called and sent a dozen emails trying to get those points to post last year with no luck, and bam.... today 50k! WOO! Thank you AMEX for honoring your word, even if it is 5 months late! I'll take it
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:24 pm

They may take them back even if you transfer and you'll be responsible for either earning points back via spending or purchasing.
What does your activity history say?
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

I started a post earlier today. I had the same thing happen. Was yours called "Supplementary Acquisition"

Someone else also got extra points, we were both assuming it was from the authorized users from last fall.

I went ahead and transferred mine because I wanted the BA 30%.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...quisition.html
Old Jan 30, 12, 3:28 pm

I also got 50k points. I had added 5 users to one card, and 5 to another card that I cancelled last week.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: