Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mooper
Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reported reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (incl standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year.
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) qualify for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry. They will later post as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts.

For other airlines: AS Thread | B6 Thread | HA Thread | UA Thread | WN Thread
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
what is "travel delay service"? why are they charging you for $9.95?
Insurance. The premium is apparently $9.95 per flight. The system charges this automatically when it sees a transaction which appears to be a flight. If it isn't a flight the cardholder needs to contact American Express to have the charge reversed.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:11 pm

well, how can they charge you something that you did not purchase? it does not make sense. if you call them to reverse $9.95, then they'll know you spent $50 on gift card, and they won't give you $50 back.

I used amex card to buy airfare before, but I have never been charged any travel delay service before.....
Old Apr 24, 2015, 6:25 pm
mia

Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I used amex card to buy airfare before, but I have never been charged any travel delay service before.....
This would be because you did not enroll and agree to be charged $9.95 per ticket for the coverage.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...xperience.html
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:57 am

Didn't see this situation, I upgraded from the PRG around 4/10 and purchased the 4 $50 egiftcards a day before receving/activating the actual platinum card (in order to use them on an error fare) but on my account it showed it was converted to Platinum the day I upgraded. Transaction posted 4/16 (ironically the day it was activated by receiving the card) and still no credit applied. Thoughts on whether this will still post?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:14 pm
mia

Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
...purchased the 4 $50 egiftcards a day before receving/activating the actual platinum card ...
If the system permitted you to select Delta as your carrier before purchasing the certificates the appearance of the physical card should not matter.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If the system permitted you to select Delta as your carrier before purchasing the certificates the appearance of the physical card should not matter.
What do you mean by the system selecting Delta?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 3:29 pm
mia

What do you mean by the system selecting Delta?
You must select an airline before using this benefit. Please read the Wikipost at the top of this thread, and follow the link to the selection page on americanexpress.com
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
You must select an airline before using this benefit. Please read the Wikipost at the top of this thread, and follow the link to the selection page on americanexpress.com
After doing a complete PTF I called Amex and asked if they would reimburse me for the charges since no one at Amex told me I had to enroll first and to my surprise the agent said she'd give me half back or $100 credit (which I thought meant using $100/$200) but she then added I would still have the $200 to use after selecting my airline, so essentially giving me $100. Pretty generous I thought and highly YMMV.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:32 am
mia

... no one at Amex told me I had to enroll first...
I suggest you spend some time in this thread, working your way through the complete list in the Wikipost. Anything that appears in blue is a link.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-do-list.html
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:32 am

data point

[data point]

Registered my Amex Platinum for Delta fee reimbursements Thursday night.

Purchased 4x$50 Delta egift cards the next morning, using a single cc transaction.

While the transaction was pending Amex showed a single $200 transaction. When the transaction was posted to the account it was automatically split into 4x$50 transactions.

The money was reimbursed by Amex on Monday (so that's two business days after purchasing the egift cards).

Note: I waited 72 hours before using the gift cards, as requested in the instructions that came with them. I tried to use the egift cards online but they didn't work - Delta's web site found them, based on their certificate number, but couldn't use them. I called Delta and they booked the flights with no additional fees. I asked whether all four certificates could be used (I was booking flights for three passengers) and they said yes but when everything was said and done I noticed that only three certificates were used (see the wiki for this thread for a possible explanation). So I had to call Delta again to fix this - they canceled one ticket and reissued it.

Good luck to you all.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:02 am

bought 4 X $50 Delta eGC on April 27th. 4 X $50 statement credits posted April 28th. That was fast!
Old May 3, 2015, 10:35 am

Does this benefit also apply to additional cards or only the main one?
Old May 3, 2015, 11:07 am
mia

Does this benefit also apply to additional cards or only the main one?
The benefit is $200 per calendar year per account. Any card can use the benefit, but adding more cards to an account does not increase the maximum reimbursement.
Old May 3, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
The benefit is $200 per calendar year per account. Any card can use the benefit, but adding more cards to an account does not increase the maximum reimbursement.
Great point, and one that I noticed was missing from the Wiki, so I just added it. Thanks!
Old May 9, 2015, 7:56 pm

Just bought a seat upgrade on Delta.com to First Class for me and my significant other at $158 each. We'll see if the $200 credit is triggered. I don't mind either way, so I figured I'd do a little experiment. Spent about 5 minutes searching. Couldn't find any evidence if this would work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.