Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Legacy Blue for Business [USA] (No known valid application links, May 2017)

Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Blue for Business was removed from American Express website when Blue Business Plus was introduced. The offer from March 2017 is still HERE, but the [Apply] button redirects to Blue Business Plus.

A copy of the terms of the March 2017 offer is attached to THIS post.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:07 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold

http://www262.americanexpress.com/bu...dit-card/29791

No annual fee. Earns Membership Rewards Express points, which cannot be transferred to airline or hotel programs, but these are treated as standard Membership Rewards points if linked to a Green, Gold, Platinum or Centurion charge card.

The new feature is a Relationship Bonus: 10% after year one, 20% after year two, 30% after year three and beyond. Chase and Citi have built similar year-end bonuses into some of their cards, but this offer is much larger. I assume it is meant to fend off requests for "retention bonuses", but you aren't likely to be offered much on a no-annual-fee card in any event.

The appealing prospect is that the card can generate 1.3 point per dollar on general spending, and because there is no cost to hold the card one could apply now, let it sit dormant (or nearly) for a couple years, and then use it for spending that isn't targeted by another card. Having the card linked to your account also insures that you will not lose your Membership Rewards point balance if you happen to cancel your charge card to reapply.

Intro bonus is small, 10,000 points after first transaction, but typically better offers follow. I have asked customer service if the Relationship Bonus applies to existing accounts.

Last edited by mia; Jan 11, 2012 at 7:34 pm
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
This is a great deal. I will add this as a high-possibility for my next app-o-rama. Essentially free 10K MR (or more, if a better sign-up offer appears) points added to my MR First balance from my Plat card. Thanks! ^
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
What benefits does this card not carry in terms of return protection, purchase protection etc that the platinum charge does carry? Definitely a very interesting card, and seems very worth getting since it's free...
Old Jan 11, 2012, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, Starwood. Previously AA Gold and United Premier Gold, and OnePass
It seems to have the same purchase protection, rental insurance as plat.

However, even at its max, 1.3 points per purchase is kind of lackluster... I guess for a no-annual fee card it's ok.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:08 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InfoMofo
...lackluster...
You wouldn't want this as your only Membership Rewards card, because it earns Express points, but if you use it as a supplement to a charge card you can increase your annual earnings at no cost.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
The appealing prospect is that the card can generate 1.3 point per dollar on general spending
Explain this. How is it 1.3 points per dollar? Only after the third year with the bonus, right?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:07 pm
mia
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VisaW
... 1.3 points per dollar? Only after the third year ..
Correct. In the first 12 months you would earn 1.1, second year 1.2, and 1.3 thereafter. The factional portion would be paid at the end of each year.

American Express customer service has clarified that existing Blue for Business card accounts do not qualify for this feature, new application required.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:32 pm

Signing up for a business Amex

Hi all,

I want to sign up for the new blue business Amex. I've never signed up for a business card before. Do they require documentation that you have a business? What do you put for the name of your business? I'm assuming your home address can be the same as the businesses.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Jeff
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Based on my personal experience, I can tell you that they will want you to pretend that you have a business. They will ask the name of the business, what business you're in, your annual revenues, what categories you usually spend on, etc. They will ask for your Employer ID number (even businesses without employees have EIN's) but you can say you are a sole proprietorship and file your Schedule C under your social security number. However they are not going to pull a Dun & Bradstreet on you. I would not, however, say "Look, I am just trying to get a credit card, I don't really have a business." Play along with them.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:19 pm

If you are a sole proprietor:
You can use your name as your business name.
Your phone number as the business phone number
Your address as the business address.
Your SSN for tax id.

And yes, you will likely get a call asking for information such as annual revenue, type of expenses, years in business, how much you think you will spend per month, what the nature of your business is. I think this is mostly to build a profile.

The approval is based on your personal credit report and any payment history you have with AMEX. If you have had a personal card in good standing with them and your credit score is over 700, you should be good to go.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:38 am

Solid. Appreciate the help.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:57 am

Programs: WN A-list & CP, Delta GM
It is a very interesting and potentially great offer. After 3 years, 1.3 point per dollar spent is great with linked higher level MR cards (Green, Gold, Platinum, Centurion, Mercedes-Benz..)

Hope that Amex will offer the same for the personal Blue.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: CO, BA, UA, AA, PC, HH, MARRIOT, HYATT, MR, STARWOOD
Originally Posted by redtop43
Based on my personal experience, I can tell you that they will want you to pretend that you have a business. They will ask the name of the business, what business you're in, your annual revenues, what categories you usually spend on, etc. They will ask for your Employer ID number (even businesses without employees have EIN's) but you can say you are a sole proprietorship and file your Schedule C under your social security number. However they are not going to pull a Dun & Bradstreet on you. I would not, however, say "Look, I am just trying to get a credit card, I don't really have a business." Play along with them.
My experience was this-I applied, was approved, and got the Open Business card with 75k for $10k spend. I don't have a business and I am using family members for spend. It is my 4th Amex in the last 7 months.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 10:25 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by finite7777
My experience was this-I applied, was approved, and got the Open Business card with 75k for $10k spend. I don't have a business and I am using family members for spend. It is my 4th Amex in the last 7 months.
My Amex Business Gold is coming up on its annual fee date. I am thinking about downgrading to this New Blue for Business. I am even thinking about doing it early because at this point it is better than the old Amex Biz Gold that I have.

Anyone have success downgrading to this New Blue for Business card?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
AMEX Blue Card (Business)

I do not know anything about the AMEX Blue Business Card but I received an offer in the mail for 10,000 points and $0 annual fee. Is that a good deal? Also, will it be 10,000 membership reward points and not express?

Cheers,
krpjr

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.