Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Gold: $100 GC posted on Dec 14. No credit yet. Approaching the 4wk barrier where you're supposed to contact them, according to the boilerplate text online...

Platinum: 2x $100 GC posted on Dec 30. Credit x2 posted on Jan 2.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:24 pm

I just got a courtesy email reminder that my Platinum card benefits include up to $200 statement credits for airline charges. I detailed out how to select an airline, that it can only be changed once per calendar year, etc..

Is this a normal practice for AMEX to do? Or is this their way of slipping in additional clauses and saying politely, "We're clamping down on abuse of this benefit when purchasing gift cards."?

At the bottom of the email it includes T's & C's:

Originally Posted by T's & C's
Terms and Conditions

1. Benefit is available to Consumer and Business Platinum Card and Centurion Members only. To receive statement credits of up to $200 per calendar year toward incidental air travel fees, Card Member must select a qualifying airline at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice. Only the Basic Card Member or Authorized Account Manager(s) on the Card Account can select the qualifying airline. Card Members who have not chosen a qualifying airline will be able to do so at any time. Card Members who have already selected a qualifying airline will be able to change their choice one time each year in January at www.americanexpress.com/airlinechoice or by calling the number on the back of the Card. Card Members who do not change their airline selection will remain with their current airline. Statement Credits: Incidental air travel fees must be charged to the Card Member on the eligible Card Account for the benefit to apply. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $200 per calendar year in statement credits across all Cards on the Account. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card Member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Incidental air travel fees charged prior to selection of a qualifying airline are not eligible for statement credits. Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the charge under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be recognized as an incidental air travel fee. Please allow 24 weeks after the qualifying incidental air travel fee is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. We rely on airlines to submit the correct information on airline transactions, so please call the number on the back of the Card if statement credits have not posted after 4 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges. To be eligible for this benefit, Card Account(s) must be active and not in default at the time of statement credit fulfillment. If a charge for any incidental air travel fee is included in a Pay Over Time feature balance on your Card Account (for example, Sign & Travel), the statement credit associated with that charge may not be applied to that Pay Over Time feature balance. Instead, the statement credit may be applied to your Pay In Full balance. For additional information about this benefit, call the number on the back of your Card.
Has the bolded always been included in their TCs?
Old Jan 12, 2016, 1:34 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tree100
Has the bolded always been included in their TCs?
Yes.

See, for example, the terms pasted into the Wikipost of this thread in 2014:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html
Old Jan 12, 2016, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes.

See, for example, the terms pasted into the Wikipost of this thread in 2014:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html
Thanks! I just made a purchase. I'll follow up when the credit posts.

Edit: Credit posted on 1/15.

Last edited by tree100; Jan 18, 2016 at 10:04 am
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
Purchased $100 Southwest gift card on our two AMEX PRG cards on January 5th, by January 7th, received the $100 credit on both cards.
Are these separate accounts or one account with a second card for an authorized user?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:52 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by fcantone
Are these separate accounts or one account with a second card for an authorized user?
The Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit is $100 per Premier Rewards Gold account, not per card. If you add a supplementary PRG cardholder that card can be used to claim the credit, but it will not increase the maximum amount.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The Airline Fee Reimbursement benefit is $100 per Premier Rewards Gold account, not per card. If you add a supplementary PRG cardholder that card can be used to claim the credit, but it will not increase the maximum amount.
Yes, this is what I've read online as well. Since the post didn't specify, I thought I would ask for validation. There's a hefty enough annual fee on the PRG that I wouldn't think one household would get two cards, unless there were really big sign-up bonuses.

My question still applies, thanks.

Originally Posted by yOyOYoo
Purchased $100 Southwest gift card on our two AMEX PRG cards on January 5th, by January 7th, received the $100 credit on both cards.
Old Jan 15, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Credits are taking longer than they were last week. Previous charge was 1/4 with a credit on 1/6.

This week it is a charge on 1/11 and no credit yet, all $100 charges, on plat and PRG.

Anyone charge something this week and receive credits yet?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:03 pm

Just adding a data point:

* 1/12 - Purchased 2 x $100 Southwest Gift Cards on 1/12, AMEX shows transaction as pending
* 1/14 - Purchase posted
* 1/15 - still waiting for credit - hopefully, I'll get this soon.
* 1/16 - Posted 1/16 but transaction date is 1/15.

Last edited by travellingpinoy; Jan 16, 2016 at 9:21 pm
Old Jan 15, 2016, 2:17 pm

2 unique AMEX PRG cards - $100 airline credit reimbursement on each card.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 6:26 am

Can the primary and an authorized user choose different airlines for the $100 incidental fee reimbursement? There still would be a $100 cap total for both but would have the flexibility of two different airlines. I have chosen WN and had success with all reimbursements. My wife has a different AMEX card # as AU on my account. Would she be able to choose UA without affecting my choice of WN? Anyone have success with selecting different airlines for each card?
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:40 am
mia

Originally Posted by DCAGUY
Can the primary and an authorized user choose different airlines for the $100 incidental fee reimbursement?
No. The benefit is offered at the account level. Once a choice is registered for an account the system won't display the selection screen again until next January.

Last edited by mia; Jan 16, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Old Jan 16, 2016, 8:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by tyvoodoo
Credits are taking longer than they were last week. Previous charge was 1/4 with a credit on 1/6.

This week it is a charge on 1/11 and no credit yet, all $100 charges, on plat and PRG.

Following up on his credits posted 1/15
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:07 am

Wife and I each have our own Gold and Platinum card/account. Did 6x100$ gift cards and all reimbursements posted within 5 days, latest this morning. Did same thing in November, same result. Also if interested, SW miles for new cards taken in Nov posted Jan 8th , got companion pass email on about 12th.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by tyvoodoo

My $100 charge from the 12th posted on 12th. Credit posted on 15th.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.