Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2012, 2:39 am

Has anyone had luck recently with SW e-mail gift cards? I purchased one on 4/2, but haven't seen a reimbursement.

Details look like this:
Ticket Number : 5260003340285 Date of Departure : 1231
Passenger Name :
Document Type : SPD/AIR FREIGHT

Hoping someone can confirm that its still working.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL/UA/AA
Originally Posted by cyin
Has anyone had luck recently with SW e-mail gift cards? I purchased one on 4/2, but haven't seen a reimbursement.

Details look like this:
Ticket Number : 5260003340285 Date of Departure : 1231
Passenger Name :
Document Type : SPD/AIR FREIGHT

Hoping someone can confirm that its still working.
About to make a SW email gift cards - can you confirn if you have received your credit on your AX statement?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by KC from CA
About to make a SW email gift cards - can you confirn if you have received your credit on your AX statement?
Unfortunately, it did not work for me.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:10 pm

O - It looks like it was still working back in Feb per previous posts. Wondering when this has stopped. I went ahead and purchased $100 GC by email yesterday anyway. Will report back the outcome.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:19 pm

worked fine for me - $50 gift card. Took about a week though.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:27 pm

In what amount?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by uszkanni
In what amount?
$100 e-mail certificate. Let me know if it works for you, it could be that I chose my preference for WN the same day I made the purchase. If it works for you, I'll try again!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 6:11 pm

Has anyone tried buying 1x$200 gift card? Also, I want to buy an itinerary costing $279, would I get credit for $200 of that?
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:06 pm

$100 e-mail certificate. Let me know if it works for you, it could be that I chose my preference for WN the same day I made the purchase. If it works for you, I'll try again!
I've already used my $200 credit with WN. 2x75+50, credit showed up about 3-4 days after purchase. It may be that your selection of WN was too close to the actual purchase. If you plan to fly WN anyway then I don't see any downside in buying another card.

Originally Posted by US-NW-WN
Has anyone tried buying 1x$200 gift card? Also, I want to buy an itinerary costing $279, would I get credit for $200 of that?
The conventional wisdom is that purchases of $100 or less are automatically reimbursed. You can use multiple gift cards for a single ticket.

AMEX does not reimburse for actual tickets, only for "incidentals." If you buy a $279 ticket you will not get a $200 credit. If you buy 2 $100 gift cards (preferably in separate transactions), you will most probably get a $200 reimbursement from AMEX and could use the gift cards towards the flight.

Of course things can change at any time. AMEX might stop reimbursing for gift cards or change the limit of what's considered "automatic" in terms of reimbursements to something less than $100. Ya pays your money, ya takes your chances.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by uszkanni
I've already used my $200 credit with WN. 2x75+50, credit showed up about 3-4 days after purchase. It may be that your selection of WN was too close to the actual purchase. If you plan to fly WN anyway then I don't see any downside in buying another card.

The conventional wisdom is that purchases of $100 or less are automatically reimbursed. You can use multiple gift cards for a single ticket.

AMEX does not reimburse for actual tickets, only for "incidentals." If you buy a $279 ticket you will not get a $200 credit. If you buy 2 $100 gift cards (preferably in separate transactions), you will most probably get a $200 reimbursement from AMEX and could use the gift cards towards the flight.

Of course things can change at any time. AMEX might stop reimbursing for gift cards or change the limit of what's considered "automatic" in terms of reimbursements to something less than $100. Ya pays your money, ya takes your chances.

Thanks for the update, trying again tonight.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:18 pm

Thanks for the update, trying again tonight.
I chose WN same day and made my purchase same day also for a $100 GC. That was on April 17 and as of today, no reimbursement. Let us know if it works for you the second time around and I will follow.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:31 am

Reporting back with success! 4/21 purchase of $75, 4/24 credit. Guess the lesson is to register, wait a day (or two) then purchase.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:10 pm

Reporting back with success! 4/21 purchase of $75, 4/24 credit. Guess the lesson is to register, wait a day (or two) then purchase.
For Southwest right? Im currently enrolled for United but haven't used any of the benefit yet this year so I may switch to Southwest if it's working.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by PlatDrew
For Southwest right? Im currently enrolled for United but haven't used any of the benefit yet this year so I may switch to Southwest if it's working.
Correct, Southwest.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by KC from CA
I chose WN same day and made my purchase same day also for a $100 GC. That was on April 17 and as of today, no reimbursement. Let us know if it works for you the second time around and I will follow.
Reporting back - My purchase on April 17 was reimbursed on April 22

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.