Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring Spanish Plat AmEx to IDC/IEC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AmEx Platinum, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Iberia Plus, Club Carlson Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Transferring Spanish Plat AmEx to IDC/IEC

Hi,

I have been with AmEx since 2008 and have been a Plat member for about 5 months or so.

I will be experimenting quite a few changes in my life and that will imply on moving to three different countries in the course of 5 years, approximately.

I started investigating about transferring my Plat AmEx to an IDC/IEC but a doubt has arisen regarding the fact that it appears that IDC/IEC are not eligible for Card Transfer, thus making me pay the 550 EUR/USD annual fee again!

Frankly, I do not feel like paying the annual fee again. Do any of you think there is a way this could be negotiated? Has anyone ever tried to do this successfully?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by panyafe
Hi,

I have been with AmEx since 2008 and have been a Plat member for about 5 months or so.

I will be experimenting quite a few changes in my life and that will imply on moving to three different countries in the course of 5 years, approximately.

I started investigating about transferring my Plat AmEx to an IDC/IEC but a doubt has arisen regarding the fact that it appears that IDC/IEC are not eligible for Card Transfer, thus making me pay the 550 EUR/USD annual fee again!

Frankly, I do not feel like paying the annual fee again. Do any of you think there is a way this could be negotiated? Has anyone ever tried to do this successfully?

Thanks in advance for your help!
You are correct in saying that you can't do a Global Transfer to an IDC/IEC card.

I've got both IDC and IEC cards and my experience with Amex International Currency Cards in the UK is that they do not negotiate on anything. I guess if you spend enough with them they may be more open to waving fees.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, MeliaRewards Gold, Radisson Gold
As Trinners said, no transfer is possible to Amex Intl currency cards.

Probably due to the fact that, by all accounts, the application process and financial requirements can be substancially different for these cards vs. the country-specific products (even though they may both be euro denominated). So its likely a new full application would be required.

I also doubt that the UK teams that administer these cards would agree to waive the fee for a new account but I say that knowing nothing about your existing Spainish account or spending. Anything can happen if you are a high enough spender I guess so YMMV (as they say). Phone up, tell them about your spain account and spending and see what they say.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: BA/VS Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
When you cancel an American Express card, you will receive a prorated refund of the cardmembership fee. So you would not end up paying for the cards twice.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AmEx Platinum, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Iberia Plus, Club Carlson Gold Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Trinners
You are correct in saying that you can't do a Global Transfer to an IDC/IEC card.

I've got both IDC and IEC cards and my experience with Amex International Currency Cards in the UK is that they do not negotiate on anything. I guess if you spend enough with them they may be more open to waving fees.
Since you have IDC/IEC cards, could you tell me a bit about how their Client Services Team works? Do they provide a good service? I cannot say that I am disappointed at the level of attention given by the Spanish crew, but neither can I say that I am overly satisfied. I usually have to wait for 2 days or so for an email of mine to be responded - that is if I ever receive one!

One more thing, regarding the offers they have got, what are they like? In Spain, I receive offers for general AmEx holders and I have yet to receive anything specifically for Plat members.

Many thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by Magic01273
As Trinners said, no transfer is possible to Amex Intl currency cards.

Probably due to the fact that, by all accounts, the application process and financial requirements can be substancially different for these cards vs. the country-specific products (even though they may both be euro denominated). So its likely a new full application would be required.

I also doubt that the UK teams that administer these cards would agree to waive the fee for a new account but I say that knowing nothing about your existing Spainish account or spending. Anything can happen if you are a high enough spender I guess so YMMV (as they say). Phone up, tell them about your spain account and spending and see what they say.
Well, my spending is not precisely super high. In the last 5 months, I might have spent around 9K€-10K€ in total... perhaps they should give me a break bearing in mind that I am 24 years old and have been an AmEx holder for four years already.

What do you think?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 4:59 pm

Since you have IDC/IEC cards, could you tell me a bit about how their Client Services Team works? Do they provide a good service? I cannot say that I am disappointed at the level of attention given by the Spanish crew, but neither can I say that I am overly satisfied. I usually have to wait for 2 days or so for an email of mine to be responded - that is if I ever receive one!
Amex ICC Customer Service is based out of Brighton in the UK. Calls are answered promptly by polite, knowledgeable staff and my expectations have always been met. I have not had the need to use the purchase protection or any of the add-on insurance products, so I can't comment on that. The only number I have is a UK number. AFAIK, they don't have a toll-free US number - possibly an inconvenience for some, but I am sure they'd accept collect calls. They also don't have a secure messaging system for communication like Amex US. Representatives will followup by email if needs be.

The ICC website is very minimal. You can view PDFs of old statements but that's about it. It is not a patch on the Amex US website. They introduced ACH/Direct Debit from US-based checking accounts last November - long over due!

One more thing, regarding the offers they have got, what are they like? In Spain, I receive offers for general AmEx holders and I have yet to receive anything specifically for Plat members.
There's never any offers on the statements I get. I get a small MR catalogue each year, but that's it.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Amex ICC Customer Service is based out of Brighton in the UK. Calls are answered promptly by polite, knowledgeable staff and my expectations have always been met. I have not had the need to use the purchase protection or any of the add-on insurance products, so I can't comment on that. The only number I have is a UK number. AFAIK, they don't have a toll-free US number - possibly an inconvenience for some, but I am sure they'd accept collect calls. They also don't have a secure messaging system for communication like Amex US. Representatives will followup by email if needs be.

The ICC website is very minimal. You can view PDFs of old statements but that's about it. It is not a patch on the Amex US website. They introduced ACH/Direct Debit from US-based checking accounts last November - long over due!

There's never any offers on the statements I get. I get a small MR catalogue each year, but that's it.
Thank you very much for your help!

As long as they are efficient, that is fine. Their lack of offers, however is a pity.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: AFKL Platinum, VS Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Where is the ACH feature? I have waiting for this for years....
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by 4GSM
Where is the ACH feature? I have waiting for this for years....
There's nothing on the ICC website alright.

I'd be happy to email you the ACH authorization form if you PM me your email address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.