Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Feb 5, 2019, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by wanderingshi
Purchased 2x tickets at $88.3 on 1/23. Still no reimbursement. Is this normal?
For me, the credits post about 24 - 48 hours after the charges finally post to the Amex account. However, it takes a couple of days for the charges to post to Amex (not just pending).

1/23 seems like a long time. Did you check your Amex account to see how and when the charges posted there?

-David
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Booked a ticket over the phone (utilizing existing ticket credit) and paying the difference ($2x.xx) on the Platinum card has yet to be reimbursed after 7 days. This same card was already reimbursed for a couple tickets for online bookings last week so beware of over the phone ticketing which may not trigger the credit. Online and phone ticketing charge details look the same however.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:55 pm

Booked a ticket online on 20 Jan. Charged cleared on 22 Jan. I called today, 7 Feb, and was told they will not credit it because it was for a ticket. Disappointing.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by kungfury
Booked a ticket online on 20 Jan. Charged cleared on 22 Jan. I called today, 7 Feb, and was told they will not credit it because it was for a ticket. Disappointing.
Just curious, I assume you had to agree yes, it was for a ticket? And, I assume you knew they dont reimburse for tickets?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
And we could guess that the ticket was over $100? Perhaps kungfury hadn't yet seen this thread.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:30 am

Providing some DPs for my reimbursement:
Hilton Aspire: bought 1 way tickets for $81.30, $95.30, and $81.30 on 2/4, canceled 23:45 later. Refund issued on 2/7, Amex reimbursement on 2/8.
PRG: bought 1 way tickets for $63.30 x 2 on 2/4, canceled 23:45 later. Refund issued on 2/7, Amex reimbursement on 2/8.

Thanks all!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
And we could guess that the ticket was over $100? Perhaps kungfury hadn't yet seen this thread.
kungfury, can you help and let us know your ticket price? I am interested if there are any cases where a person bought a ticket for under $100 and the airline credit did NOT post.

My airline credit is also not posting. Though it has only been a little over a week, but reports in this thread are airline credits post within a week.

My details. I have Biz Plat.

1/30 - Changed to Alaska Airlines in the morning (before buying tickets)
1/30 - Bought 3 tix, each under $100 at night
1/31 - Canceled at 23 hour mark
2/2 - Refund posted (I did not catch when charges posted)

As of today, no airline credit and my counter still has $200.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Million Miler
Data points:

PRG:
1/31/19 - purchased 2 separate tickets in 2 separate transactions. Each transaction was for $88.30.
2/1/19 - purchases post to AMEX account
2/10/19 - .......still no amex air travel credit

Platinum:
1/31/19 - purchased 3 separate tickets in 3 separate transactions. Each transaction was for $88.30.
2/1/19 - purchases post to AMEX account
2/10/19 - .......still no amex air travel credit

I have had both of these cards for years and have never had trouble with the credits posting before.....starting to get nervous.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
So it seems we have a few DP's for 1/30-31 sub $100 charges not getting reimbursed (mine included) but 1/25 and 2/4 were successful. I recall there was a similar situation (not sure if with AS) before where a few days, or some small timeframe, where these charges didn't get reimbursed for unknown reasons.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Hilton Aspire: Bought a ticket for $89 on 1/29, cancelled at 23h, refunded on 2/1, reimbursed on 2/2. Bought another $89 ticket on 2/5, refunded on 2/8, reimbursed on 2/9.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: AS
Data Point
Today, Called to Cancel Plat Card.
Annual fee posted Feb 8.
January 16th- Made 2 purchases on AS for Tix and cancelled at 2300 hours. Got Airline Credit for those. So, charged, credited and Airline Fee credit in addition. Purchased AS Gift Cards with that balance.
Today, CS at AmEx informed me that because I was cancelling the card, they are charging back the Airline Credit since I cancelled those flights. So, Now I have the balance for the Airline Credit Due!!
Was not expecting that. So, even though I am entitled to Airline Credit, because flights were cancelled, I owe them the Airline credit.

Last edited by pcoll; Feb 12, 2019 at 12:31 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP
personal platinum data point:

2/5 - 11am - bought two $80.31 tickets on alaskaair.com, posts as two transactions
2/6 - 10am - canceled the tickets on alaskaair.com
2/7 - credit from AS shows up as one $160.62 credit
2/9 - credit from AmEx shows up as two $80.31 credits

all good!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Data Point
Today, Called to Cancel Plat Card.
Annual fee posted Feb 8.
January 16th- Made 2 purchases on AS for Tix and cancelled at 2300 hours. Got Airline Credit for those. So, charged, credited and Airline Fee credit in addition. Purchased AS Gift Cards with that balance.
Today, CS at AmEx informed me that because I was cancelling the card, they are charging back the Airline Credit since I cancelled those flights. So, Now I have the balance for the Airline Credit Due!!
Was not expecting that. So, even though I am entitled to Airline Credit, because flights were cancelled, I owe them the Airline credit.
Not passing judgement or anything, but I've been concerned about this practice of cardholders cancelling the underlying tickets and getting both a refund and the airline credit as it's only a matter of time before Amex clamps down on it. We are seeing Amex claw back the Saks credit for people who return the items purchased after the fact, and I guess it wouldn't be so hard for Amex to do an audit a claw back the credit when the corresponding charges have been refunded. Your call may be an indication that Amex may be doing such an audit when people call in to cancel the card. At the very least, we now have a couple of data points that somewhat indicate Amex's awareness of this practice.

I normally let the charge stand and then just cancel the tickets and deposit the funds into my wallet after 24 hours so that the credit is sustained by charges that actually posted. I understand that this is only possible if you have MPG+ status so not an option for everyone. I guess my concern is that because of the practice above Amex will just clamp down on automatically giving credits for Alaska charges and start requiring a manual review for everything. Alaska will then stop being an option for the credit in the future (since GCs no longer work either).
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by halamadrid
I normally let the charge stand and then just cancel the tickets and deposit the funds into my wallet after 24 hours so that the credit is sustained by charges that actually posted. I understand that this is only possible if you have MPG+ status so not an option for everyone. I guess my concern is that because of the practice above Amex will just clamp down on automatically giving credits for Alaska charges and start requiring a manual review for everything. Alaska will then stop being an option for the credit in the future (since GCs no longer work either).
An alternative that does work for non-MVPG+ is to purchase gift certificates for all but <$100 of the fare for a flight you actually want, then use the Amex card to pay the balance. The resulting <$100 should get reimbursed and isn't quite so far out on a "too good to be true" limb.
mia likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:16 pm

It’s been a while since I’ve been in this thread. But when did AmEx start crediting for direct ticket purchases? Or is this just with Alaska Air?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.