Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:57 am

July 23 - Used Plat to pay for SW fees and taxes on a flight purchased by points
July 25 - Reimbursed $5.60

July 26 - Purchased SW flight on Plat from BWI to EWR
July 29 - Reimbursed $83.98

$110.42 Left on the meter.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA
Gift card plus charge on card below $100 worked for me.

Jul 22 - bought a one-way $128.95 flight with a $30 gift card bought with some other card and charged the rest to the Platinum.
Jul 24 - meter went down
Jul 25 - airline fee reimbursement of $98.95.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:45 am

does buying gift cards trigger the travel credits?

does buying gift cards with Amex Gold trigger the travel credits now?
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG SA
Originally Posted by Sam Ng
does buying gift cards with Amex Gold trigger the travel credits now?
Not any more since last month
Old Jul 30, 2019, 2:31 pm

Amex Platinum

7/26 Selected SW as airline
7/27 Purchased two $79 tickets, two transactions
7/30 Meter went down to $42
Expecting get reimbursed in the next few days.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by edkwan88
I don't think it is dependent on the card issuer, I think it's more how the airline does it. I usually purchase 2 tickets at a time and most of the time it posts as two separate transactions. However, this WN ticket showed it pending as only one charge. That's all I'm asking, is if SW will split out the charges into two transactions or leave it as one. I guess I'll find out in a couple days.
How did this turn out? Did the two tickets post separately? And, if so, was each one reimbursed separately (with an independent $100 cap)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. And, from recent comments, it looks like there are other people who are also trying to figure out whether a multi-ticket purchase will be split up for purposes of the Amex credit.

I have a situation where it will be one adult and one child on the eventual use of this, so I don't think I can do two separate tickets - because you run into "child traveling alone" issues and fees when you try to separately book a child's ticket.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:27 am

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 40orFight
I have a situation where it will be one adult and one child on the eventual use of this, so I don't think I can do two separate tickets - because you run into "child traveling alone" issues and fees when you try to separately book a child's ticket.
I would think in general adult+child on two separate reservation but on same flight situation would be allowed, e.g. one is a paid ticket and the other is an award ticket. you can try booking this as two separate paid reservations and see what happens when you are booking the child's reservation. worst case you can cancel within 24hours.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by 40orFight
How did this turn out? Did the two tickets post separately? And, if so, was each one reimbursed separately (with an independent $100 cap)?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. And, from recent comments, it looks like there are other people who are also trying to figure out whether a multi-ticket purchase will be split up for purposes of the Amex credit.

If the child is not on the same reservation as you, you will probably have to check him/her in at he airport with an agent. This could be a huge PIA if the lines are long.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Banga_Saab
July 23 - Used Plat to pay for SW fees and taxes on a flight purchased by points
July 25 - Reimbursed $5.60

July 26 - Purchased SW flight on Plat from BWI to EWR
July 29 - Reimbursed $83.98

$110.42 Left on the meter.

7/30 - Bought flight, BWI to BOS
8/1 - Reimbursed $102.98

$7.44 left on Meter.

Glad this worked, otherwise that $550 yearly card fee is just way too much to recoup.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Banga_Saab
7/30 - Bought flight, BWI to BOS
8/1 - Reimbursed $102.98

$7.44 left on Meter.

Glad this worked, otherwise that $550 yearly card fee is just way too much to recoup.
Nice! This is the first DP I've seen for purchase over $100.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:18 am

7/29 Purchased SW flight with Platinum, BWI-MSP $99.98 Passenger Ticket
8/1 Reimbursed $99.98
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by thebat
If the child is not on the same reservation as you, you will probably have to check him/her in at he airport with an agent. This could be a huge PIA if the lines are long.
Agree - wouldn't want to do that. The idea here is to refund the fares to the future travel funds of the adult and the child, respectively - and then book them together on a reservation later using each person's accumulated travel funds. Since there is a limit (3) on the number of prior travel fund credits that can be applied for each person on a reservation, I was trying to find a way to get each person's credits from the prior cancelled fares up to $100 (rather than being stuck with only $50 each if the adult and child have to be booked together).

The preferred alternative is to be able to book them together and refund - if someone can confirm that Southwest splits the total fare (on a multi-person reservation) up by person for billing purposes (and Amex will credit up to $100 for each individual person/charge on the same reservation).
thebat likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by qisu
I would think in general adult+child on two separate reservation but on same flight situation would be allowed, e.g. one is a paid ticket and the other is an award ticket. you can try booking this as two separate paid reservations and see what happens when you are booking the child's reservation. worst case you can cancel within 24hours.
Thanks, yes you may be right. Other airlines try to charge the "child traveling alone" fee at the start, but Southwest doesn't seem to (or maybe it does, just later in the process). I haven't actually gone fully through the process yet to buy a child's ticket alone. I'll give it a try if I need to - but before going down that path, I'd prefer to find out the answer to my original question as to whether Southwest splits the charge for a multi-person reservation (and whether Amex reimburses each person's charge on a combined reservation up to $100). That seems to be the simpler solution - if it works.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
7/30 purchased four separate one ways all less than $100. All reimbursed 8/2. Meter is now zero. Used Hilton Amex Aspire.

Purchased a $250 gift card in June and was not reimbursed so I guess I'll be flying Southwest more next year!
Old Aug 2, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by fishfly
Nice! This is the first DP I've seen for purchase over $100.
I had read somebody was reimbursed with a $104 ticket earlier in the thread...I was afraid to do it, but happy it worked.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.