Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Membership Rewards to United Airlines? [Consolidated]

Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:01 am
Original Poster

I have a lot of AmEx rewards, but am finding the 2 flights I want on United for 40K miles each. Does anyone out there know of a way to get my points transferred into United? TIA!!!!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:12 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Continental Airlines ended their participation in Membership Rewards last September. United has never participated. You can transfer your points to another Star Alliance program and redeem for travel on any Star Alliance airline including UA.

Generally, you should not transfer until you are ready to redeem and should compare the miles and fees for the same trip redeemed through ANA and Aeroplan. ANA's program is distance based, while Aeroplan is a zone system, similar to UA's.

Additional discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ntinental.html
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mia
Generally, you should not transfer until you are ready to redeem and should compare the miles and fees for the same trip redeemed through ANA and Aeroplan. ANA's program is distance based, while Aeroplan is a zone system, similar to UA's.
Aeroplan has essentially instant (the official terms say up to 48 hours) transfers from MR whereas ANA can take a while. I've booked to trips with Aeroplan by calling, getting the itinerary confirmed and locked in, transfering online from MR to Aeroplan, and letting the agent know that the miles are in my account.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:42 pm

Chase credit cards seems to have the monopoly on United transfers, unless you go via a hotel loyalty programme.
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:21 am

MR -> United MileagePlus (through partner)?

I know this has been asked before but I can't find it...

I can transfer MR to AirCanada or ANA, both StarAlliance.

United lets you book reward travel on their "rewards booked" flights but for a hefty mileage amount, e.g. SFO->LHR at 125,000 miles each way in Business.

Is there a way to transfer my MR somewhere and then transfer them to United? I don't think I can do the reward booking that I want from ANA or AirCanada since it's proprietary...

Thanks,

Alex
Old Apr 29, 2012, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by rampguy
I know this has been asked before but I can't find it...

I can transfer MR to AirCanada or ANA, both StarAlliance.

United lets you book reward travel on their "rewards booked" flights but for a hefty mileage amount, e.g. SFO->LHR at 125,000 miles each way in Business.

Is there a way to transfer my MR somewhere and then transfer them to United? I don't think I can do the reward booking that I want from ANA or AirCanada since it's proprietary...

Thanks,

Alex
You can't go directly to UA. You can go to SQ also.

What do you mean by proprietary? What are you trying to book? If you are willing to share that, somebody here might have figured out a way to do something similar.

-David
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
You can't go directly to UA. You can go to SQ also.

What do you mean by proprietary? What are you trying to book? If you are willing to share that, somebody here might have figured out a way to do something similar.

-David
It looks like OP is trying to book the full mileage award (Standard Award) instead of a Saver Award. Standard Awards can only be booked with MileagePlus miles. Only way I can think of would be via Starwood, if Starpoints transfer to UA. However, the ratios are awful on such a transfer.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:14 pm

What is the best way to change AMEX MR to UA miles?

Did do a search but did not find an answer. Here are my two questions to the AMEX experts:

1) In terms of value, is MR:UA=1:1?
2) What is the best way to transfer MR to UA miles or UR Points?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited by AirTravelLover; Jun 12, 2012 at 7:20 pm
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: All of them...
You can't transfer MR points to UA
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Rather than transferring miles to UA, transfer to one of the *A airlines that are MR partners (e.g., AC) and book your UA flight through that airline.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:43 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
1. Chase Ultimate Rewards does not accept transfers from any other program.

2. United Airlines has never participated in Membership Rewards. Continental Airlines left Membership Rewards on 9.30.2011.

3. As ismann mentioned you can transfer to Aeroplan (AC), ANA (NH) or Singapore Airlines (SQ) and redeem for travel on flights operated by any Star Alliance airline, including UA. This does NOT mean that points can be transferred from those airlines to UA, you must redeem a partner award according to the terms of AC, NH or SQ's program. Compare the required miles, fees and seta availability before you transfer.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
One other possibility is to advertise in the FT Coupon Connection. It is always possible that someone is sitting out there thinking "Gees, I have these Chase points, how annoying that I can't deposit them to Delta." And then low and behold, someone pops up wanting to give Amex points and get UR points in return. I made just such a trade earlier this year.

[updated]

Ironically, someone posted exactly the same trade I suggested. Alas, they have MR and want UA, same as what you want to do.

Last edited by mia; Jun 15, 2012 at 11:29 am Reason: Please do not post links to CC in other forums.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
  1. Invent a time machine.
  2. Build said time machine.
  3. Take it back to Sept 29,2011.
  4. Transfer the points to Continental, along with a full points advance.
  5. Return to the current time and smile at your new, higher MP balance

P.S. Don't forget to tell your past self to buy the google IPO and short the facebook IPO!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:07 pm

From AmEx points to United miles?

What`s the best way to get United miles out of AmEx Membership points? If any?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 4:13 pm

The mileage converter isn't giving any good options. What redemption do you have in mund?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.