Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:37 am

Can a southwest credit in my name can be used to purchase ticket for someone else(wife and kids)?
Thanks.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:59 am

DP: AmEx Platinum (authorized user card)

10/27/2019 (Sunday)
Booked two one-way tickets on same reservation, $68.99 each.
Pending charge was a single $137.98, but posted a day or two later as individual $68.99 charges (but dated 10/27).

10/31/2019
Two AmEx airline fee reimbursements for $68.99.

Worth noting that I did not see the reimbursements when I checked on 10/31, but certainly happy to see them this morning on 11/1. Also, $200 meter shows $62.02 remaining.

Last edited by thedlr; Nov 1, 2019 at 10:11 am
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by coolmuke
Can a southwest credit in my name can be used to purchase ticket for someone else(wife and kids)?
Thanks.
Residual Travel Funds: No
LUV Voucher: Yes
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:26 am

Question.

I’ve been reading the thread and just wanted to see if anyone has purchased a one way ticket for more than $100-$150 and still get reimbursed? Or would it just be safer to buy multiple one ways less than $100 and just cancel and switch them to apply to the flight that I actually need. First time using the credit thanks for any help.

Update:

just went ahead and purchased 1 way ticket (wanna get away) for $97 11/2/19

Last edited by Carlmaq; Nov 2, 2019 at 4:13 pm
Old Nov 2, 2019, 9:09 am

Purchase tix 98.98 on 10/25. Received credit today 11/2
Old Nov 2, 2019, 10:13 am

Redeemed Southwest miles on 10/29 for a one-way ticket from SJD to BNA. Taxes payable on the ticket were $55.43, early-bird an additional $25.00. Total payable was $80.43. Paid with AmEx Gold. AmEx Airline Fee Reimbursements of $55.43 and $25.00 posted on 11/01, have $19.57 remaining to use before the end of the year.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:19 am

Booked a ticket right after making the airline choice. No movement yet
Old Nov 4, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: Chase, Amex, SWA, UAL, DAL
Purchased two one-ways from OAK to SEA on 10/31. Tickets cost $81.98 each; I also opted to add early bird checkin at $15 each, for $193.96 total.

Today, the airline fee credit tracker says $6.04 left. No reimbursement yet but it looks like it worked.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:20 pm

You guys who are purchasing tickets for under $100, are you then canceling the tickets and getting a refund to your Amex card or getting a refund in Southwest credits?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:33 am

Programs: reddit churning
Originally Posted by orange joe
You guys who are purchasing tickets for under $100, are you then canceling the tickets and getting a refund to your Amex card or getting a refund in Southwest credits?
You are only able to get cash back to your card if you can find a fully refundable fare for under 100, which is hard to do, but not impossible. I don't see many DP of that.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by culdeus
You are only able to get cash back to your card if you can find a fully refundable fare for under 100, which is hard to do, but not impossible. I don't see many DP of that.
You can get refund back to your card on your "wanna get away ticket" as well, but only if you cancel within 24hrs of purchase. But if you do, you won't get reimbursement credit for it. Source: my own experience.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:24 pm

So I have read this thread thoroughly and hope this is a legit question that couldn't have been answered with deeper reading. I admit to being a credit card churner who doesn't fly often (when the giftcard loophole worked I used to sell for cash) but actually was going to do a family vacation next summer.

How many southwest credits can I combine per purchase? i.e. To keep the math simple how many $100 refund credits can I use in one purchase?

Also it looks as though I can't buy tickets for my kids without a ticket for myself. The only DP I saw never explained how they did that. For now I only have an Aspire and 2 Plat's so probably enough for just my wife and I can at some point might want to add the kids if somebody could expand on how to do that.

Any help appreciated, this site is always helpful!

Making my first purchase attempt tonight so will post a relevant DP in a few days.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by panerd
So I have read this thread thoroughly and hope this is a legit question that couldn't have been answered with deeper reading. I admit to being a credit card churner who doesn't fly often (when the giftcard loophole worked I used to sell for cash) but actually was going to do a family vacation next summer.

How many southwest credits can I combine per purchase? i.e. To keep the math simple how many $100 refund credits can I use in one purchase?

Also it looks as though I can't buy tickets for my kids without a ticket for myself. The only DP I saw never explained how they did that. For now I only have an Aspire and 2 Plat's so probably enough for just my wife and I can at some point might want to add the kids if somebody could expand on how to do that.

Any help appreciated, this site is always helpful!

Making my first purchase attempt tonight so will post a relevant DP in a few days.
How old are your kids? Depending on the age they may make you call in if you try to buy a solo kid ticket without an adult rider on the itinerary just to go over how you plan on dealing with them on arrival and things.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by culdeus
How old are your kids? Depending on the age they may make you call in if you try to buy a solo kid ticket without an adult rider on the itinerary just to go over how you plan on dealing with them on arrival and things.
4,4,6. That was the issue. I know I have to fly with them and of course will fly with them when we actually travel next summer. Just didn't know if there was any way to accrue refund credits for them since eventually through my 3 cards I should have plenty for my wife and I.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by panerd
4,4,6. That was the issue. I know I have to fly with them and of course will fly with them when we actually travel next summer. Just didn't know if there was any way to accrue refund credits for them since eventually through my 3 cards I should have plenty for my wife and I.
This is going to depend wholly on how long you want to spend on the phone booking, cancelling, and rebooking UAM flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.