Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Old Dec 7, 2015, 2:28 pm

You have to do your own due diligence. You don't have to read the entire thread. Read the last page or two. These threads exist for people to use so don't just avoid them because you can't be bothered to read.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l-only-71.html
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Takeshi - OP here- thanks for your reply. I do, however, take slight umbrage with your mischaracterization of my post. It's not that I "can't be bothered" to read the thread dedicated to this. The thread is currently 70+ pages and while I have not read the entire thread, post-by-post, I [B]have [B]read the thread enough to know that I'm still confused by the "rules" and what is and is not covered so hence my post. For example, UG'ing from coach to FC is NOT covered yet there is a report of someone doing just that. E certs don't seem to be covered and that too seems to have been covered for some by the credit. My post was not because I cannot bother to read the previous info, it's just that the previous info STILL confuses me and I was hoping for clarifying info from those who know better then me. I still look forward to more clarifying info for my initial query and initial question. Thanks to you all.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
... E certs don't seem to be covered and that too seems to have been covered for some by the credit. .
They are covered. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the read for specific instructions, you must buy $50 certificates, not larger. You may not be able to view the Wikipost if you are using a mobile device to access Flyertalk.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Takeshi - OP here- thanks for your reply. I do, however, take slight umbrage with your mischaracterization of my post. It's not that I "can't be bothered" to read the thread dedicated to this. ...
Don't mind Takeshi. He's a big "read the thread" guy, even when the thread is 90 pages long. Ha ha.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by IslesFan
How long did it take for the credit to actually post?
I bought 3 $50 eCert's on Dec 3, still no credit yet.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mia
They are covered. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the read for specific instructions, you must buy $50 certificates, not larger. You may not be able to view the Wikipost if you are using a mobile device to access Flyertalk.
This. The wiki is, IMO, quite clear and a good summary of the thread. If there are specific questions you have about purchases you are considering, many folks will be happy to answer.

But a generic "how can I use this credit?" question...to me that's pretty clearly answered in the wiki.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Please see Wiki. Typially takes several business days, sometimes weeks. Wouldn't worry yet if your purchase met all conditions noted. Good luck!
Old Dec 8, 2015, 5:35 pm

So I'm Platinum Medallion on DL and usually get Upgraded for free or I buy FC. I just rec'd the Amex Plat on 11/2 of this year. I've flown DL only twice since then. I am not scheduled to fly DL anymore this year and I need to use the credit before 12/31 (or loose it). Rather then pointing me to a long thread, can anyone tell me of any use I might have for the credit if I'm not flying DL anymore this year? and if it matters, I have 12 trips planned for next year thus far and I'm at a loss as to what to use the $200 for (besides for buying food onboard a flight) which is all I can think of? any other uses that I don't know about? As a DL Plat I get checked bags for free or I'm covered under my DL Amex Plat so bag fee is out for me..

my other question is - if I buy drinks in the Delta SC and use my Plat Amex, is that considered "beverage" under the food and beverages "allowed" items for the $200? thanks.

Sorry if this is confusing, I've flown DL a long time but new to this particular Amex. Thanks.
Simple solution is to buy 4x$50 Delta egift certificates and use them in 2016.

4x$50 credit should post on your Platinum account within several days.

You can buy 2x$100 or 1x$200 certificates and chat with Amex about reimbursement. More complicated for the first time.

I would suggest the first option for your situation.

PLEASE READ WIKI AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE. USEFUL TIPS.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I seem to recall a recommended wait time but can't remember how long. I finally got around to selecting airline as DL on my plat tonight about 7 PM. Would like to get 4x$50 DL GCs pronto (esp b/c it takes 48 hours for them to activate...WTH?). Amex site says it is instant (in terms of DL as "selected"), and I did get an email confirmation, but I have a vague memory of reading somewhere that someone "selected" then went to DL for GC and the credit never posted. How long should I wait to get the GCs?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
How long should I wait to get the GCs?
I selected the airline 3 days ago, ordered 4x$50 certs the following day just to be safe. Got an email confirmation saying "Please allow 72 hours after receipt of this email before redeeming your eGift Card".

The transactions posted today - as 4 separate entries, like it says in the thread header (I think transactions take up to 48hrs to post, depending on what time of day you make the purchase; mine was late-evening). No Amex credit yet.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Data point: $25 bag fee charged to Plat Amex on 12/3. Credit has not yet posted. End of year slow down?

Jim
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Credits just posted this morning.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by jimquan
Data point: $25 bag fee charged to Plat Amex on 12/3. Credit has not yet posted. End of year slow down?
Originally Posted by howgee
The transactions posted today - as 4 separate entries, like it says in the thread header (I think transactions take up to 48hrs to post, depending on what time of day you make the purchase; mine was late-evening). No Amex credit yet.
Please see Wiki. Both of these are well within the normal pattern. As long as you qualified on the other aspects, give it a bit and you should be fine.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:23 am

Data point -

Purchased a $50 Delta e-cert with my PRG on 12/5 and was reimbursed on 12/15.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:13 pm

Hell All! I bought 3 $50 Delta eCerts and charged a $25 checked bag 3 weeks ago and no refund yet. Any idea why this is or how long it will be?

Have done this twice in the past and it usually took just a few days to post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.