Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: US Airways only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Reminder: you must enroll and select US as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE.
Print Wikipost

$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: US Airways only

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:31 pm

Hi everyone. I'm a Platinum AMEX card holder and today I received an email offering me the opportunity to update my airline-of-choice to receive up to $200 in statement credits for incidentals. Frankly, I had forgotten this was even an option on the account so I was pleasantly surprised.

Anyway, I've been flirting with the idea of either "Buying Up to Preferred" or doing a "Preferred Trial" on US Airways. See these posts (Buy Up To Preferred and Siliver on Delta or US Airways - Which is Better?).

I'm wondering if if used my AMEX Platinum to pay the $200 fee for a Silver trial on US Airways, whether that would be eligible for the statement credit? Does anyone happen to know? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by PeakTek78
I'm wondering if if used my AMEX Platinum to pay the $200 fee for a Silver trial on US Airways, whether that would be eligible for the statement credit? Does anyone happen to know? Thank you in advance for your help.
I was wondering the same thing! I went back and reread the terms and conditions:

"Incidental air travel fees must be charged on the enrolled Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental air travel fees must be separate charges from airline ticket charges. Fees not charged by the Card member's airline of choice (e.g. wireless internet and fees incurred with airline alliance partners) do not qualify for statement credits. Upgrade charges are not deemed to be incidental fees. The airline must submit the incidental air travel fees under the appropriate merchant code, industry code, or required service or product identifier for the charge to be eligible."

Buying up or doing a trial are technically not "incidental" charges, so unfortunately I don't think it's gonna work for us.

If anyone knows more on this or correct information, please feel free. thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...Does anyone happen to know?
The answer is earlier in the thread. Use Search this Thread with the keyword "trial" and read this post which reports no reimbursement.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:07 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by runfit
I will be cancelling the card upon renewal, so I used it to renew my Skyclub membership. I confirmed with a rep that it would work for that and that I could call in to get it refunded if it did not appear automatically. $100 for a year of SC will work well for me!
Does US Allow this too? Maybe a post on what airlines allow the credit to go towards their clubs would be helpful also.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 4:20 pm

US Airways Trial Preferred

Originally Posted by mia
The answer is earlier in the thread. Use Search this Thread with the keyword "trial"
I'm wondering if if used my AMEX Platinum to pay the $200 fee for a Silver trial on US Airways, whether that would be eligible for the statement credit?
actually I went back and searched, turns out one person was successful..

this post he pulled the trigger but didn't hear back after 4 weeks but in this post he got it reimbursed by calling.

play it safe and get a US GC but according to this post you can't split the fee for the Trial into separate transactions. so I guess buy a $250 GC ($265 including the $15 fee) and pay for the trial that way. Makes more sense to pay $65 out of pocket then to risk paying $215 out of pocket.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:52 am

Just spoke to Dividend Miles CSR who stated that gift cards can only be used for travel and not for incidentals, fees, etc. - including the buy up/trial preferred programs. Now I'm officially confused.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:25 pm

Just spoke to Dividend Miles CSR who stated that gift cards can only be used for travel and not for incidentals, fees, etc. - including the buy up/trial preferred programs. Now I'm officially confused.
I was wrong, just read the fineprint for GC use.

"Gift cards are redeemable for air travel and related taxes and security fees for flights..."

The CSR was correct. So an alternative..pay for the trial (try your luck with calling them to get it reimbursed), if it works then great and problem solved..if not then you would've had to buy it anyway but then you buy 4 $50 GCs (since they get reimbursed), use GCs toward flight purchases during trial.

Much better alternative then absolutely nothing
Old Jan 6, 2012, 3:37 pm

Good idea. I need to buy a couple cheap flights to/from LGA, and the $200 in gift cards will actually cover both my friend and I. Thanks.

Originally Posted by overgrownegyptian
I was wrong, just read the fineprint for GC use.

"Gift cards are redeemable for air travel and related taxes and security fees for flights..."

The CSR was correct. So an alternative..pay for the trial (try your luck with calling them to get it reimbursed), if it works then great and problem solved..if not then you would've had to buy it anyway but then you buy 4 $50 GCs (since they get reimbursed), use GCs toward flight purchases during trial.

Much better alternative then absolutely nothing
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Puchased 2 US Airways $100 gift cards on 1/3/12 and was charged $215 (there's a $15 FedEx fee) and was reimbursed this morning on 1/7/12. Now will cancel Platinum card to avoid $450 annual fee. I will report any retention bonus offered but doubt I will get anything since I only spend $18k last year on it.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 11:26 am

Well, I just bought 2 $100 gift cards on US Airways. The "shipping" is $15, so I'm hoping to see a $200 credit on my AMEX Platinum very soon. Then, for giggles, I'm going to call US Airways and tell them I want to pay for a Silver trial with gift cards. Perhaps I'll get a CSR who will give it a shot. Otherwise, I'll buy a couple one-way tickets to LGA with the gift cards. I'll keep you all posted.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:21 am

Purchased 4 $50 gift cards on US Airways. Had to pay a $15 service fee for the delivery (they literally arrived the next day!). Two days later, fee reimbursed in the amount of $200.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:24 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
$200 airline fee reimbursement reports: US only

USA Centurion and Platinum cardholder reports of US Airways expenses which were reimbursed.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:09 pm

Data point: Ordered 4 $50 US (obviously since this is the thread lol) on 1/08/12. $200 reimbursed on 1/10/12.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
On January 3rd I booked a US Airways Star Alliance award. The taxes and fees came to $147.10. I guess $97.10 of that was taxes and surcharges and security fees, and $50 was the US Airways "award processing fee."

It appeared on my AMEX statement as two charges - one for $97.10 and one for $50.

Four days later the $50 award processing fee was reimbursed, the $97.10 in taxes, etc. was not reimbursed.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA, US, DL, AMEX Plat, AMEX Centurion, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by HomeToPit
Ordered four $50 gift cards in one transaction from USair last week. They showed up the next day (Usair charges a $15 delivery fee)

Checked my AMEX statement online this morning and got a $200 credit.

Sweet!
just purchased my gift cards today.... currently a pending charge from "US Airways ARC Sales" for $215. is that how it was listed on your statement?

thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.