Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:50 pm

A couple of times Amex rep said that they set my Airline to SW but I never got a confirmation email. I did my gc purchase but no reimbursement. I chatted and they said that the system did not confirm my airline choice even though the rep said it was done. They manually gave me the credit through chat.

Now I ALWAYS make sure that i get a confirmation email before any airline purchase.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Odinson
A couple of times Amex rep said that they set my Airline to SW but I never got a confirmation email. I did my gc purchase but no reimbursement. I chatted and they said that the system did not confirm my airline choice even though the rep said it was done. They manually gave me the credit through chat.

Now I ALWAYS make sure that i get a confirmation email before any airline purchase.
Why call and introduce (another) human's error rather than just setting it yourself on the website? It's really easy to do so on the website.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by B3nder
Why call and introduce (another) human's error rather than just setting it yourself on the website? It's really easy to do so on the website.
I have that many times when you log in to the website and click on "benefits" that the enrollment options are "not available". It happens often and leads people to call in instead of waiting for the IT error to correct itself.
B3nder likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: Belong to Many but No Longer Loyal to Any
Hilton Aspire
Nov. 30 Designated airline (waited for email confirmation, which was almost immediate)
Nov. 30 Purchased $250 GC (no issues at checkout, rcvd email with GC codes about an hour after purchase)
Dec. 3 $250 fee reimbursement posted (Dated the 3rd but didn't show on account until the 4th)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by flyaxa
Hilton Aspire
Nov. 30 Designated airline (waited for email confirmation, which was almost immediate)
Nov. 30 Purchased $250 GC (no issues at checkout, rcvd email with GC codes about an hour after purchase)
Dec. 3 $250 fee reimbursement posted (Dated the 3rd but didn't show on account until the 4th)
Almost the same DP except I designated WN on Nov. 29.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I upgraded my wife's gold card to a plat earlier this year after I used a 100 credit. Do I get 200 from plat or just another 100?

Last edited by UA Fan; Dec 5, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by B3nder
DP:
11/30 amex offer upgrade ascend->aspire 150k.
12/1 amex online partially updated to reflect aspire
12/2 amex online updated to reflect aspire / diamond. SWA selected for travel credit.
12/3 $250 SWA GC ordered
12/5 charge posted (with 12/3 date).
12/6 "AMEX airline fee reimbursement" posted.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:47 am

Hilton Amex Aspire
Dec. 3 Activated card and Selected WN as airline
Dec. 3 Purchased $250 ecert from Southwest
Dec. 5 Amex Airline Fee Reimbursement posted to account
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Glenn2fly
.....Anyone have like situation ???? What happened??
I am an authorized user on my mothers Plat Am Exp. account.(with my Own card) ALL my charges appear on her online account page.. Am Exp rep told me that $200 credit on Plat card is Only for main card holder. ..She Does NOT fly so i had her choose Southwest as her Airline for travel credit. I then used MY card to buy SW gift card (remember ALL my charges appear on Her acccount ) Will the credit be applied ?? Its been 5 days so far and still No credit.... Anyone else been in this situation? What was result ?? THANKS All
I just got an authorized card on my husbands account and they told me that I DO qualify for the $200. Wonder if you need to try and select your own preferred airline and then get a GC? I haven't been able to select an airline but it says it is one of my benefits...will call them tomorrow if I still can't.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:13 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gojanetlynn
I just got an authorized card on my husbands account and they told me that I DO qualify for the $200. ....
This means that your expenses can use a portion of the $200 benefit. It does NOT mean that your card has a separate $200 benefit. You will not be able to select an airline, that can only be done by the primary account holder.

Last edited by mia; Dec 7, 2018 at 7:45 am
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:40 am

Interesting dp here:

my account: 12/3 $250 GC purchased. 12/6 airline credit posted.
wife’s account: 12/3 $250 GC purchased, 12/7, no credit posted.

Any idea why her account doesn’t get the credit? Both selected Southwest as airline before the purchase and full credit were available. And the purchased were made at almost same time.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mia
This means that your expenses can use a portion of the $200 benefit. It does NOT mean that your card has a separate $200 benefit. You will not be able to select an airline, that can only be done by the primary account holder.
Indeed, that is their story today. That is so not what I was told when I forked over the $300 on Wednesday. There is no way the fee is worth that if you don't get the $200 credit. I have the chat screen shot where they told me it was a benefit. Going to try and cancel the additional card.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by lz80521
Interesting dp here:

my account: 12/3 $250 GC purchased. 12/6 airline credit posted.
wife’s account: 12/3 $250 GC purchased, 12/7, no credit posted.

Any idea why her account doesn’t get the credit? Both selected Southwest as airline before the purchase and full credit were available. And the purchased were made at almost same time.
​​​​​​Because the $200 benefit is a "shared" benefit - which isn't really a benefit at all for the secondary card. I was deceived. I am canceling the secondary card.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 12:04 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by gojanetlynn
​​​​​​Because the $200 benefit is a "shared" benefit - which isn't really a benefit at all for the secondary card....
It sounds as if lz80521's wife has a separate account, rather than a supplementary card on the same account. The benefit is per account, not per card.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:44 pm

Wife's AMEX Gold (Rose Gold that is
Dec. 4 $100 SW egift purchase posted to AMEX acct.
Dec. 7 $100 SW annual airline credit shows $100 used for 2018 under benefits.
I expect $100 credit will post by Monday.
AWESOME

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.