Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
. By redeeming our airline fee reimbursements this way, we are doing something outside of the official terms and conditions, and the rug can be pulled from under us at any time.
while they can change the terms or even remove the feature entirely, I strongly disagree with this statement. The Amex terms clearly say they aren't responsible for coding of charges that qualify, that it's up to the airline to properly code charges. Yes, if the airline coded the charges not as incidentals, Then they would not qualify for manual credit. But we are clearly NOT violating any terms by making valid charges that are simply coded to satisfy the incidentals reimbursement.

If you want to get technical, Amex is clearly violating their own terms by applying the $100 cap. Terms say its based solely on coding for automatic redemption (same as category %s) but they're adding arbitrary additional rules on top that are undisclosed. Buy several early bird on one itinerary and Amex won't approve it automatically because of these undisclosed additional constraints.

Last edited by B3nder; Jul 26, 2019 at 2:29 pm
Old Jul 26, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by B3nder
while they can change the terms or even remove the feature entirely, I strongly disagree with this statement. The Amex terms clearly say they aren't responsible for coding of charges that qualify, that it's up to the airline to properly code charges. Yes, if the airline coded the charges not as incidentals, Then they would not qualify for manual credit. But we are clearly NOT violating any terms by making valid charges that are simply coded to satisfy the incidentals reimbursement.

If you want to get technical, Amex is clearly violating their own terms by applying the $100 cap. Terms say its based solely on coding for automatic redemption (same as category %s) but they're adding arbitrary additional rules on top that are undisclosed. Buy several early bird on one itinerary and Amex won't approve it automatically because of these undisclosed additional constraints.
They're not violating anyone's terms. They explicitly state that if the charges are legitimate and do not post within 4 weeks, then you should call and have them applied. Exact language:
American Express relies on accurate airline transaction data to identify incidental fee purchases. If you do not see a credit for a qualifying incidental purchase on your eligible Card after 4 weeks, simply call the number on the back of your Card. See terms & conditions for more details.
In any case, this doesn't change the fact that if charges are automatically posting and under the terms, they shouldn't be, you should use them immediately, because if they stop working tomorrow, you have no recourse.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by TechyB3
Hey! Thanks for the clarification. I had read previous DPs on EBC so hoped it would apply. If it helps, I actually already paid for the flights themselves earlier this year, so when I got the card I went in and added early bird to all of them. They all posted as their own individual charges (even if I got early bird both ways in a RT, it charged as $20 per early bird), so now I have a bunch of Southwest charges that range from $15-25 depending on how much it was for that specific flight.
if it's a legit purchase you should absolutely call if ebci isn't credited. FWIW it took mitoo around 3 days after posting to reimburseme
B3nder likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134
In any case, this doesn't change the fact that if charges are automatically posting and under the terms, they shouldn't be, you should use them immediately, because if they stop working tomorrow, you have no recourse.
Agreed, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Unrelated, (from username and join date, assuming you joined flyertalk researching to go and see the STS-134 launch? I must have done the same thing, similar join date) That launch was amazing! I was also there for it, on the causeway. Fortunately I also made 131, 132 and 135 all from the causeway. Flyertalk helped me really low-budget those trips. And those trips also cemented hilton as the chain I've mostly stuck with due to MVP and now Aspire.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by B3nder
Agreed, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Unrelated, (from username and join date, assuming you joined flyertalk researching to go and see the STS-134 launch? I must have done the same thing, similar join date) That launch was amazing! I was also there for it, on the causeway. Fortunately I also made 131, 132 and 135 all from the causeway. Flyertalk helped me really low-budget those trips. And those trips also cemented hilton as the chain I've mostly stuck with due to MVP and now Aspire.
The most surprising thing is how bright the SRB flames are. To everyone who hasn't ever seen a launch, I tell them to imagine that they were born underground in a windowless building and had never been allowed to go outside, and had only ever seen the Sun in pictures, and to imagine what they thought of it the first time they ever stepped outside, because that's what it's like. There isn't a photo or display with enough dynamic range to show how bright it really is.

In any case, the incident that triggered me to join FT was actually related to WN. WN had rolled out Rapid Rewards 2.0, and I was dissatisfied with the new terms, which basically meant that I wouldn't be able to fly 16 short intra-California hops and redeem for a cross-country trip. So, I decided to switch to UA and I've never been very loyal to WN ever since that time. But at the time, I realized I hardly knew anything about UA's FF program and this was a great resource to learn.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium.
Adding a DP:
7/22 selected WN as airline
7/23 purchased two $99 tickets
7/26 counter went down
7/27 reimbursed

Old Jul 27, 2019, 10:31 am

Business Platinum card

7/25 selected WN as airline
7/25 bought 3 separate tickets under $100
7/27 airline credit counter went to 0

Expecting official refund tomorrow or Monday
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Newbie
Hilton Aspire

7/25 bought 1 ticket $61.98

Document Type: PASSENGER TICKET

Not holding my breath.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by pita2go
Hilton Aspire

Document Type: PASSENGER TICKET

Not holding my breath.
All 3 of my tickets classified the same way, and I got the credit.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 7:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
Me too. Just bought 2 one-way tickets total about $185 on Platinum the same way too and now meters shows $15 left.

Next up for $250 Aspire credit.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Newbie
Originally Posted by idkmybffjill
You were right idkmybffjill

7/28 Counter went down by $61.98
7/28 Reimburse $61.98
Old Jul 29, 2019, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kirsch
I haven't seen any data points relating to a split payment where the remainder is over $100 so here we go

7/25 - $354 trip booked:
$150 - Gift Card that was reimbursed in January for the Aspire Card
$100 - Gift Card that was reimbursed in January for the Aspire Card
$104 - Paid with Gold card

I am hoping my $100 gold card credit will be applied and I will have just paid $4 but I am not holding my breath.
It worked!
7/28 - Gold card reimbursed with the $100 airline credit

I don't know how much over $100 will work but my split fare with the remaining $104 was successful!
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Gold card had $70.02 of airline fee reimbursement left for the year. Needed to travel on a WN flight that cost $234.98. applied a $100 egiftcard purchased previously and a newly purchased $64.96 egiftcard. Then used Gold card to pay the $70.02 balance. $70.02 charge posted on 7/23. $70.02 credit posted to card on 7/25.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Adding a DP:
7/22 selected WN as airline
7/23 purchased two $99 tickets
7/26 counter went down
7/27 reimbursed

Did you purchase the two tickets under one transaction for the same PNR? Or did you do two separate transactions?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Bought two flights with credits plus $38 and $23 on the Plat credit card on 7/25/19. Reimbursed on 7/28/19. Meter says data not currently available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.