Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thebat
I'm surprised you didn't get it. You seem to fit all, the criteria for reimbursement. Maybe a couple more days?
Well, I guess I was being a drama queen. Checked the benefit for meter this morning and it dropped by the amount of the charge. All should be good.
Classic advice when it comes to CCs: shut up and give it a few days...
Old Jul 20, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
DP: GC + Amex split payment (Hilton Aspire)

7/16 - Bought $16 GC and purchased $110 ticket ($94 charged to Amex)
7/18 - Charge posted and saw airline credit meter deducted
7/20 - Charge reimbursed. GC portion never reimbursed
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 3:32 pm

Airfare less than $100

Purchased 2 one-way flights separately at $59 each and did not apply any gift cards. Both were reimbursed the following day.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:56 am

Data point:

Purchased a $141 one-way ($45 gift card + $96 AMEX) on July 20. So far, no sign of reimbursement.

It seems really clear that AMEX knows it's a ticket. On my online AMEX statement, I'm seeing information included like:

Passenger Name: *****
Date of Departure: *****
Ticket Number: ********
Document Type: PASSENGER TICKET
Itinerary (there's even a fancy graphic showing my segments)

For others who got reimbursed, did your AMEX charge include this much detail? Not holding my breath on this one..
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by greattypo
Data point:

Purchased a $141 one-way ($45 gift card + $96 AMEX) on July 20. So far, no sign of reimbursement.

It seems really clear that AMEX knows it's a ticket. On my online AMEX statement, I'm seeing information included like:

For others who got reimbursed, did your AMEX charge include this much detail? Not holding my breath on this one..
Yes, I was reimbursed on a similar scenario where it clearly shows as a ticket. It's been two days (its July 22, and you put your charge through on July 20). Just be patient, it can take another day or two.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:43 am

Data point:

not to be blunt, one needed to give more time before chkg; btw, 20th was also a wknd
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Data point:

I just went thru this above, and it cleared fine. Give it a few days.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Another fee that generates reimbursement is the $5.60 security fees on reward tickets.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:13 pm

$75 GC NOT reimbursed...statement closed already..has always worked before...I think this is dead.

Does Delta work anymore?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by mmoncrieff
Purchased 2 one-way flights separately at $59 each and did not apply any gift cards. Both were reimbursed the following day.
Where are you guys finding these sub $100 flights? lol
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chalucky
Does Delta work anymore?
Have you taken like 10 minutes to actually review the very thread you are posting in?

The answer you seek is pretty well documented in this thread at this point.

Regards
IndyHoosier and 49penguins like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
Houston to dallas
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
JAX - FLL
Old Jul 23, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
A lot of intra-CA flights are under $60
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:28 am

Everything is stupid with Amex, if they want to take away the gift card loophole, thats fine. But at least let us redeem those airlines credit on any airlines and not lock us in to a single airline every year. Good to know that we are still able to use it on one way ticket with SW, too bad it wont work with other airlines. Glad I got all my credits on both of my cards earlier this year. But def, 90% sure Ill cancel my plat next year.

End rant
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.