Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
So let me get this straight....

You can book a "Wanna Get Away" airfare that is less than $100 (for example, STL to Des Moines, IA = $97). Then, cancel your flight and those funds will be credited to your "travel funds" where you can then apply that to a later flight with an expiration date of 1yr of date of refund. AMEX will credit your charge ($97 in my example).

Is my understanding correct?

If so, do you have to choose your same destination you used in the original airfare in order to use the travel funds?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by doss1

If so, do you have to choose your same destination you used in the original airfare in order to use the travel funds?
no
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by edkwan88

If you don’t mind sharing how much were the tickets and the break downs of your tickets? (How much on CC vs unused funds?)
There were 3 transactions that posted for each ticket. The full one was $200.70 (no reimbursement). The other two were $60 in unused funds and $140.70 (no reimbursement).

So not sure if the issue was I used unused funds and not a gift card or if the credit card portion has to be under $100.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:09 pm

same DP like some others' earlier today... noted a credit posted on my aspire acct with a split pay <$100

will test 1 split pay with travel funds (instead of gc) later this mo and see if will be reimbursed
EGFLYER and 808traveler like this.

Last edited by danhouston; Jul 8, 2019 at 11:30 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:59 pm

Q for any WN's experts on here: if a booking is made now but shortly cancelled on a split pay with CC & travel fund (to be expired in Dec this yr), does the entire or total travel fund issued from the cxl have to be used by Dec this yr, correct?

Last edited by danhouston; Jul 9, 2019 at 12:05 am
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
Q for any WN's experts on here: if a booking is made now but shortly cancelled on a split pay with CC & travel fund (to be expired in Dec this yr), does the entire or total travel fund issued from the cxl have to be used by Dec this yr, correct?
If you use future use funds as a full or partial payment the full reservations funds will have to be used by the earliest expiration which would be dec in your case
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: WN CP; Hilton Diamond; IHG Plat
Just attempted a WN purchase using partial GC, travel funds, and Hilton Aspire Amex as follows. Will report back in a couple of days.

Fare for One Way ticket: 160.98
Southwest LUV Voucher: -100.00
Residual GC Amount (originally purchased by HA Amex and not reimbursed) : -13.02
Amount charged to HA Amex: -47.96

If things go as planned I should expect a reimbursement of $47.96, correct?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS Gold 75k, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by IndigoEyes
Just attempted a WN purchase using partial GC, travel funds, and Hilton Aspire Amex as follows. Will report back in a couple of days.

Fare for One Way ticket: 160.98
Southwest LUV Voucher: -100.00
Residual GC Amount (originally purchased by HA Amex and not reimbursed) : -13.02
Amount charged to HA Amex: -47.96

If things go as planned I should expect a reimbursement of $47.96, correct?
Correct...
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:53 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Just a warning of going through Southwest "travel fund". Southwest has hidden traps of rules on "travel funds". You may not get the entire one year time on the travel funds. Read its rules.

Also, on quite some routes, Southwest is not even cheap. You do not want to be stuck with so much funds tied to a single airline.
EGFLYER, akr1970akr and danhouston like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Plat, AS Gold 75k, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Not sure if this has been answered already, but does anyone know if SW splits out the tickets when purchasing for two people on the same reservation? For example, if two of us are traveling and fare is $54 each, will I get charged my CC as $54x2 or do I get charged $108 one time? The only reason I ask, is because from my own data points it's apparent I need to say below $100 for reimbursement. Wanted to know how this would play out. I just bought 2 tickets at $54 each and saw the (pending) charge on my CC for $108, I immediately cancelled (within 24 hour rule) and then purchased a $10 GC and repurchased the same tickets using the $10 GC and $98 AMEX Plat.

I've had various other airlines that always charge me the same amount twice when I buy two tickets on the same reservation. This is the only time I've seen it as one charge, however it was only a pending charge so I wasn't sure if it would split into two later, but I didn't want to risk it. Thanks for the answers.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:17 am

Reimbursement for Business Select?

If after paying for the base ticket, would buying the Business Select seating be reimbursed from Amex as incidental expense?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by edkwan88
Not sure if this has been answered already, but does anyone know if SW splits out the tickets when purchasing for two people on the same reservation? For example, if two of us are traveling and fare is $54 each, will I get charged my CC as $54x2 or do I get charged $108 one time? The only reason I ask, is because from my own data points it's apparent I need to say below $100 for reimbursement. Wanted to know how this would play out. I just bought 2 tickets at $54 each and saw the (pending) charge on my CC for $108, I immediately cancelled (within 24 hour rule) and then purchased a $10 GC and repurchased the same tickets using the $10 GC and $98 AMEX Plat.

I've had various other airlines that always charge me the same amount twice when I buy two tickets on the same reservation. This is the only time I've seen it as one charge, however it was only a pending charge so I wasn't sure if it would split into two later, but I didn't want to risk it. Thanks for the answers.
I'm not sure how it works on Amex per se, but on Citi/Mastercard statements I generally see all the flight details per traveler, and then their fare (or taxes if a points redemption). Same is true for me on for other banks and Visa. Sometimes if I'm using travel bank / credits for the tax part (or vouchers for airfares) I won't have anything on a card at all, which means I'm not going to have any card based travel insurance in place.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 2:56 pm

What if you use split for a $10 Gift card and $88 on the amex and cancel for a refund back to the amex right away would that work for the credit? So would get the refund and the amex credit trigged on the split payment purchase under $100?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by BlakeK77
What if you use split for a $10 Gift card and $88 on the amex and cancel for a refund back to the amex right away would that work for the credit? So would get the refund and the amex credit trigged on the split payment purchase under $100?
what's the rush for cxl the booking quickly? the charge (if qualify) won't likely get reimbursed
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
what's the rush for cxl the booking quickly? the charge (if qualify) won't likely get reimbursed
Don't you only have 24 hours to cancel and get a refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.