Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by kur4ki
what did you say?
How about "How long does it take?"
Old Sep 24, 2015, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by kur4ki
what did you say?
I actually used online chat. Just told them I had some airline fees that had yet to be reimbursed. They looked up my account and asked if it was the two southwest $100 freight charges. I said yes. After a few min they said they would issue the credit.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:50 pm

I was able to get them to issue a $100 credit to me for a gift card purchased on 8/26.

They claim that the charge was from AIR DALLAS (clearly shows up as Southwest Airlines on my statement) which is not a direct charge from a partner airline.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by David_
I was able to get them to issue a $100 credit to me for a gift card purchased on 8/26.

They claim that the charge was from AIR DALLAS (clearly shows up as Southwest Airlines on my statement) which is not a direct charge from a partner airline.
Did they ask you what that was for?
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by groundhog
Did they ask you what that was for?
Yes. I said oversize baggage.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:39 am

Wow! Chatting took me about a minute and the only question the rep asked was when the charge was posted. He said it will take 5 business days to credit. Very easy!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:27 am

I wonder if due to the influx of people they just changed the credit to manual to counteract people taking advantage of the loop holes. It won't stop everyone, but it may scare off the timid.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by HolyTiger
I wonder if due to the influx of people they just changed the credit to manual to counteract people taking advantage of the loop holes. It won't stop everyone, but it may scare off the timid.
This is exactly what I have been suspecting all along. My reimbursements were all made before the sudden issues arose, so I can not test out the theory until January. However, I believe they simply stopped automatic reimbursement to allow for manual review of each charge, so they can try to weed out the gift cards from the reimbursable incidental charges the T&C permit.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 1:45 pm

Yeah but they don't even question the charges when I asked for them to manually be posted. He saw it was past 4 weeks and processed the manual credit, stating their system was having glitches.

I personally think it's a tactic to scare the new sign ups.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by HolyTiger
Yeah but they don't even question the charges when I asked for them to manually be posted. He saw it was past 4 weeks and processed the manual credit, stating their system was having glitches.

I personally think it's a tactic to scare the new sign ups.
Same experience with me. I did online chat about the missing airline credit and csr just asked me the date I made the purchase. She then told me credit will be issued within 48 hours, which it did. This was Saturday last week.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:17 am

I also used chat to request reimbursement for "fees" in the amount of $50 and $100 incurred in late August. The rep didn't ask what the fees were for, and I got my reimbursement.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 1:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, DL, BA, HA, WN, SPG-PL, Hyatt-Dia, HH-Dia, Marr-Pl, US Mint/VR(retired)
Southwest charges $75 for an oversized baggage item and $95 for a pet. From now on, I'm going to make my Southwest gift card purchases for $75 or $95.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by PatMike
Southwest charges $75 for an oversized baggage item and $95 for a pet. From now on, I'm going to make my Southwest gift card purchases for $75 or $95.
Only because at first the rep told me that the pet charge wasn't explicitly listed on their T&C and the charge may not be reimbursable, I would be inclined to stick with the $75 charge. Although, he was wrong about that. Imo pet charges qualify as they would qualify as incidental.

Btw, I got my fee manually reimbursed as well. 2 $100 GC charged on 8/23. Contacted after 4 weeks.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:39 pm

new to this game. I want to register in SW first.

Should I purchase 2 100 GC separately? like 1- 100 GC today then another 100 GC two days later. if I purchase 2 100 GCs in one transaction, it will show 200 statement, right?

please advice. THank you!
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:59 pm

Just got a $100 GC on my wife's PRG from August 30th reimbursed via live chat. Didn't get asked what it was, the rep just said since it had been 4 weeks he would reimburse it manually.

I just made a couple $11.20 charges and a $1.20 charge (all award ticket fees, had some leftover gift cards to spend on the last one) on my PRG so we'll see if those get reimbursed automatically or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.