Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:28 pm

12/23 Bought 2 $100 GCs
12/23 Posted
12/25 Credited

Thanks for all the helpful posts.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by pointsgaloreandmore
12/18... Received card
12/18... Selected SW as carrier
~30 min later... Purchased a $100 and $150 e-gift certificate (Was not logged into Rapid Rewards; Chrome Browser; Windows OS)
Charge shows SPD/AIR FREIGHT as document type with SW address and says will post as "Southwest Airlines - Dallas, TX"
12/20... Charges posted
12/21... Travel meter shows all travel credit used for 2018
12/22... Credit recieved
Identical data point here - browser and all (but that shouldn't matter - I am however located in Australia went through on an Australian ISP):

12/23 - purchased $100
12/25 - $100 credit posted

Just purchased $150 right now.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by mia
We have some reports that the "unable to process your request" error can be corrected by changing to a different browser. Also try Incognito or Private browser window in case the failure is related to cookies (browser cookies, not Christmas cookies.) But first, check your American Express account to see if there is a Pending transaction from Southwest Airlines in the full amount of the purchase. If there is, the transaction may be processing, despite the error message.
If it shows the pending transaction, how long should it take to clear? I had this problem before but don't remember the outcome as it was last December. Just got a new Ameriprise and trying to triple dip.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by thehimalayas
Could it be that I am SOL on this one? The airline selection was at around 11:30 PM EST, and the charge was around 11:40PM EST on the same day.
I am on the same boat. I made the purchase 5 minutes after making the selection.

I think we are SOL. It has been 11 days now and credit shows unused.

I reached out to AMEX and I was told

"The charge date and airline selection dates are same. You can contact us to see if we can process a manual credit for you after 2 weeks"

Last edited by coltonatx; Dec 27, 2018 at 11:22 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by mia
We have some reports that the "unable to process your request" error can be corrected by changing to a different browser. Also try Incognito or Private browser window in case the failure is related to cookies (browser cookies, not Christmas cookies.) But first, check your American Express account to see if there is a Pending transaction from Southwest Airlines in the full amount of the purchase. If there is, the transaction may be processing, despite the error message.
I tried again in the morning, on Monday 12/24/2018, and the three separate $200 transactions went through posted on the three different AMEX Plat flavors (1 Mercedes, and 2 Ameriprise). So therefore

12/24/2018 - $200 egift card (x3)
12/26/2018 - $200 credit posted

NOTE: On the card that i kept on trying on 12/23 and getting errors, apparently i tried 6x on different browsers as well, as NOW I am showing 6 separate $200 SouthWest charges as PENDING. I hope they just stay as pending and drop off.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:00 am

WN e-Gift card

Purchased two $100 e-gc’s tonight on my platinum, i was using chrome and i was logged into my rewards account, but I was reading through and people mentioned they weren’t logged in. Will this have an effect on how the code of the charge appears or? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
i was just approved but amex wont let me create a new login with credit card info they gave me. How do i go about picking an airline id like to buy my gift cards today. I have an amex everyday card should i try chatting through that?
P.S. cell phone is broken so i cant call for a few hours.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K
You should check your approval email. There should be a link that says "click here to create an online account" or something like that. That will do it.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by givingitatry
If it shows the pending transaction, how long should it take to clear? I had this problem before but don't remember the outcome as it was last December. Just got a new Ameriprise and trying to triple dip.
My pending transactions that didn't go through cleared in 3 or 4 days.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by EcomGuy7
Purchased two $100 e-gc’s tonight on my platinum, i was using chrome and i was logged into my rewards account, but I was reading through and people mentioned they weren’t logged in. Will this have an effect on how the code of the charge appears or? Thanks in advance for any help.
@EcomGuy7 Not sure if it makes a difference or not. I haven't seen enough datapoints to definitively say one way or the either. Would love to hear if yours goes through.

Last edited by pointsgaloreandmore; Dec 29, 2018 at 9:07 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by pointsgaloreandmore
@ecomGuy Not sure if it makes a difference or not. I haven't seen enough datapoints to definitively say one way or the either. Would love to hear if yours goes through.
Ill keep you guys posted. It was two WN e-gift cards to clarify. Fingers crossed!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by thoughtsfromacube
My pending transactions that didn't go through cleared in 3 or 4 days.

Thanks for the response. I used private window and did a $195 card and it sent an email from Southwest within 5 mins for the ecard. The original attempt hasn't prompted an email from SOuthwest so I am assuming it will drop off. Should see the second attempt charge post tomorrow and hopefully the credit.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:24 pm

This is what it looks like...
Old Dec 29, 2018, 2:37 pm

@sorrywereclosed

Thats what my AmEx dashboard looks like. Still waiting for it to credit and show that i’ve utilized my $200 in credits but it’s looking good, thanks for the insight.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Forgot completely about this. The early bird gets the worm but I'm hoping the late bird gets $200 credit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.