Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 9, 2011, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Anyone have suggestions for getting reimbursed on a charge that's specifically listed as reimbursable? I selected Alaska Airlines in December, and on 28 Dec 2010, I bought $200 worth of Board Room day passes at the LAX Board Room; it lists on my statement as "Alaska Airlines Board Room". Despite having called in January, February and March, I haven't been able to get my $200. I've gotten reimbursed for all my in-flight food and beer in 2011 within a week, but my boardroom passes are still not reimbursed. Every time, I get the "wait 2-4 weeks" line, but it never actually happens.

...and to add insult to injury, I don't even need the BR passes for myself anymore thanks to the new PriorityPass benefit. Guess I'll give them to die_suferin.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:12 am

Programs: AS Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by naswi
If I charge the annual airline lounge fee on the AMEX PLT will it qualify for the $200 credit? I would still have an out of pocket cost but it would be great to have some offset to the cost.
I was eventually able to get the $200 for an annual Alaska Boardroom membership I purchased for my wife in December. Took about 3 months and several e-mails and phone calls. I don't recommend the headache.

I'm just doing the 4x$50 gift certificates on Alaska this calendar year. That has been no problem and the reimbursements have been posting automatically about two days after the charge posts. I've been buying them individually and waiting until the credit clears to buy the next one. From what I've read that's been unnecessary, but it's also been no big hassle.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by DragonMartini
I was eventually able to get the $200 for an annual Alaska Boardroom membership I purchased for my wife in December. Took about 3 months and several e-mails and phone calls. I don't recommend the headache.

I'm just doing the 4x$50 gift certificates on Alaska this calendar year. That has been no problem and the reimbursements have been posting automatically about two days after the charge posts. I've been buying them individually and waiting until the credit clears to buy the next one. From what I've read that's been unnecessary, but it's also been no big hassle.
Can I buy DELTA flights with AS certs?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by twoner32
Can I buy DELTA flights with AS certs?
Well, sort-of. You can buy flights that are Delta/Alaska codeshares. You can also credit your miles (and segments) to Delta regardless of the flight number. Your Gold status with Delta will give you benefits and upgrade possibilities on Alaska, although you will rank below Alaska's high-end elites.

Of course, this is only possible if you chose Alaska as your $200 credit choice.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Well, sort-of. You can buy flights that are Delta/Alaska codeshares. You can also credit your miles (and segments) to Delta regardless of the flight number. Your Gold status with Delta will give you benefits and upgrade possibilities on Alaska, although you will rank below Alaska's high-end elites.

Of course, this is only possible if you chose Alaska as your $200 credit choice.
Thanks. I haven't chosen my airline yet this year (or ever)!!!

Trying to figure out how to fly on DELTA metal (non-stop MSP-YVR) AND Code it AS....thoughts?
Old May 2, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I just bought an Alaskan Air certificate and got the credit. Happened almost immediately.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:38 am

Alaska Gift Certificate

I recall one post indicating an "Alaska Certificate" was reimbursed -- no input on what denomination was used. Can anyone confirm that they have been reimbursed for an Alaska Gift Certificate and share what dollar amount?

Conversely, please post up if you were not credited for this.

Thanks
Old May 21, 2011, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by kdubinwa
Can anyone confirm that they have been reimbursed for an Alaska Gift Certificate and share what dollar amount?
I was reimbursed for Alaska GCs at the $50 denomination. Appears to have been under the automation threshold. Received my credit the day after the charge posted. I made separate purchases on separate days (which was probably unnecessary, but who knows).
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:38 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
$200 airline reimbursement for companion fees

I recently booked a flight to Vegas on Alaska Air and used a companion fare from my Alaska Air Visa for the person going with me.

Total after tax for the companion fare was $127.xx.

About 2 days later I noticed a $127.xx credit on my account titled something like "AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBUSEMENT". I don't remember exactly what it was called, but either way Amex credited me for the companion fare.

That was a pleasant surprise. Now I don't have to buy $200 worth of airline snacks.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by jandersinc
I recently booked a flight to Vegas on Alaska Air and used a companion fare from my Alaska Air Visa for the person going with me.

Total after tax for the companion fare was $127.xx.

About 2 days later I noticed a $127.xx credit on my account titled something like "AMEX AIRLINE FEE REIMBUSEMENT". I don't remember exactly what it was called, but either way Amex credited me for the companion fare.

That was a pleasant surprise. Now I don't have to buy $200 worth of airline snacks.
nice! I'm still waiting for my taxes/fees reimbursement from an award ticket I booked in April. Yesterday (6 weeks after enrollment) I got an email from Amex welcoming me to my new benefit!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum; SPG Gold; UA Prem Exec; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kdubinwa
I recall one post indicating an "Alaska Certificate" was reimbursed -- no input on what denomination was used. Can anyone confirm that they have been reimbursed for an Alaska Gift Certificate and share what dollar amount?

Conversely, please post up if you were not credited for this.

Thanks
I can confirm. I purchased four Alaska air gift certificates at $50 each; 4 total over three days. I was almost immediately credited for the last one, but not the first three. I sent a secure e-mail and CS promptly credited the other three. Took five days total from first purchase to final credit.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 10:31 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
I was reimbursed for Alaska GCs at the $50 denomination. Appears to have been under the automation threshold. Received my credit the day after the charge posted. I made separate purchases on separate days (which was probably unnecessary, but who knows).
How did the charge show up on your statement and how long for the reimbursement?
Old Aug 1, 2011, 10:18 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
To add another data point, I was also reimbursed for Alaska Airlines gift cards the day after the charges posted.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:52 am

Alaska Airlines

I have read over half of the postings here and there are several who had success in buying egift certificates on Alaska Airlines. Did your receipt indicate specifically what the transaction was ? IE, does it mention gift card?

Anyone had success just recently?

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2011, 6:08 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Delta Gold, Alaska Air MVP Gold
At least on Alaska, the $99 companion fare (including the additional taxes) will count as a fee and will be deducted.

To answer your question I made my Alaska Air purchase a day or two after I signed up and it came off just fine.

I was also one of the ones that got the $200 bonus at the end of 2010 because I happened to have a flight scheduled in December 2010.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.