Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
I tried the same with my recently upgraded hilton aspire (early/mid february) and I did not receive the credit. Have you been charged an annual fee for your upgraded card? I have not been charged one, I was told that I'd get charged one starting april.
No, no annual fee yet.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:22 am

Just flew AS and charged the baggage fees and a sandwich on board to the Platinum card. I am an AU, so I know I don't get my own airline credit but I know I can use the primary cardholder's credit. Does the credit show on my account or the primary cardholder?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:40 pm

Sorry if this has been posted before, but what is the difference between an "upgrade fee" and a "seat assignment" fee. Based on the T&Cs, the "upgrade" is not allowed, but "seat assignment" is allowed. Would I be able to credit taking an offer to move from "saver" class to "premium" class? How about going to "first" class?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Sorry if this has been posted before, but what is the difference between an "upgrade fee" and a "seat assignment" fee. Based on the T&Cs, the "upgrade" is not allowed, but "seat assignment" is allowed. Would I be able to credit taking an offer to move from "saver" class to "premium" class? How about going to "first" class?
Gentle suggestion: try “Search this Thread” (“seat assignment”) before asking if possible.
In an effort to be a bit more helpful, I would say, yes to your first question and no to your second. Going to first class from main cabin is an upgrade. The others are seat assignments within the main cabin.
Just within the past several days, I was reimbursed for seat assignment fees (over $100). I waited four weeks, called in, and there was no problem. Sure, I wish I didn’t have to call. But, a legitimate request, and no pushback whatsoever. Ymmv. Cheers.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by jeepie

Gentle suggestion: try “Search this Thread” (“seat assignment”) before asking if possible.
In an effort to be a bit more helpful, I would say, yes to your first question and no to your second. Going to first class from main cabin is an upgrade. The others are seat assignments within the main cabin.
Just within the past several days, I was reimbursed for seat assignment fees (over $100). I waited four weeks, called in, and there was no problem. Sure, I wish I didn’t have to call. But, a legitimate request, and no pushback whatsoever. Ymmv. Cheers.
Thanks for the information, especially regarding how to search the thread. I don't think I have ever done that before.
It does sound like a hassle to have to call them in order to get the credit applied. Was it an issue with how Alaska coded it? I had heard that Amex will just say that the credit depends on how it is coded by the vendor and won't budge.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Thanks for the information, especially regarding how to search the thread. I don't think I have ever done that before.
It does sound like a hassle to have to call them in order to get the credit applied. Was it an issue with how Alaska coded it? I had heard that Amex will just say that the credit depends on how it is coded by the vendor and won't budge.
No worries. Ideally, the forum should be for helping one another, and sharing experiences and tips.
Sure, it’s a hassle, just like the Ritz-Carlton card. Sapphire Reserve is automatic, as is the Prestige. That said, the AmEx card benefits are different in some ways, so the card stays in my wallet.
I went back and checked the coding. It was “Airline tickets.” Now, if I were trying to break the rules, I might get scared off. Also, I have heard AmEx looks more skeptically at charges over $100. Thus, you will see numerous examples of the gymnastics people go through to make their charges APPEAR legitimate. I was prepared for a question about the nature of the charges (even though one was for under $100, the other small charge brought the total to over $100...and the credit card was just charged the one total amount). Since flights between the two points always cost several times the amount charged, I was ready to explain this if necessary. Ymmv. Cheers.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:52 pm

Two charges under $100 for seat upgrades with Hilton Aspire Card.
charged 4/6/19
credit posted on 4/11/19
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:48 am

I have to cancel a couple of award tickets. Any experience with the redeposit fee ($125) being reimbursed?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by brc01
..Also found the $125 change fee didn't get automatically reimbursed, which should be officially allowed unless I'm mistaken.
I’ve read back a few pages and all posts are abut buying sub-$100. This was the closest I found to my question and it hasn’t been answered from what I can see.

I bought a ticket for a no-status friend. If I pay the $125 change fee for her, will this trigger the Amex credit? Or simply put, is a change/cancelation fee an eligible charge for the credit? It’s over $100 so it won’t fly under the radar if not.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
I’ve read back a few pages and all posts are abut buying sub-$100. This was the closest I found to my question and it hasn’t been answered from what I can see.

I bought a ticket for a no-status friend. If I pay the $125 change fee for her, will this trigger the Amex credit? Or simply put, is a change/cancelation fee an eligible charge for the credit? It’s over $100 so it won’t fly under the radar if not.
Because of the amount it will probably not trigger an automatic credit, but ticket change fees are generally considered incidental fees that qualify for the reimbursement. You can just reach out to CS and ask for the fee credit and explain that the charge was for a ticket change fee. I've reached out to Amex in the past and explained that a charge was due to a change fee and Amex manually applied the credit.
Finkface likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
I have an Alaska flight coming up and will have $60 in baggage fees, so I was thinking of changing my airline to Alaska. I have no status. Is there anything else I could get reimbursed for with the remaining credit?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by holocker
I have an Alaska flight coming up and will have $60 in baggage fees, so I was thinking of changing my airline to Alaska. I have no status. Is there anything else I could get reimbursed for with the remaining credit?
Extremely difficult. Would not recommend it. Only if you will fly AS in future and you have no status.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by holocker
Yes, and this is a whole thread about how. Easiest is AS ticket purchases <$100, which can be either cheap flights or more expensive ones that are partly paid by gift card.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Purchased 3 one way tickets between $60-$75 for just shy of $200, last week. Cancelled all around 22-23 hours. All charges posted, refunds issues by Alaska and AMEX airline reimbursement fees credited as of today. For the record, I'm MVPG but this has no impact on the 24 hour cancellation window.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Jon.
Purchased 3 one way tickets between $60-$75 for just shy of $200, last week. Cancelled all around 22-23 hours. All charges posted, refunds issues by Alaska and AMEX airline reimbursement fees credited as of today. For the record, I'm MVPG but this has no impact on the 24 hour cancellation window.
Can you tell me what time of the day you purchase the tickets? I tried the same 2 weeks ago and the credits never posted. I bought a ticket for $89 and a few hours later bought another one for $89.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.