Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:26 pm

Bought $79 Premium Seat upgrade on 1/15, transaction posted on 1/18. Still no reimbursement. Anyone have a recent DP of premium seat upgrade being reimbursed?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:58 am

Not yet this year, but I always do it. Give it a few more days, imho. It should post. “Seat assignment fees” qualify. Call or secure chat...this should be a slam dunk. Cheers.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:40 pm

Can someone confirm if the following will work? I have the Amex prg and the Hilton aspire and want to use the $350 total airline credit towards an AS flight.
Book a one way $99 flight on the prg and 2 $99 one way flights on the aspire and another $50 one way flight on the aspire.
Cancel all flights about 22 hours after booking and amex will reimburse the $350 airline credits to my amex account.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:41 pm

Selected Alaska as my airline of choice and purchased a ticket on Jan 20. Usually AMEX is spot on with the credit but this one is taking longer than usual. I know it has not been 4 weeks per the disclaimer, but is it too early to call about it? Just wanted to ask those with the most experience.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by jeepie
Not yet this year, but I always do it. Give it a few more days, imho. It should post. “Seat assignment fees” qualify. Call or secure chat...this should be a slam dunk. Cheers.
​​​​​
I thought things like this were viewed as "upgrades" and hence technically not covered ("Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees"). I thought only fees you are required to pay to be able to pick a seat were covered (like on ULCC which don't let you pick any seat), not optional upgraded seat selection. Am I incorrect here?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by mattp_16
​​​​​
I thought things like this were viewed as "upgrades" and hence technically not covered ("Airline tickets, upgrades, mileage points purchases, mileage points transfer fees, gift cards, duty free purchases, and award tickets are not deemed to be incidental fees"). I thought only fees you are required to pay to be able to pick a seat were covered (like on ULCC which don't let you pick any seat), not optional upgraded seat selection. Am I incorrect here?
Well, may be a “YMMV” but I have never had a problem with Alaska. Always posts without having to call. If it didn’t post, personally I’m comfortable in taking the view that Premier seating is a “seat assignment fee” and not an “upgrade” as both are in the same class or cabin. I would probably call, but a secure chat might work. OTOH, I would not expect to be reimbursed for a “first class upgrade.” Cheers.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by KL808
Data point for non MVP GLD or higher. Bought SAN-SFO for $79. Cancelled at the 23:30 hour mark. Credit posted 2 days later
Which option did you choose when you cancelled on alaska?
"Refund to original form of payment."
"Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value."
  • Pay nothing today. At the time your ticket is exchanged for a new one, a per person change fee of $125 USD may apply, plus any difference in fare and taxes.
  • Save the ticket numbers you receive by email. You may use the value toward travel completed by March 8, 2020.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by endy
Can someone confirm if the following will work? I have the Amex prg and the Hilton aspire and want to use the $350 total airline credit towards an AS flight.
Book a one way $99 flight on the prg and 2 $99 one way flights on the aspire and another $50 one way flight on the aspire.
Cancel all flights about 22 hours after booking and amex will reimburse the $350 airline credits to my amex account.
Yes this will work, assuming things continue to work the way they have been. Instead of 2x99 + 1x50 for the Aspire, 3x84(or anything <100) is also an option. You don't need to be under $250 total, just <100 for each transaction. You'd get a partial credit back for the third one up to the $250 limit.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by pnguyen32
Which option did you choose when you cancelled on alaska?
"Refund to original form of payment."
"Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value."
  • Pay nothing today. At the time your ticket is exchanged for a new one, a per person change fee of $125 USD may apply, plus any difference in fare and taxes.
  • Save the ticket numbers you receive by email. You may use the value toward travel completed by March 8, 2020.
Refund to original form of payment. Note the potential for change fee if you select the other option. It may not apply, but I'd rather avoid the potential for arguing over it with a rep when the alternative is simpler.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:33 am

Bought 2 one-way tickets for $98.30 each on 1/25. Cancelled 23 hours later on 1/26. Tickets refunded and credit posted 1/28. AS AMEX Platinum credit for $98.30 x 2 posted on 1/29.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Here is another data point. Repeated the steps again.

Non MVP GLD here bought 3 tickets amounting to $200.90

Cancelled all three in the 23:45 min mark. All three credits posted for $200 after 2 business days.

There is NO choice to send to wallet, it goes back to your original form of payment.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:28 pm

Datapoint for the Aspire, purchased 3 tickets of 80-90 each on separate occasions and cancelled 23h later. All refunds and Amex credit posted within a week.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by glynot
Datapoint for the Aspire, purchased 3 tickets of 80-90 each on separate occasions and cancelled 23h later. All refunds and Amex credit posted within a week.
+1 on identical datapoint.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by KL808
Here is another data point. Repeated the steps again.

Non MVP GLD here bought 3 tickets amounting to $200.90

Cancelled all three in the 23:45 min mark. All three credits posted for $200 after 2 business days.

There is NO choice to send to wallet, it goes back to your original form of payment.
IME, if cancel is within 24-hr window, only option is a refund. Beyond 24 hrs, other options are available.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: MP
Purchased 2x tickets at $88.3 on 1/23. Still no reimbursement. Is this normal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.