AMEX Financial Review - Unique Situation

Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

AMEX Financial Review - Unique Situation

Hello,

I just got the dreaded financial review call for an unusually high transaction on the AMEX Gold Biz card I just opened. I also have a Blue Cash and a Plat Delta AMEX card. They placed all cards on hold while they asked for the tax form.

My question is this - can I just cancel the business card during the process? I know they are going to shut me down - I only reported $5,000 in personal income last year but my parents supported me substantially / my current employer reimburses me for lots of expensive plane tickets.

I don't care about loosing the Biz card, but I don't want to loose the Delta Amex card.

Can I cancel the business card now and send them my tax returns with bank statements and a statement about my employer's reimbursement to avoid a bigger hassle of getting ALL cards shut down? They were only asking about my business card.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Why not just send them what they want and tell them the situation? Although $5k in income, but being reimbursed for "lots of expensive plane tickets" sounds so shady you might as well just cancel them all and move on.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:09 pm

Amex does not like to see that your parents are supporting you with only $5000 personal income and "expensive tickets"
Most likely they will cancel all your cards for insufficient income.
Good luck
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:51 pm

Cancelling your cards is a bad idea.

If you ever want to reapply for an Amex the process will be much more painful than a Financial Review.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

I am an Admissions Counselor and am on the road 4 months out of the year, often internationally. My employer reimburses me for over 30k a year in expenses for tickets, hotel rooms and food.

Crossing my fingers the updated financial picture documents will give me a clear FR.

Last edited by fumarelcigar; Feb 5, 2012 at 7:29 pm
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
an unusually high transaction

What did you buy? If you don't mind me asking...just looking for another data point
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Were you honest about your income on the application for all the cards? If not...kiss them goodbye.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

I was 100% honest with them with income because when I spoke to an American Express rep before I applied, they told me to put down total household income, including my parents (whom I lived with at that point).

I bought two espresso machines and a set of knives on Bed Bath and Beyond in a plan to sell them discounted, take the hit but earn my 75,000 MR bonus.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 7:20 pm

Have you paid for this large purchase? If so, I think you can make a strong argument that they don't face a significant risk with you and maybe they only decrease your credit line for a while.

If you haven't paid, I think you might have to admit this review is valid and be amazed (as I am) that they caught this so quickly.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:32 pm

Don't forget if you or they close down your account your MR points evaporate, so move the bonus points before the account closes.

$6400 worth of espresso machines to sell at a loss is not something I would buy expecting to get $750 worth of points for.

What is the black market on espresso machines now days?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jerry crump
Don't forget if you or they close down your account your MR points evaporate, so move the bonus points before the account closes.
You mean the bonus points that you got because of the credit card promotion, right? MR points do not "evaporate" when you simply close a card and move on, correct?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mromero07
You mean the bonus points that you got because of the credit card promotion, right? MR points do not "evaporate" when you simply close a card and move on, correct?
Yes they do. If you don't have an open Amex charge account, you no longer have a Membership Rewards account either. Always clear them out before shutting your account.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
Your situation sounds much better after you gave us some details. Explain it that way to Amex and you'll probably be fine.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:47 am

If you "fail" a FR, AmEx will close all of your cards; closing the one card that triggered it will not help.

If you know that you will fail a FR, you may as well close the cards yourself, that way at least it will not show on your Credit Report as "Closed by institution".

Once AmEx closes your accounts, you have 90 days to use your MR points, and it will only be doable on phone, online you won't be able to access your points. (PM me with email if you want me to send you a scan from AmEx saying as much).

If you just want to buy time on an FR, while you are trying to get the points out, fill out the 4506T form as best you can, but put a different address than your own. It will buy you about two weeks.

As of October 1st Federal Law requires that CC companies do not count "household" income, so even with your explanation, with a $5k income you are almost certain to fail the FR. (See here for report on change.)

Don't ask how I know all of this!

GL with your FR!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your inputs! The large transaction on my business card is still listed as pending, and the FR rep (who was incredibly short and rude, even though I was so polite and understanding, and didn't even object to them shutting down my three cards) told me it would not go through until the FR was over.

I just faxed 26 pages of material to them today. Crossing my fingers!! I have had the same 20k limit on my AMEX Delta card since I was 18, and have never paid late, missed a payment and always pay 100% in full. If they decide to cut my credit, I almost feel like saying, "and you think my 24 year old employed self is less responsible with a 20k credit line than an 18 year old high school student?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.