Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
FYI on Business Centurion data point:

Purchased 3 sub-$100 AS tickets totaling ~196 on 12/8 for travel in May 2018
Transactions confirmed on Amex on 12/13 (with a 12/8 post date -- sat in pending for a while, as others have noted)
Amex reimbursements appeared on 12/14 with a 12/13 post date

Will cancel tickets with AS now for travelbank credit (well outside of the 60 day cancel policy for AS credit into my account)
Hi, brosnan6
May I ask what's the rule to deposit a ticket to Alaska Air my wallet.
I do not have any AS elite status, is it any fee to deposit a ticket to my wallet?
How may days I should deposit a ticket before the flight time?
If I deposit a ticket to credit, what's the credit expired.

Thanks very much.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 4:01 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by weever
Hi, brosnan6
May I ask what's the rule to deposit a ticket to Alaska Air my wallet.
I do not have any AS elite status, is it any fee to deposit a ticket to my wallet?
How may days I should deposit a ticket before the flight time?
If I deposit a ticket to credit, what's the credit expired.

Thanks very much.
No fees if you cancel at least 60 days before the flight, no elite status required. Credit is valid one year from date of purchase of the cancelled ticket, so till roughly December 2018 assuming you buy now
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:19 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
How much was yours exactly - 99.50+ rounded up?

Coincidentally, I just returned from the company store where I purchased $18.43 worth of tchotchkes: a deck of cards, two AS shot glasses and a Horizon coffee mug (. 23 net out-of-pocket).
Newb Here... I have $140 I need to spend before the end of the year. Does this $99 limit impact all purchases? Can you purchase from the online company store and get reimbursed?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by brosnan6
No fees if you cancel at least 60 days before the flight, no elite status required. Credit is valid one year from date of purchase of the cancelled ticket, so till roughly December 2018 assuming you buy now
Thanks, I have to give a try.
The credit expires from the purchase date? not cancel date?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Hefe811
Newb Here... I have $140 I need to spend before the end of the year. Does this $99 limit impact all purchases? Can you purchase from the online company store and get reimbursed?
Purchases must be made in person at their store near SEA.

​​​
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by weever
Thanks, I have to give a try.
The credit expires from the purchase date? not cancel date?
Yes, purchase date
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:24 pm

New to this technique

NEWB Question Alert.

Purchase an AS ticket under $99.00 (more than 60 days in advance of flight)
Wait for it to post to AMEX
Cancel it at AS
AS credits my wallet with $XX.XX amount
AMEX Airline fee reimbursement for $XX.XX is given

Is that it?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Beat2Def
NEWB Question Alert.

Purchase an AS ticket under $99.00 (more than 60 days in advance of flight)
Wait for it to post to AMEX
Cancel it at AS
AS credits my wallet with $XX.XX amount
AMEX Airline fee reimbursement for $XX.XX is given

Is that it?
My ticket was post yesterday, $99.20, But I didn't see the AMEX credit. I will keep eye on it.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Can the deposited "credit" for airfare go toward other fees such as phone booking fees?
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:48 pm

Personal Plat DP -

Three tickets purchased on AS
- LAX-SFO $83.20
- SFO-JFK $93.20 (plus $25 in gift card funds)
- JFK-SFO $93.20 (plus $25 in gift card funds)

Tix purchased on 12/15-16, posted on 12/19, reimbursements appeared 12/20 (including one partial reimbursement, total ticket value over $200). Statement closing date is Jan 11th.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat,
This is quite clever - I always wait until end of year and when I saw the Wiki, I thought I was toast. Just purchased (3) $72 tickets SEA-GEG. Will report back with any issue. I'll eat the $16 that won't be reimbursed.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by scifit92
Bought a ticket for $99.XX and it was posted on 12/5 and I still haven't received the credit. My statement period ended a few days ago, and when I click on this charge under Statement and Activity, the document type is categorized as "Passenger ticket" and it even lists the inbound and outbound airports of the ticket as well as the ticket number. It also has the "5X" MR multiplier icon next to the charge. At this point, I think it's safe to say that I won't be getting credit for this since the system clearly recognizes that charge as a ticket purchase.

I have a hunch that the reason I'm not receiving this credit is that I made the purchase too close to the end of the statement period. I'm guessing that when the statement period closes, AMEX goes through each charge to categorize which purchases are airline ticket purchases that should get "5X" MR multiplier. Anyone wanna chime in on this? One other relevant detail is that I waited ~3 days after I made the purchase to cancel and move the ticket value to My Wallet.
Tried again with two separate sub-99 transactions at the beginning of a new billing period and it worked:
1) $91.XX transaction on 12/13, reimbursed 12/17
2) $93.XX transaction on 12/18, reimbursed 12/22

I'm still standing by my hunch that this strategy might not work too close to the end of a billing cycle. In both of the transactions that got reimbursed, the "5X" multiplier icon did not appear next to each entry under recent activity/statements and activity.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM/*A Gold, Alaska MVP Gold, WN A-List, Hertz Platinum, IHG Platinum
Question Anybody have success with Fly & Buy Miles?

Hi all! I have AMEX Platinum (personal) and designated AS for 2017...probably won't do that again next year.

I've just booked some travel for 2018 and wondered if anyone has had success with doing the Fly & Buy Miles option at the end of ticket purchase? Have you gotten an AMEX refund on that? How does it categorize on your statement?

TIA for your input. $130 left in credit to use up this year before the bean counter resets.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:37 pm

purchased 2 separate ticket that comes out to 90.2
posted on Dec19th, but no reimbursement yet on 12/22

.It is being shown as
Category: Travel - Airline
Document Type: PASSENGER TICKET.
It also has flight details of From and To airports..

Does that mean i'm out of luck?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 11:21 am

Purchased roundtrip ticket for $96.40 on 11/28 but has not seen any credit. Message CSR online and he claims credit does not reimburse airline tickets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.