178K MR points --> Cash?

Old Jan 23, 12, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

178K MR points --> Cash?

What's the best way to turn 178K MR points into cash?

MR has a promo 50% off Old Navy gift cards. PlasticJungle is offering around 83% so I'd get a little under $3,000 if I sell 142 $25 Old Navy gift cards.

From a previous post, I think I mentioned I live on the West Coast and I may do some travel to Hawaii but that's it for the foreseeable future.

Assuming I don't mind the legwork of manually inputting 142 gift card codes, is going this route recommended?

Obv theres the 30% British Airway promo so I could turn my points into 230K Avios but I don't have any firm travel plans yet.

Thoughts? Pros/cons?

Any other cooler ways to use 178 MR points?
Old Jan 23, 12, 11:51 pm

Yout method is ok, but the problem is that Plastic Jungle is not reliable at all. I selled 1 Old Navy gift card I received on Christmass, and took very very long to get the money. I dont think they will accept 142 cards . I think they work on demand/offer because their site also sell cards. So they dont have what to do with 142 Old Navy cards on stock.

I am in same situation as you, and I was thinking to link my amex account with amazon, and then buy from amazon Amazon Gift cards. The amazon gift cards are easy to sell them, a lot of people search for them. But I dont know if Amazon will leave me buy amazon cards with points, and also I dont know the rate.
Maybe someone cam help us about this amazon method, if is reliable or not.

Last edited by andrewward; Jan 23, 12 at 11:56 pm
Old Jan 24, 12, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by andrewward View Post
I dont think they will accept 142 cards.
+1

Even if no one else was going this route and killing off orphan miles through Gap GCs to sell to PJ, there is no way they would buy so many Gap GCs. I sold them ~30 AA GCs about a year ago, and aside from it becoming a tremendous headache, within a week they stopped buying them. And that was 30, not 142!

Search this Thread