Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tanic
Reminder: you must enroll and select Southwest as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase.
Some have suggested the need to wait several hours or even a day before making the purchase, but there are also several DPs that worked without waiting that long.

(BTW, you will often hear people refer to Southwest as WN. WN is the IATA code for Southwest Airlines. SW is the IATA code for Air Namibia.)

Caution: As of late July 2019, reports are that direct gift card purchases are no longer being reimbursed.
To purchase click here: https://www.southwest.com/gift-card/create-card.html Caution: Do NOT login to your Southwest Rapid Rewards account when making the purchase.

What does appear to work is buying flight tickets less than $100, OR using gift cards to get the charged amount down to less than $100.

Always read the last few pages to get up-to-date DPs.

Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: WN (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by EmoryFlyer
After reading that Southwest gift cards would work, I designated Southwest as my airline choice for the benefit, waited 3 days, then bought a $100 e-gift card to test it out. I noticed the charge in my "pending charges" area and thought nothing of it. It remained in "pending" for about a week then just dropped off. When I review the other charges on my account, I don't see the southwest charge anywhere...neither the initial $100 charge, nor the $100 credit back. I repeated the same thing again more recently, bought another $100 e-gift card and experienced the same thing again (in "pending" for about a week, then it dropped off, actual charge nowhere to be seen).

I just made a dummy booking on southwest.com to make sure the e-gift card numbers that were sent my way were valid, and indeed, each one is loaded with $100 of value.
Originally Posted by escog
I'm experiencing something similar. I made a gift certificate purchase on 8/19 for $50, and it's been stuck in pending charges ever since. I've had other charges come and go through the pending status, so I don't know why it's stuck. I just used the $50 gift certificate to purchase a flight, so I know the purchase is good.
My $50 pending charge for the Southwest Gift Certificate just disappeared from the pending queue, but didn't show up in the charges. It just disappeared. Made the charge on 8/19 and it disappeared this morning on 8/28.

I'm going to take this as a good sign on blind faith, and get $150 more in gift cards.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Omni Plat, Southwest A+ Pref
Originally Posted by escog
My $50 pending charge for the Southwest Gift Certificate just disappeared from the pending queue, but didn't show up in the charges. It just disappeared. Made the charge on 8/19 and it disappeared this morning on 8/28.

I'm going to take this as a good sign on blind faith, and get $150 more in gift cards.
FYI, I bought a $75 dollar SW gift card end of July and it did the same thing; sat in pending for about a week then disappeared. However, it did reappear a couple weeks(ish) later as a confirmed charge. I did get a $75 reversal at the same time.

So mid August, I did another $75 and a $50. Same thing, sat in pending then disappeared. Except this time, when it did reappear in confirmed charges, I did NOT get the reversal. Looks exactly like the reversed charge, except these didn't get reversed.

The takeaway is these charges are not gone or lost...just in limbo for around 10-14 days. And apparently YMMV (even my mileage varied) when it comes to getting the reversal.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: DL 1MM Diamond, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
My two southwest gift card charges finally did post (about 2-3 weeks after date of purchase). They show up sort of oddly as "999998 Dallas TX". Only when you click the button for additional detail do you see the name "Southwest Airlines" referenced anywhere...odd. I have not been credited back for either one yet...and based on the way they posted, I have a feeling I'll need to call Amex. I'll give it a few more days.

Originally Posted by Old Key West
FYI, I bought a $75 dollar SW gift card end of July and it did the same thing; sat in pending for about a week then disappeared. However, it did reappear a couple weeks(ish) later as a confirmed charge. I did get a $75 reversal at the same time.

So mid August, I did another $75 and a $50. Same thing, sat in pending then disappeared. Except this time, when it did reappear in confirmed charges, I did NOT get the reversal. Looks exactly like the reversed charge, except these didn't get reversed.

The takeaway is these charges are not gone or lost...just in limbo for around 10-14 days. And apparently YMMV (even my mileage varied) when it comes to getting the reversal.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Just to follow up with my experience with Southwest.

