Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 3:35 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ksingh0311

Oh, during that time period there definitely was a problem because GC purchased then were not coding as SPD/Air Freight.
This is not correct.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by RedSun
This is not correct.
oh ok, then I may have missed something.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:29 pm

I purchased $100 on 6/20 and was credited the same day it posted on 6/22. My next $100 purchase on 6/23 is coded the exact same way and has not been reimbursed.

Because I can see for myself that they're coded the exact same way, I'm not worried in the slightest. "Document Type: SPD/Air Freight" should work. Some people earlier this month were not seeing that and have not been credited. My saks credit has taken 3 weeks to post before so I still think we'll be ok.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 5:38 pm
Suspended

oh ok, then I may have missed something.
Originally Posted by dezcutit
I purchased $100 on 6/20 and was credited the same day it posted on 6/22. My next $100 purchase on 6/23 is coded the exact same way and has not been reimbursed.

Because I can see for myself that they're coded the exact same way, I'm not worried in the slightest. "Document Type: SPD/Air Freight" should work. Some people earlier this month were not seeing that and have not been credited. My saks credit has taken 3 weeks to post before so I still think we'll be ok.
I agree with @dezcutit. Nothing has changed. They are all coded as "SPD/Air Freight", even the transactions posted last year. I'll just give it some time to see what happens.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:08 am

I'd say so. We hit it too hard. lol
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:18 pm

Just chatted with Amex and changed airline to Southwest. Should've checked this page first XP
Curious about the past few posters' luck with reimbursement in the coming week(s). Crossing fingers for you!
Old Jun 30, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
Had not seen this thread before choosing Southwest. Bought a $50 gc June 24 right after choosing WN, and no credit (and probably bought it too soon). Bought another yesterday (it is pending), will post what happens. Was logged into my account - see some are saying not to be logged in. Why? Does that kill the credit?
Travel Fan likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 11:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by GVR Bill
.... see some are saying not to be logged in. Why? Does that kill the credit?
No, it has nothing to do with reimbursement, it just seems to avoid problems during the purchase process, but it appears you did not have any.
GVR Bill and B3nder like this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:24 pm

I figured the net negative annual fee on the Aspire wouldn't last ... .

On top of the killed travel credit, Amex is also killing the Priority Pass later this year (selectively removing all restaurants/etc and only keeping the lounges). Which I can see on their cards that also give Amex Lounge access, but the Aspire only gives the Priority Pass.
Guess I continue keeping my Chase Sapphire Reserve around (had been considering dropping it and keeping Aspire instead).

Devalued hilton points already pushes the 14 points/$ at Hilton to very near what I get on chase anyways. 3 Chase points = 4.5%. 14 hilton points at <0.4 (it's now generally 0.4 or even lower compared to AAA/MVP rates without even considering "lost" 20% by not earning rewards on reward stays. I find even 5 day stays now come out near 0.4 when considering the "unearned" rewards on reward stays.) = 14*0.4 = 5.6%. And by the time I get around to using all my Hilton Points, I'm sure they'll devalue them further.

Much more difficult proposition to pull out 450 of value now, IMO comes down to the Diamond status for keeping the card.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by dezcutit

So did you get your reimbursement back yet?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:00 pm

So did you get your reimbursement back yet?
Nope, not yet. Had my Saks credit post for my transaction on the 24th. I'm starting to worry.

Sounds like people electing for Delta are having issues as well. There's a chance that AMEX has closed this loophole for all airlines. I really really hope not as it makes the platinum card a tough sell compared to the CSR.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:23 pm

It really makes the ascend card seem like a better option if the gc option is dead unless you can organically use the benefit.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 9:48 pm

How risky is it to try to get a reimbursement via chat or calling?
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:31 am

I think now it’s becoming more and more clear - the wiki above needs to be updated to reflect that reimbursement is in trouble.
808traveler likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
I have a $50 and a $100 from 6/24 that posted a day or two later. Are Spd/Air Freight but no reimbursement yet. I used Saks credit the same day and it reimbursed within 48 hours. I'll update if/when the Southwest credit posts but getting anxious...

Last edited by LaphroaigAndRibeye; Jul 1, 2019 at 8:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.