Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 11, 19, 10:56 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tanic
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 30, 19, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by panerd View Post
This is more of a Southwest question and less about the plat (though I am using the plat to get all the credits). If I accrue a bunch of $90ish credits it appears I can only apply 4 at a time for a flight. Can I rebook a more expensive flight combining 4 of those credits and then cancel that to have a more reasonable $300-400 credit? Again I apologize if this is airfare 101 here but I used to just get giftcards for the plat credit and flip for cash. This is the first time I will actually be putting some real airfare use together with them.
Can I rebook a more expensive flight combining 4 of those credits and then cancel that to have a more reasonable $300-400 credit?

Yes, I did this myself August of this year. Just know that you'll have 1 year to use the credits from the original date of purchase of the first tickets you bought. Even if you decide to cancel your combined $300-$400 ticket.
Old Nov 30, 19, 8:42 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by panerd View Post
This is more of a Southwest question and less about the plat (though I am using the plat to get all the credits). If I accrue a bunch of $90ish credits it appears I can only apply 4 at a time for a flight. Can I rebook a more expensive flight combining 4 of those credits and then cancel that to have a more reasonable $300-400 credit? Again I apologize if this is airfare 101 here but I used to just get giftcards for the plat credit and flip for cash. This is the first time I will actually be putting some real airfare use together with them.
The most you can combine for one flight is 3 credits. I found that out when I had 4 $100 Southwest gift cards and I wanted to book a $320 flight. You could only use two of the gift cards as you can only have three forms of payment. So I booked a $279 flight with 3 gift cards. Cancelled the flight and used the rest of the gift cards plus the travel funds to purchase the ticket.

The thing about travel funds is that they can only be used for the person who was originally on the tickets and have to be used in one year.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Nov 30, 19, 9:13 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by atomicfront View Post
The thing about travel funds is that they can only be used for the person who was originally on the tickets and have to be used in one year.
And when you mix them into a new PNR, the newest TFs inherit the oldest TFs date.
Old Dec 2, 19, 8:37 am
ps9

11/27 3x one way tickets OAK to LBG, bought together, but charges were for each individual ticket ($82.98) when the transactions showed in AMEX

12/1 AMEX Reimbursement Fee posted $82.98, $82.98, $34.04

We are actually going to use these flights, so it worked out without having to cancel and use Travelbank. Thanks guys for this, would've let my $200 go to waste otherwise.
Old Dec 3, 19, 8:53 am

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Tanic View Post
And when you mix them into a new PNR, the newest TFs inherit the oldest TFs date.
Not sure if this trick still works, but something to keep in mind:

https://saverocity.com/pointsadventu...mix-new-funds/
Old Dec 3, 19, 9:23 am

AMEX Business Platinum card

Nov 26 Select Southwest as the airline
Nov 27 bought 2 one way tickets (2 passengers in single reservation) for $93.98 each. Initially the charge showed up as $187.96 pending.
Nov 29 the charges posted as:

Nov 27 SOUTHWEST AIRLINES DALLAS TX $93.98
Nov 27 SOUTHWEST AIRLINES DALLAS TX $93.98

Dec 2 meter moved
Dec 3 credits received below:

Dec 2 Credit AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT -$93.98
Dec 2 Credit AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBURSEMENT -$93.98
wed100105 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 19, 7:23 pm

Thanks for posting this! I booked two tickets for $44 each (same reservation) on Frontier Friday and am worried, waiting, and watching. I need to book return flights, but I've been waiting to see if they credit. The return flights are $86 each, and I have to book them together because my daughter is flying with me and she's only 11.

Congrats on the credits.
Old Dec 5, 19, 8:48 am

Amex Aspire --- I have two cards (DH and myself) and we haven't used any credits yet. We have 3 kids and no time right now to fly in the next 6 months so I need to bank these credits somehow for next summer/winter if at all possible.

Please let me know if I have this correct.

DH's card: Book 3 one way fares less than $99 each. (Do I need to book these all separately or is one transaction okay?)
My card: Same.

Even if I have to book 2 kids with me and 1 with DH next year, I could use those credits to book one trip, correct?

Next January I should do the same on both cards = ~ $1000 in credits for Southwest. When would the credits need to be used?

TIA for your help!
Old Dec 5, 19, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by wed100105 View Post
Even if I have to book 2 kids with me and 1 with DH next year, I could use those credits to book one trip, correct?

Next January I should do the same on both cards = ~ $1000 in credits for Southwest. When would the credits need to be used?

1. Just be aware that Residual Travel Funds are locked to the pax name of the original ticket... you can't combine different names for a new ticket.

2. RTFs need to have flight completed one year from date of original purchase. Be careful mixing RTFs with different purchase dates, they will expire at the earliest date as will dollars added to an RTF.
wed100105 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 9:38 am

1. Just be aware that Residual Travel Funds are locked to the pax name of the original ticket... you can't combine different names for a new ticket.

2. RTFs need to have flight completed one year from date of original purchase. Be careful mixing RTFs with different purchase dates, they will expire at the earliest date as will dollars added to an RTF.

I'm glad you replied. Thank you!

Gah! This is way to much hassle for the credit!
Old Dec 5, 19, 11:39 am

I'm glad you replied. Thank you! Gah! This is way to much hassle for the credit!
Nothing to lose by scooping up those 2019 AmEx credits now. Just keep track of PNRs when you cancel since WN doesn't track them for you. i.e.exact pax name, dollar amount of each PNR, and expiration date. Simple spreadsheet.
wed100105 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 19, 12:39 pm

Nothing to lose by scooping up those 2019 AmEx credits now. Just keep track of PNRs when you cancel since WN doesn't track them for you. i.e.exact pax name, dollar amount of each PNR, and expiration date. Simple spreadsheet.
I'm so sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm finding conflicting info out on the web.

1) How long do I wait to call Southwest and cancel? Is there something specific I should say or is cancelling an option online?

2) Do I need to break up my purchases into 3 separate transactions? Must the fares be under $100? (I can't find anything that low for airports around me. Do you just book flights you know you won't take?)

3) How long do I have to use my credits? (For example, if I booked the tickets today and cancelled next week when would the credits expire?)

Thank you so much!
Old Dec 5, 19, 2:18 pm

Programs: Air: UA *S, WN CP | Hotels - Gold: Choice, CC, & HH; Hotels - Amb: Marriott
I'm so sorry to ask so many questions, but I'm finding conflicting info out on the web.

1) How long do I wait to call Southwest and cancel? Is there something specific I should say or is cancelling an option online?

2) Do I need to break up my purchases into 3 separate transactions? Must the fares be under $100? (I can't find anything that low for airports around me. Do you just book flights you know you won't take?)

3) How long do I have to use my credits? (For example, if I booked the tickets today and cancelled next week when would the credits expire?)

Thank you so much!
1. Cancel online.

2. Up to you...charges on Amex card must be sub-$100.

3. TTFs are good for the passenger originally ticketed to use for travel within 1-year of the original purchase date of the original ticket. TTFs do have restrictions/limitations that you should research and understand.
Old Dec 6, 19, 5:29 am

Hmmmm

Hmmm, charges posted on the 30th on my schwab plat and no travel reimbursement yet...
Old Dec 6, 19, 6:12 am

Waiting on reimbursement from 11:29

Originally Posted by Ramscct5 View Post
Hmmm, charges posted on the 30th on my schwab plat and no travel reimbursement yet...
Waiting on charges from 11/29 to post as well.

Search this Thread