I designated Southwest on 8/14, purchased $50 Southwest Gift Card on 8/19, and then subsequent $50 gift cards - all on different days to total $200. These charges stayed at pending for a week or two, then disappeared. Then the charges popped up again as regular charges a week ago. Just today, I got reimbursed for them.

So, Southwest definitely works - it just takes a few weeks to go through the whole process.
Old Sep 16, 2011, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by EmoryFlyer
My two southwest gift card charges finally did post (about 2-3 weeks after date of purchase). They show up sort of oddly as "999998 Dallas TX". Only when you click the button for additional detail do you see the name "Southwest Airlines" referenced anywhere...odd. I have not been credited back for either one yet...and based on the way they posted, I have a feeling I'll need to call Amex. I'll give it a few more days.
EmoryFlyer or anyone else who got a $100 GC, did you get credited for it finally?
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:40 pm

Needed to do a last minute trip to LAS. Hadn't signed up for an airline so I opted for WN (eh, it's only an hour flight and WN had best scheduling for this trip) on 9/13. Purchased 2 WN $100 GCs on 9/14 (2 separate transactions about 12 hours apart); got reimbursed for both on 9/17.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
Airtran GC

Successfully reimbursed for a $100 GC on Airtran. Will try again in a few days.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:03 pm

Just a note regarding Southwest. I bought (a week apart) 2 $100 giftcards off their website. I received a credit for each card w/n 2 days of each purchase.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:17 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
Originally Posted by MTomas
Just a note regarding Southwest. I bought (a week apart) 2 $100 giftcards off their website. I received a credit for each card w/n 2 days of each purchase.
More datapoints: I have received 5 credits (2 cards) from Southwest giftcards (from Southwest website) in amounts of $50 or $75 within a few days.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by MTomas
Same thing here. 2 $100 giftcards, credit received 2 days later.

Opted for Southwest since I am a DL gold and generally have no incidentals. Glad to see it work out!
Old Nov 21, 2011, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by georgenc
Same thing here. 2 $100 giftcards, credit received 2 days later.

Opted for Southwest since I am a DL gold and generally have no incidentals. Glad to see it work out!
Did you get a physical gift card or just the email version?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 9:11 am

Bought a Southwest giftcard of $50 and got this listed in my transaction history. Since the Document Type is "SPD/AIR FREIGHT", will I get reimbursed?

Southwest Airlines (Maste
N/A
N/A YY

N/A YY

N/A YY

N/A YY
Ticket Number : 526000XXXXXXX Date of Departure : 1231
Passenger Name :
Document Type : SPD/AIR FREIGHT
Doing Business As: SOUTHWEST AIRLINES
Merchant Address: PO BOX 36611
DALLAS
TX
UNITED STATES
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:55 am

Does the airline credit still work for Southwest GCs?

and what is this information about purchasing GCs at Costco for the airline credit? Costco sells Airline GC?
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
Yes Amex should reimburse you up to what you have remaining of the $200. This assumes that gift cards continue to be reimbursed which has been the case with others including myself in the past.
Has anyone successfully gotten AMEX to reimburse a gift card purchase manually? The credit did not post for my Southwest purchase, but I wonder if they will credit me for it if I call in..
Old Dec 23, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: DL Spam; SPG Gold; other randoms
Originally Posted by redtop43
I will be cancelling my Plat card in February, but I'd like to use it to get 2 tix RDU-LGA with my 2012 fee credit. Most tix are in the $85-$105 range, so it's doable.

The problem is...

DL appears not to reimburse gift cards. I spoke with the agent at the airport and he said they are coded as tickets, with a standard 13-digit ticket number. Other FTers have reported not getting reimbursed for DL.

US doesn't sell gift cards.

AA does, but the tickets from RDU are unusually expensive.

Those are the only three airlines with nonstops on the route.

Ideas?
AirTran worked for me back in November (2 separate purchases at $100 each). You could try them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.