Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old May 13, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
With the change fee coming into effect, the only way this will work for Alaska Airlines is if we book a refundable ticket under $100.

But I can't seem to find any route on the alaska network where a refundable ticket will be that cheap Any ideas?
I've sometimes wondered if buying travel vouchers directly from the airport ticket counter would work. Perhaps they'd code differently than a gift certificate purchased on the web site?
Old May 13, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Any ideas?
Several recent posts have described how you can pay for most of a flight with gift certs bought with Amex or any other card, and then pay the balance that's less than $100(or whatever the threshold seems to be) with the Amex. Then you get reimbursed the same as we are now. Just not as flexible as canceling a flight and having the credit in my wallet.
Old May 15, 2018, 11:02 am

So I'm interested in getting these reimbursements for my Plat and PRG cards. However, I actually know the exact flight I need to book, so I don't need to go through the cancelling and travel bank process. I've read the wiki, but it wasn't clear. Is there a way to simply just book a ticket I actually want to fly and get the credit?
Old May 15, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mdosu
So I'm interested in getting these reimbursements for my Plat and PRG cards. However, I actually know the exact flight I need to book, so I don't need to go through the cancelling and travel bank process. I've read the wiki, but it wasn't clear. Is there a way to simply just book a ticket I actually want to fly and get the credit?
If you want to use the full credit(s) available to you for 1 ticket purchase then you will have to go through the cxl/travel bank process before Jun 5. If you have multiple tickets to buy after Jun 5 then you could use the process described in the post above yours and in the last few pages of posts to get credit for an amount under the credit threshold per each ticket booked.
mdosu likes this.

Last edited by Ripper3785; May 15, 2018 at 4:06 pm Reason: added dated
Old May 15, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by mdosu
Just book and pay with your Plat or PRG. The key is that the total charge for the ticket must be below a certain low (sub-$100) threshold which is presumably documented in this thread. In other words, don't buy a $200 ticket and wait for the reimbursement.
mdosu and pcoll like this.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: AS
Just booked flights on AS with AmEx Chairmans Card.
2 OW LAX/LAS 9-29-18 $54.20 Each (Each booked on separate PNR)
2 OW LAS/LAX 9-26-18 $44.20 Each
Will post when reimbursement posts on AmEx account.
This comes to $98.40 X2 , close enough for me.

One more Plat Card to rinse and repeat before June.
Hey for $400 I don't mind doing this.
Next year, I guess we will have a new dance to achieve the same.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:44 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Purchased 3x$60.20 SJC-SNA in October. Will wait 24hr and cancel into my travel bucket.

Not sure what I will do next year. Might be time to give up the AEP.

Edit: reimbursement came on 5/26.

Last edited by AMRivlin; May 26, 2018 at 11:01 am
Old May 21, 2018, 11:44 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Just to confirm - the magic number for success is $99.99 - actually, any number less than $100 (as long as you complete the magic before June 5) - correct? That's for the total charge, including taxes and fees, etc. - as long as the amount charged to your Plat is UNDER $100, it still works. Doesn't need to be below $99, below $98 etc. Because I'm finding flights that price out at exactly $99.00, and I figure that's as close as I'm gonna come.

To maximize, I'm planning on two separate $99.00 transactions (one today, the other tomorrow - just to be sure the charges don't get combined). Solid plan, right?

Thanks for confirming (or correcting).
Old May 22, 2018, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Just booked flights on AS with AmEx Chairmans Card.
2 OW LAX/LAS 9-29-18 $54.20 Each (Each booked on separate PNR)
2 OW LAS/LAX 9-26-18 $44.20 Each
Will post when reimbursement posts on AmEx account.
This comes to $98.40 X2 , close enough for me.

One more Plat Card to rinse and repeat before June.
Hey for $400 I don't mind doing this.
Next year, I guess we will have a new dance to achieve the same.
Get it reimburse yet? Planning to do the same thing you did!
Old May 23, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by emofeng
Get it reimburse yet? Planning to do the same thing you did!
Just checked online. NO credit posted yet.
Transaction dated 5-18 and posted to account 5-22. So, I guess I will give it a few days for credit to post.
This morning, I cancelled flights and have value in Award Wallets.
Will update if and when credit posts.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:30 am

Aspire card. AS: transactions date 5/15, posted on 5/18. U40 U50 U60, all 3 still not posted yet.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:13 pm

there is generally a delay between the charge posting and the credit getting applied. I'd give it a week or so from when the charge actually posts. AS flight purchases also seem to go to pending for a few days before clearing, which adds to the time frame.
Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by maxp0wers
there is generally a delay between the charge posting and the credit getting applied. I'd give it a week or so from when the charge actually posts. AS flight purchases also seem to go to pending for a few days before clearing, which adds to the time frame.
Agreed.
Just checked and the charges put through on 22nd finally went from pending to posted.
None of the credits have posted.
Looked up statement from last year and time frame looks like over 2 weeks. Last year, posted charges on 1/27 and 2/02. Credit posted 2/21. Did make it on 1 statement so, zero balance due.
So, since time is running out on the 6 month cancel on AS, I would go ahead and do the charges. Even if one of our cards does not post credit, we don't lose money. It is just an exercise in moving money around.
Old May 26, 2018, 6:36 pm

Yup. I was waiting for your DP, but I didn't want to wait any longer. I ended up making similar purchases as you. Will report back when i see the credits post.
Old May 30, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Another data point

5/15 - $90.32 ticket I actually needed
5/16 - Selected AS as my AMEX Airline
5/23 - 4 tickets: $60/$48/$48/$48

Credits:
5/24 - First $90.32 ticket actually credited
5/26 - 2x $48 credits + $13 remaining

Guess I have some extra funds in my wallet now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.