Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:43 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by B3nder
I figured the net negative annual fee on the Aspire wouldn't last ... .

On top of the killed travel credit, Amex is also killing the Priority Pass later this year (selectively removing all restaurants/etc and only keeping the lounges). Which I can see on their cards that also give Amex Lounge access, but the Aspire only gives the Priority Pass.
Guess I continue keeping my Chase Sapphire Reserve around (had been considering dropping it and keeping Aspire instead).

Devalued hilton points already pushes the 14 points/$ at Hilton to very near what I get on chase anyways. 3 Chase points = 4.5%. 14 hilton points at <0.4 (it's now generally 0.4 or even lower compared to AAA/MVP rates without even considering "lost" 20% by not earning rewards on reward stays. I find even 5 day stays now come out near 0.4 when considering the "unearned" rewards on reward stays.) = 14*0.4 = 5.6%. And by the time I get around to using all my Hilton Points, I'm sure they'll devalue them further.

Much more difficult proposition to pull out 450 of value now, IMO comes down to the Diamond status for keeping the card.
I guess there will be a lot less people at Centurion Lounges next year. I had always just used the Amerprise Platinum for lounge access and switching back and forth with P2. Now that loophole has been closed so I thought I would get vanilla Platinum with 75k sign up bonus in December to triple dip the gift cards. Now that has been closed down. Oh well I guess it is plain old priority pass lounges for me.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 12:45 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
I now have to find a purpose for $250 next year, I may make it rain early birds on my 2 annual swa flights.
Early bird is pretty useless. It guarantees you nothing. Better off traveling with a kid. Really I fly Southwest in country so you get free bags anyway. And International on AA which gives you free bags. You can get free wifi on a WN flight I guess.
B3nder likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:41 pm

Glad I used up my $300 (plat+gold) credit earlier this year. If this goes away I'm almost certainly going to bail next year for the Sapphire Reserve.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: csp chase sw chase united barclay hilton citi aa
yikes purchased last week aspire 250 SW. was wondering why credit hadn't posted. that sucks now I'm out 250. wondering if ill keep the card now. this was clearing up half the annual fee. SMH
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: WN CP; Hilton Diamond; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EGFLYER
yikes purchased last week aspire 250 SW. was wondering why credit hadn't posted. that sucks now I'm out 250. wondering if ill keep the card now. this was clearing up half the annual fee. SMH
my actions, and sentiments, exactly. Esp on top of the Amex Priority Pass $28 restaurant credits going away.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by 808traveler
Any recent DP's of partial airfare charges triggering the credit, like on DL?
Originally Posted by bradpitch92
Yes a Delta award ticket fee of $5.60 on 6/28 triggered the credit on two days later
thank you, was wondering if there were any recent DPs of this working for SW tho? Like split paying for a flight with a GC and an amex CC and triggering the airline fee credit. There are recent DPs of this working with DL.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:15 pm

Amex Biz Plat. Bought 1x$100 SW on 6/20, reimbursed 6/22. Bought another 1x$100 SW on 6/24, still not reimbursed
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:22 pm

Amex Platinum

I bought the WN GC for $200 on 6/29, the charge went through on 7/1. The charge is coded as Spd/Air Freight. Accidently logged in to Rapid Rewards. Still have not received my credit.

Interestingly, I made a SAKS purchase online the same day and was credited $50 today (7/2)

Has anyone had experience calling in asking for the credit? Claiming say, the charge was used for extra bags, etc?

Are other airline GC hacks working?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by atomicfront
Early bird is pretty useless. It guarantees you nothing. Better off traveling with a kid. Really I fly Southwest in country so you get free bags anyway. And International on AA which gives you free bags. You can get free wifi on a WN flight I guess.
no children so ebci, drinks and wifi it is.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by dezcutit
How risky is it to try to get a reimbursement via chat or calling?
did you try to call or chat?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Beachchaser
no children so ebci, drinks and wifi it is.
paid wifi on WN is a no go
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, AS Gold 75k, Marriott Titanium, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 808traveler
thank you, was wondering if there were any recent DPs of this working for SW tho? Like split paying for a flight with a GC and an amex CC and triggering the airline fee credit. There are recent DPs of this working with DL.
Someone on reddit posted a few days ago they bought $200 in gift cards and then proceeded to purchase a ticket for $299. The $99 excess coded as passenger ticket was reimbursed but the gift card was not.
Tried to post the link but I can’t since I don’t have five posts yet.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:40 pm

Uh oh.......
​​​​​​
Delta, Southwest Gift Cards May No Longer Trigger Amex Airline Fee Credit by The Points Guy

​​​​​​I think this is really dead. AMEX better make a change here or they're going to lose a lot of customers.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by edkwan88

Someone on reddit posted a few days ago they bought $200 in gift cards and then proceeded to purchase a ticket for $299. The $99 excess coded as passenger ticket was reimbursed but the gift card was not.
so paying for flight got reimbursed?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by edkwan88

can you message me the link? Reddit is hard as heck to search.

Originally Posted by danhouston
so paying for flight got reimbursed?
looks that way. This route has been around since before, but it was usually easier/more flexible to buy GCs. Anyways, looks like partial airfare reimbursement will become my go-to method for using this benefit now.

also, somebody on TPG commented that 1 out of 3 DL GCs they bought on 6/25 was reimbursed on 6/29. The other 2, nothing. Here's the link: https://disqus.com/by/disqus_Uif6ldHWa8/?
makes me wonder if they used a DL platinum card and got a $50 Delta purchase credit, but mixed it up as the amex airline fee reimbursement that we're discussing here.
I will note that the user said they used an "amex platinum".

Last edited by 808traveler; Jul 3, 2019 at 9:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.