Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: whatever it takes
Originally Posted by scubadu
I don't think I said you have to go back to "early 2019" This thread has updates literally daily (sometimes hourly) Did you try reading back even a few pages of the thread? That would literally contain data points that are at best perhaps 3 days old. I'd say that would still be pretty relevant, no?

It's not my intent to be "snarky" (whatever that actually means). It is my intent to say that the airline credit threads in this forum would not be able to scale if we constantly have to stop and repeat everything every time someone decides its all new to them and they just want to be handed the answer, without taking 15 minutes to read a few pages back and educate themselves. If that point of view is "snarky" than guilty as charged.

Regards
There needs to be a shorthand like - RTFM. Maybe RTLP (Read the last posts), RTTF - Read the thread Fool...or something like that.

Is that Read the FULL Manual? Or read the FU**ing Manual?

Not everyone likes to read manuals - if you're keen enough to be in this forum then one can read a little.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by HIFlya
I am guessing I am going to have to make reactivate/set-up a Rapid Rewards account when making my purchase so that the travel credit has an account to be eventually deposited into?

It does not work like that. Whether you have an RR account or not is irrelevant. WN tracks Residual Travel Funds by the PNR code, not by RR number. The customer must keep that information since it is not deposited or displayed on your account. I use an Excel spreadsheet to track PNRs, dollar amounts, and expiration dates of funds. Some people just put cancellation emails into a separate folder and track the funds that way.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 8:27 am

I knew my procrastination early in the year with this would come back to haunt me so now I'm here with a couple of questions.

1. From what I can tell pretty much everyone has had success getting ticket purchases reimbursed as long as it's under $100 correct?

2. I tried changing my airline online but it wouldn't let me. Do I have to call for this?

3. Does anyone know if it covers buying early bird check in?

Thank you.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by sjplabm
11/18 - Still no credit for the $112. Will update on the $11.
So no credit for the the $112 nor the $11.

However, I am now running into a new issue. I purchased a different flight for $97 on 11/18. It was at the same time as my $123 flight, but at a different airport. I forgot to cancel the $123 and I woke up to an email this morning saying they cancelled my $97 flight and were returning it to the card. So I went and cancelled the $123, got future funds, and repurchased the $97 flight on my card.

Will Amex see the return and clawback the original $97 once the return posts? My worry is since I have less that $194 left that they'll use $97 of my credit for the first flight, and only post the remaining credit for the new $97 flight, and then clawback the original $97 credit.

Last edited by sjplabm; Nov 20, 2019 at 9:18 am
Old Nov 20, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: Chase UR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, SWA, AA
It's been a day since I purchased two tickets under one reservation, but on my account I see that the payment is posting as a single payment of $197 rather than two payments of $98.50. Is this a problem?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by ohosain
It's been a day since I purchased two tickets under one reservation, but on my account I see that the payment is posting as a single payment of $197 rather than two payments of $98.50. Is this a problem?
If under the same reservation, then yeah this will be one charge and probably be exempt from the reimbursement.

You'll need to cancel and purchase this itinerary again as two separate reservations if you want them to post correctly.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:01 pm

**UPDATE 11/20 8PM EST: I just checked and the meter has gone down and says I have used all my credit for the year. No reimbursement yet on statement, but looks very promising!**

DP for Hilton Aspire

Selected WN as airline on desktop 11/14.

NOV15 Southwest Airlines - DALLAS, TX $25

NOV15 Southwest Airlines - DALLAS, TX $93

NOV15 Southwest Airlines - DALLAS, TX $97

Meter hasn't moved and no credit yet as of 11/20 :c

Last edited by Obelize; Nov 20, 2019 at 8:26 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old Nov 20, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Obelize
DP for Hilton Aspire

Same DP. Purchase was $102.00
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
FWIW, after more than a week, a $98 ticket purchase on Southwest was NOT credited
Originally Posted by ThatAdamGuy
November 3, so 13 days ago :\
Originally Posted by bwin29
still nothing? Did you see GundamWing01's question to you on Nov 17?
yea, need more info on failed credits.

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
I was looking for credit amount to reflect on transaction history (which still hasn't posted). But sure enough... meter moved to reflect the purchase.
great to hear it worked (as expected based on your DP). appreciate the confirmation.

im more curious about missing credits. we need more DPs for that. too many n00bs are impatient and just joined the club. while thats OK, its a headache to constantly filter through:

1) selected airline today
2) bought airfare today
3) still no credit today. whats going on? help? (*didnt even bother reading literally 2 posts above*)

SMH. cmon guys...

Originally Posted by sjplabm
So no credit for the the $112 nor the $11.

However, I am now running into a new issue. I purchased a different flight for $97 on 11/18. It was at the same time as my $123 flight, but at a different airport. I forgot to cancel the $123 and I woke up to an email this morning saying they cancelled my $97 flight and were returning it to the card. So I went and cancelled the $123, got future funds, and repurchased the $97 flight on my card.

Will Amex see the return and clawback the original $97 once the return posts? My worry is since I have less that $194 left that they'll use $97 of my credit for the first flight, and only post the remaining credit for the new $97 flight, and then clawback the original $97 credit.
i cant follow your story. break down the timeline play by play. based on previous DP, there will be no clawback even if you cancel under 24hrs but still get the credit and fares refunded or not post at all. YMMV.

not too surprising $112 didnt work, but very useful DP. $11 seems too low as well.

Originally Posted by eatmangos
If under the same reservation, then yeah this will be one charge and probably be exempt from the reimbursement.

You'll need to cancel and purchase this itinerary again as two separate reservations if you want them to post correctly.
thats not how it works. please read earlier posts.

DP for Hilton Aspire

wait longer and get back to us. that $25 fare is questionable though. what was it? airfare? everything else should credit fine.
EZjace likes this.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Nov 20, 2019 at 4:28 pm
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by GundamWing01
i cant follow your story. break down the timeline play by play. based on previous DP, there will be no clawback even if you cancel under 24hrs but still get the credit and fares refunded or not post at all. YMMV.
I figured it would be hard. Let me try again.

11/18 - Bought $97 one way.
11/20 - Reservation was cancelled by WN due to an existing reservation at the same time. $97 will be refunded to Amex.
11/20 - Cancelled reservation that was at the same time, the $123 one. Refunded for future travel.
11/20 - Bought $97 one way.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by eatmangos

Really? I thought that the purchase would still show multiple purchases and if the individual purchases were below a threshold it would still trigger? Damn, if what you are saying is correct, I am totally screwed since I just put 4 tickets on one reservation. I was looking at the DPs and kind of assumed that the multiple purchases on the same day was just via one reservation but for multiple people.

Last edited by HIFlya; Nov 20, 2019 at 4:46 pm
Old Nov 20, 2019, 3:24 pm

DP for Hilton Aspire

Did you book all three items under one reservation/purchase?
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:24 pm

Bought two tickets in one itinerary ($74.98 each) on 11/16. No reimbursement yet and meter hasn't moved either.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 4:58 pm

Hoping these recent DP's are not indicative of this no longer being an available avenue.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by keyjey
Bought two tickets in one itinerary ($74.98 each) on 11/16. No reimbursement yet and meter hasn't moved either.
One Itinerary? Meaning you actually paid $149.96 at the time of purchase for both flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.