Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by Bburke84
I’ll give it some time. But based on other folks and their comments- my GC posted 7/5. It’s now 7/11 and no credit posted.
I bought a gift card on June 5th and it has not reimbursed and I'm sure it will never reimburse. Sorry to say yours likely won't either.
I will have to try again with a sub $100 fare (or remnant after split pay). Annoying thing for me is I actually bought a ticket UNDER $100 each way but used a gift card since I thought it would be a safer reimbursement ploy. Doh!
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by pitflyer
I bought a gift card on June 5th and it has not reimbursed and I'm sure it will never reimburse. Sorry to say yours likely won't either.
I will have to try again with a sub $100 fare (or remnant after split pay). Annoying thing for me is I actually bought a ticket UNDER $100 each way but used a gift card since I thought it would be a safer reimbursement ploy. Doh!
I had AA for my credit and switched to Southwest when the GC credits stopped for AA. Luckily I got my $200 credits before that stopped for Southwest. Next April if there is not a way for me to use the credits I might as well not renew the Platinum Card. I can't justify the annual fee on the Platnium Card. I have Priority Pass on the Chase Reserve Card, most airports I use don't have a Centurian Lounge.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wolverinechris
Does anyone know if this will work for upgrades from C+ to First? Officially no, but I'm curious about the reality
I'm going to go ahead and say not only officially no, but definitely no. First class on WN doesn't exist.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Charles4515
I had AA for my credit and switched to Southwest when the GC credits stopped for AA. Luckily I got my $200 credits before that stopped for Southwest. Next April if there is not a way for me to use the credits I might as well not renew the Platinum Card. I can't justify the annual fee on the Platnium Card. I have Priority Pass on the Chase Reserve Card, most airports I use don't have a Centurian Lounge.
in same boat...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Bought two $109 tickets with $10 gift card each -- $99 charged to BizPlat in two separate transactions. Will see if it works. If not, I will likely give up and drink myself silly on a future Southwest flight.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:05 am

Airfare less than $100

What if the price of the ticket is already less than $100 (ex. JAX-FLL for $64) Do I still need to apply a gift card or will the low cost airfare trigger the credit? Thanks!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
On July 9 I purchased a one-way airfare on Aspire Amex for a total of $94.98 (STL to Des Moines) as a single charge. Today, July 12 I see my Airline credit meter reflects $155, but my Amex transaction doesn't show the fee reimbursement yet....
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by doss1
On July 9 I purchased a one-way airfare on Aspire Amex for a total of $94.98 (STL to Des Moines) as a single charge. Today, July 12 I see my Airline credit meter reflects $155, but my Amex transaction doesn't show the fee reimbursement yet....
mine was the same; give it little more time, the cr should post shortly
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by mmoncrieff
What if the price of the ticket is already less than $100 (ex. JAX-FLL for $64) Do I still need to apply a gift card or will the low cost airfare trigger the credit? Thanks!
it seems to be a mixed bag on dp, it seems like it may be best to buy a $5 gc and then buy the plane ticket but this whole loophole is very ymmv.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:53 pm

if GC+ partial ticket payment work
Can I buy refundable ticket, wait until AMEX post partial payment part credit, then cancel the ticket.
By doing so, WN will refund entire Ticket total to travel credit for future use within 12 month.
As long as I can book for WN travel within 1 year, it can be solved.

per reading previous post, better to make Partial ticket payment part < $100

Am I right for all above?

thx
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by aopluu
Can I buy refundable ticket, wait until AMEX post partial payment part credit, then cancel the ticket.
By doing so, WN will refund entire Ticket total to travel credit for future use within 12 month.
Are you trying to shift your expense forward by a few months, or build up your WN credit above the $100 threshold?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:36 pm

In the past I've booked a ticket and afterwards been offered to upgrade to Business Select for around $150. Would this upgrade count as incidental for reimbursement?
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Travel Fan
In the past I've booked a ticket and afterwards been offered to upgrade to Business Select for around $150. Would this upgrade count as incidental for reimbursement?
iirc upgrades are excluded, also if you bought the upgraded boarding for both ways and a $7 drink would cost $67 to $107 depending on distance of the flight
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopluu

---> Are you trying to shift your expense forward by a few months, or build up your WN credit above the $100 threshold?

just think if this way works, better than nothing or wasting that $100 credit
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
iirc upgrades are excluded, also if you bought the upgraded boarding for both ways and a $7 drink would cost $67 to $107 depending on distance of the flight

So, upgraded boarding and drinks would be reimbursed. If I do this for myself and significant other, then it could be possible to use up the credit on a round trip ticket depending on distance and cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.