Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (Southwest) only

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 15, 19, 3:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: STS-134
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select WN (Southwest) as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll and the wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase. (WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia. FL was the IATA code for AirTran Airways.) To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed. What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 2, 19, 2:20 pm

Amex Gold:
7/30- $48.98 purchased on 7/28 posted
8/1- reimbursed $48.98, but meter didn't move until today, 8/2
Old Aug 3, 19, 7:38 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
From what I understand this no longer works with a SW e giftcard. Amex will now only reimburse you for in-flight incidentals or early bird, however I have heard they do reimburse flights that cost under $100. Can anyone confirm?
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Mediahound View Post
From what I understand this no longer works with a SW e giftcard. Amex will now only reimburse you for in-flight incidentals or early bird, however I have heard they do reimburse flights that cost under $100. Can anyone confirm?
yup you got it! Id jump on it now before its dead with the gift card method.
Old Aug 3, 19, 9:38 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flybie View Post

yup you got it! Id jump on it now before its dead with the gift card method.
Thanks. Yep, I already did, earlier this year. I'm a bit sad it's no longer, I guess I'll be buying Early Bird more now.
Old Aug 3, 19, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by thebat View Post
If the child is not on the same reservation as you, you will probably have to check him/her in at he airport with an agent. This could be a huge PIA if the lines are long.
This is not correct.

Due to SW procedure, generally it makes most sense to book one-ways and individual tickets if a re-rating scenario is probable OR if there is only 1 available ticket in the current WGA fare bucket (if there's only one available at the cheaper rate and you instead search for two tickets, it will then charge the higher fare for BOTH tickets. A similar issue occurs when you try to "change" tickets to re-fare to a lower rate).
I haven't booked the kids tickets but have relative who has often. It does not have to be on the same reservation. What you do need is to book the adult's reservation first.
Then it makes you link to it when you book the child's reservation.
thebat likes this.
Old Aug 3, 19, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Banga_Saab View Post
7/30 - Bought flight, BWI to BOS
8/1 - Reimbursed $102.98

$7.44 left on Meter.

Glad this worked, otherwise that $550 yearly card fee is just way too much to recoup.
Once you cancel flight do you ask for refund or credit back ?
Old Aug 3, 19, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mediahound View Post
This is a secret that needs to remain a secret. It should not be discussed on this thread lest the secret get shut down by Amex. Please delete your question. Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:50 am

1. Do we need to login southwest account to buy below $100 ticket to get reimburse?
2. Also, is it still necessary to use GC+ rest of ticket charge method or just buy below $100 ticket directly?

thx
Old Aug 5, 19, 11:08 am

Programs: United, Southwest, Frontier, Chase UR, Hyatt
DP for Amex Gold

7/31 Select WN airline for incidental on Amex Gold
8/1 Bought $98.98 one-way ticket (SJC to AUS) from my desktop web browser and paid in full with my Amex Gold(no GC or partial payments)
8/2 Transaction posted on my Amex. It had all the ticket details on it.
8/4 Still no change on my counter and I am officially panicking
8/5 Finally woke up this morning to see the counter go down to $1.02. Credit still hasnt posted.

Now I have Amex Platinum and its $200 to spend. Still not selected an airlines yet and I am a little scared the WN "hack" can go away any time.
Global Adventurer likes this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by aopluu View Post
1. Do we need to login southwest account to buy below $100 ticket to get reimburse?
2. Also, is it still necessary to use GC+ rest of ticket charge method or just buy below $100 ticket directly?

thx
My experience was $99.98 ticket purchased with platinum from southwest.com, no gc and no splitting. Tried it again, and waiting on credit to post, will update.

Last edited by asdf1; Aug 5, 19 at 5:42 pm Reason: quote
Old Aug 6, 19, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by zeesh86 View Post
DP for Amex Gold

7/31 Select WN airline for incidental on Amex Gold
8/1 Bought $98.98 one-way ticket (SJC to AUS) from my desktop web browser and paid in full with my Amex Gold(no GC or partial payments)
8/2 Transaction posted on my Amex. It had all the ticket details on it.
8/4 Still no change on my counter and I am officially panicking
8/5 Finally woke up this morning to see the counter go down to $1.02. Credit still hasnt posted.

Now I have Amex Platinum and its $200 to spend. Still not selected an airlines yet and I am a little scared the WN "hack" can go away any time.
Credit finally posted to my account today
robchow likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by asdf1 View Post
My experience was $99.98 ticket purchased with platinum from southwest.com, no gc and no splitting. Tried it again, and waiting on credit to post, will update.
Credit posted today, purchased on 8/1.
robchow likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 10:27 pm

DP for Amex Platinum

8/6 Select WN airline for incidental on Amex Gold
8/6 After 6 hours of selection booked 3 flights all under $100 each adding upto $201 towards the incidentals
Old Aug 7, 19, 6:29 am

Amex Personal Plat DP

8/2 $101.98 Flight purchase
8/2 $98.98 Flight purchase
8/6 -$98.98 Credit Applied
8/6 -$101.02 Credit Applied

Cancelled the flights and have funds available for use on another flight in the next year. No GC or splitting on the 101.98, so there isn't a $100 hard stop - not sure where the magic stopping point is.
dagangwood likes this.
Old Aug 7, 19, 2:03 pm

2 DP for 100+ so far, 101 and 102...anyone have a 103?

Search this Thread