Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by culdeus
This is going to depend wholly on how long you want to spend on the phone booking, cancelling, and rebooking UAM flights.
For adults though it can all be done online though right? Will probably just do that and if I get enough credit maybe take the wife for a weekend somewhere.

Assume next summer I could use $1000 of credit for wife and I and x amount of UR points (say 60K whatever 3 kids roundtrip would be) as one big purchase. Again I ask for forgiveness as I am not intentionally being obtuse I just have always used my MR's/UR's/TY points for cash until the gift card loophole died last June.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: reddit churning
Originally Posted by panerd
For adults though it can all be done online though right? Will probably just do that and if I get enough credit maybe take the wife for a weekend somewhere.

Assume next summer I could use $1000 of credit for wife and I and x amount of UR points (say 60K whatever 3 kids roundtrip would be) as one big purchase. Again I ask for forgiveness as I am not intentionally being obtuse I just have always used my MR's/UR's/TY points for cash until the gift card loophole died last June.
Yes, that would be easy. Get flights in the right cash range for each of you, cancel. When ready pool them. Keep in mind the expiration windows of the wanna get away are 1 year. I think ultimately the way you are setting up to do this will require you to do UAM for your kids but that should just involve one call.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by culdeus
Yes, that would be easy. Get flights in the right cash range for each of you, cancel. When ready pool them. Keep in mind the expiration windows of the wanna get away are 1 year. I think ultimately the way you are setting up to do this will require you to do UAM for your kids but that should just involve one call.
You have been super helpful thanks! If you didn't mind one last question... I just booked some one ways out in May, should I wait until close to then to cancel for the 1 year or is one year from Nov 5 original purchase date?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
You have been super helpful thanks! If you didn't mind one last question... I just booked some one ways out in May, should I wait until close to then to cancel for the 1 year or is one year from Nov 5 original purchase date?
It doesn't matter when since you have a year from your original date of purchase to use the credit (so Nov 5).
culdeus likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 7:46 am

I see the latest updates... but am unable to find an answer to this: are purchases of points that total < $100 being reimbursed?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
If Southwest sells miles through Points.com (or similar) the transaction would not be reimbursed because Southwest would not be the merchant.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
If Southwest sells miles through Points.com (or similar) the transaction would not be reimbursed because Southwest would not be the merchant.
Looks like it's through Southwest.com: https://www.southwest.com/account/ra...nts/buy-points
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jmilacek
Looks like it's through Southwest.com: https://www.southwest.com/account/ra...nts/buy-points
Google is your friend, perhaps take a few moments to educate yourself on this situation. It's not difficult to uncover the information you seek.

The fact that SWA provides the opportunity to buy points from their website, does not mean that SWA is actually the party to complete/fulfill the transaction. It's well documented that SWA, like many (most?) airlines uses Points.com to handle the sale of their miles/points. Thus when you buy SWA points you are actually buying them from Points.com, not Southwest and that is what shows up on your credit card. And obviously and purchase from Points.com will not trigger the airline credit with Amex since the transaction didn't post from SWA.

Regards
akr1970akr and GundamWing01 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:45 am

4,4,6. That was the issue. I know I have to fly with them and of course will fly with them when we actually travel next summer. Just didn't know if there was any way to accrue refund credits for them since eventually through my 3 cards I should have plenty for my wife and I.
Find a one way flight around $50 and book all 4 of you on it together (one confirmation). The charges will be pending as one $200 charge but will post as Four $50 charges and a few days later Four $50 credits will post on Amex.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:01 am

If you cancel the award ticket, do you know how SW refunds the taxes and upgrade fee? Is it a travel credit? Or statement credit back to CC?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by Jing Xian Ng
If you cancel the award ticket, do you know how SW refunds the taxes and upgrade fee? Is it a travel credit? Or statement credit back to CC?
It comes back as a travel voucher, has to be used by the original pax, have 12mo or so.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:21 pm

DP: AmEx Platinum Split with Gift Card

Two one-way Southwest tickets on separate reservations

Each $140.98 ($50 on gift card, $90.98 on AmEx Platinum)

11/5: Tickets purchased

11/8: Meter down to 18.04

11/8: Credit for both flights posted

Last edited by bhan1987; Nov 8, 2019 at 6:53 am Reason: DP update
Old Nov 7, 2019, 7:58 pm

Amex Aspire card
11/5: Selected Southwest as airline of choice in the morning. Got email confirmation within minutes.
11/5: Bought two separate tickets on separate PNR for $88.98 each
11/7: Shows posted charge from pending charge. No change in meter yet.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:04 am

Amex Biz Plat
11/5: bought one-way ticket for $98.98 (cancelled immediately, refunded as travel funds)
11/7: charge changes from pending to posted
11/8: reimbursed $98.98, meter adjusted accordingly

Last edited by bwin29; Nov 11, 2019 at 8:01 am
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:39 pm

Paid AF 3 weeks ago . got my free night cert. My calender year starts from Jan, so too early to get flight credit?

I have to book southwest flight for travel next month. Will work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.