Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:44 am

The reimbursement for a global entry charge from 8/31 on my plat just posted but a SW $100 GC purchase from 8/30 on my PRG still hasn't been reimbursed.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by HotPie
The reimbursement for a global entry charge from 8/31 on my plat just posted but a SW $100 GC purchase from 8/30 on my PRG still hasn't been reimbursed.
That's good news. Maybe the systems are catching up and the sky isn't falling.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:58 am

If I were to buy a gift card directly from the airline while I am at the airport, should I get the credit?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by pyx44
If I were to buy a gift card directly from the airline while I am at the airport, should I get the credit?
There aren't any data points on that since Amex's recent potential change in policy that I know of. Give it a try and let us know.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:16 am
umc

I used my mom's PRG card to pay $11.20 for the fee on an award ticket on 8/23, and she received the credit on 8/25. I used her card to pay $11.20 on 8/26 for another award ticket, but she has not received the credit for this second $11.20.

I bought an $80 e-giftcard from SW website on 8/30, and she also has not received the credit for this.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Thx for all these data points. Souhwest GCs for us are the best way to go, so I sure hope this gets sorted out...
Old Sep 7, 2015, 12:04 pm

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: WN/FL (Southwest) only

Bought 2 $100 SW GCs on website , posted 8-28. No credit yet either
Old Sep 7, 2015, 6:28 pm

I bit the bullet and bought 1 $100 ecard today. It's pending. (I was curious, that's why. I'll use it this month anyway.)
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum
Bought 1 $100GC, transaction posted on 8/29, not reimbursed yet.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by wshadow
Bought 1 $100GC, transaction posted on 8/29, not reimbursed yet.
I wouldn't count on ever receiving it. I have two on American Airlines on 2 different cards from 8/24 and 8/25 that haven't been credited. I don't think anyone has received a credit since around 8/20 or so for GC purchases ...

Best to look for some other way to use it, or cancel the card. You will get reimbursed for the months you paid and don't use the card.

Also, give Citi's Prestige card a look. You get a $250 credit off any airline ticket charge right up front, though you do have to fly on AA to get the lounge pass.

I'm thinking if enough of us cancel, perhaps they will notice. Or drop down to a gold card or even a green card instead. It just depends if the other benefits you get are that useful to you.

They are giving new users who sign up a 100K bonus to get this card. But not that much to the ones who have had these cards for years.

Last edited by lbotez; Sep 8, 2015 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by lbotez
I wouldn't count on ever receiving it. I have two on American Airlines on 2 different cards from 8/24 and 8/25 that haven't been credited. I don't think anyone has received a credit since around 8/20 or so for GC purchases ...

Best to look for some other way to use it, or cancel the card. You will get reimbursed for the months you paid and don't use the card.

Also, give Citi's Prestige card a look. You get a $250 credit off any airline ticket charge right up front, though you do have to fly on AA to get the lounge pass.

I'm thinking if enough of us cancel, perhaps they will notice. Or drop down to a gold card or even a green card instead. It just depends if the other benefits you get are that useful to you.

They are giving new users who sign up a 100K bonus to get this card. But not that much to the ones who have had these cards for years.

What is everyone doing on this regards? Any one tried calling amex? If so...what was their response?

I had bought 1 x $100 GC on august 26th - nothing yet...is everyone still playing the waiting game?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by poisonsag
What is everyone doing on this regards? Any one tried calling amex? If so...what was their response?

I had bought 1 x $100 GC on august 26th - nothing yet...is everyone still playing the waiting game?
I "chatted" online with Amex and told them I was considering canceling the card because of the reduced value of it recently and wondered what I would get back. I have several months still to go before renewal (everyone will be different); they did tell me that I would get a considerable amount back, and that if I wanted to downgrade to "green" it would cost me $75 but I'd still have AMEX business cards (my authorized users have green anyway, since I didn't want to pay the extra charge involved with AU's); but I'd still end up with almost $200... (I use these cards mainly for the amex Offers and I want to keep them). I complained about the $200 credit reimbursement and ranted about the fact that Citibank's Prestige card had no specific stipulations about what you used the airline credit for, and the fact that you have to specify a particular airline with Amex. They did offer to change the airline for me.

I'm going to wait a week but am seriously considering canceling the card. I think a month without reimbursement would be long enough....

I'm not so sure it's good to call and complain if you bought GC's; you know the response you will get.

Last edited by lbotez; Sep 8, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by lbotez
I "chatted" online with Amex and told them I was considering canceling the card because of the reduced value of it recently and wondered what I would get back. I have several months still to go before renewal (everyone will be different); they did tell me that I would get a considerable amount back, and that if I wanted to downgrade to "green" it would cost me $75 but I'd still have AMEX business cards (my authorized users have green anyway, since I didn't want to pay the extra charge involved with AU's); but I'd still end up with almost $200... (I use these cards mainly for the amex Offers and I want to keep them). I complained about the $200 credit reimbursement and ranted about the fact that Citibank's Prestige card had no specific stipulations about what you used the airline credit for, and the fact that you have to specify a particular airline with Amex. They did offer to change the airline for me.

I'm going to wait a week but am seriously considering canceling the card. I think a month without reimbursement would be long enough....

I'm not so sure it's good to call and complain if you bought GC's; you know the response you will get.

If I cancel my Amex Platinum Card after I get 100K bonus point, can I still get reimbursement for some of my annual fee?
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by J0anne
If I cancel my Amex Platinum Card after I get 100K bonus point, can I still get reimbursement for some of my annual fee?

yes you will, but then you will be in their blacklist...
Old Sep 8, 2015, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by erik8869
yes you will, but then you will be in their blacklist...
Then, I should keep it. Thx for the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.