Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 11, 19, 10:56 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Tanic
Wiki Link
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 29, 18, 7:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist
I selected southwest over chat nearly 7 hours ago. in the same session i also activated the saks fifth ave credit as well but only received an email about saks credit being activated. Should i be ok to to buy my gift cards now since the whole selection process was recorded on chat? If i just wait another day will that be enough time for the purchase to post and still get my 2018 credit?
Old Dec 29, 18, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by layoverdan View Post
I selected southwest over chat nearly 7 hours ago. in the same session i also activated the saks fifth ave credit as well but only received an email about saks credit being activated. Should i be ok to to buy my gift cards now since the whole selection process was recorded on chat? If i just wait another day will that be enough time for the purchase to post and still get my 2018 credit?
dis you get email confirmation for selecting southwest?
Old Dec 29, 18, 10:57 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by layoverdan View Post
....Should i be ok to to buy my gift cards now since the whole selection process was recorded on chat? ...
Follow the link in the Wikipost at the top of this thread to select an airline. If the selection has already been recorded, it will not allow you to repeat the process.
Old Dec 30, 18, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by sorrywereclosed View Post

dis you get email confirmation for selecting southwest?
I just got one of the AMEX cards with the airline credit. Super last minute but I was approved. The link in the sticky doesn't seem to work. I either get a blank screen or a message that the system is down. I had to talk to customer service to select it for me. I've gotten the email confirmation that Southwest has been selected as my preferred airline.

How long should I will wait to purchase the gift cards?

I know I'm running a risk by doing it so late in the year with only two days left. The customer service rep said I just need to do it by 12/31 to get the credit. Does anyone have any experience to state otherwise? Or am I just SOL at this point?
Old Dec 30, 18, 1:48 pm

Another data point pending to see how close to wire you can run this
Selected airline: 12/29
Bought 4x$50 gc: 12/30
Charge posted as one $200: 12/31
Amex reimbursement posted: 1/2
Angel Hao likes this.

Last edited by redandshiny; Jan 3, 19 at 11:09 am Reason: Adding info
Old Dec 30, 18, 8:48 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Anyone have a step by step guide for how to buy the Southwest Gifcard with the Platinum? Selected SW then bought a giftcard shortly after, was never reimbursed. Need to know what link to use, should I be logged into my SW account? Should I buy from the app? Logged into the AMEX account, no logg in? Any info helps. Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 18, 8:54 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by NationalChamps2015 View Post
.... Need to know what link to use.....
The link it is in the Wikipost at the top of this thread.

Logging in to your American Express account is irrelevant.

Logging in to your Rapid Rewards account cannot affect reimbursement from American Express.

Have you verified that American Express shows Southwest as your chosen airline for this specific card account -and- the amount of unused benefit?
Old Dec 30, 18, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
southwest, easy $250 and $100. Credit posted after 3-4 days.
Old Dec 31, 18, 2:28 am

I did 1 $100 on my amex gold that got credit. I asked the CSR rep to change to WN from AS. I did another $100 GC on my AMEX plat on 12/27 and a separate $100 on 12/31. Will see if they reimburse the Plat charges.
Old Dec 31, 18, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by givingitatry View Post
Thanks for the response. I used private window and did a $195 card and it sent an email from Southwest within 5 mins for the ecard. The original attempt hasn't prompted an email from SOuthwest so I am assuming it will drop off. Should see the second attempt charge post tomorrow and hopefully the credit.
My $195 charge has posted and credited. The original $200 attempt with the error is still pending and I guess will fall off any day now.
Old Jan 2, 19, 5:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Dec 21: 2 x $100 Southwest GC
Dec 24: 2 x $100 Amex Credit Reimbursement posted
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:00 am

I feel like this is a dumb question but if I already selected WN last year, do you have to enroll again before purchasing?
Old Jan 3, 19, 10:04 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by adapada View Post
I feel like this is a dumb question but if I already selected WN last year, do you have to enroll again before purchasing?
No, it will still be set to WN. You can look at the web site to get all your info, what airline is chosen and how much is left on the credit.
adapada likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 12:06 pm

AMEX Gold>Southwest $100 GC credit SUCCESS!

12/28 Received AMEX Gold card
12/29 Purchased $100 Southwest GC via Southwest website on laptop (NOT mobile device)
12/30 GC posted
1/2 Airline fee reimbursed
Old Jan 3, 19, 12:59 pm
formerly willbbiddy

Originally Posted by H2O14 View Post
12/28 Received AMEX Gold card
12/29 Purchased $100 Southwest GC via Southwest website on laptop (NOT mobile device)
12/30 GC posted
1/2 Airline fee reimbursed
This year's counter still intact?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: