Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by beckoa
I'm guessing the ticket value was deposited to mywallet when the ticket was cancelled.
This may be a way to get our annual benefit from AmEx. Was hoping reimbursement for GC would return but, does not look likely. This is kind of a back door approach.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I don't understand how exactly this method works - instructions?
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:12 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
An idea was explained in post 498:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...l#post28419947
Old Oct 27, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AS
Any recent DP regarding AS Lounge membership reimbursements?
Thinking that next year, this may be a good choice since we will be flying QF .
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I don't understand how exactly this method works - instructions?

It would appear that making small revenue ticket purchases, like a short-hop one way on Horizon, gets reimbursed through the $200 Amex Plat travel credit. Then, one cancels said flight within the refund window, which is refunded into the purchaser's AS My Wallet as AS credit. . . The purchaser gets their Amex travel credit and still has access to the original purchase price in their AS My Wallet of the refunded ticket as well.

Convoluted but if it works, I'm in. Frankly, if I can't easily get the my Amex Platinum travel credit for AS, I will find it VERY hard to justify keeping my Platinum card. ESPECIALLY with the $100 INCREASE to the annual fee.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Thanks! I have just tried something a bit more convoluted than that to salvage my $200. An outbound one way, canceled and wallet credited, and then then the same trip with a higher fare for using a gold cert. Return booked using wallet credits purchased with 3x B of A card applied to kerpo difference below $100. If that fails, I'll go on a swag binge at their store!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
Will purchases from the company store actually work for the $200 credit?
Thanks! I have just tried something a bit more convoluted than that to salvage my $200. An outbound one way, canceled and wallet credited, and then then the same trip with a higher fare for using a gold cert. Return booked using wallet credits purchased with 3x B of A card applied to kerpo difference below $100. If that fails, I'll go on a swag binge at their store!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I received the credit for a t shirt at the store in Sea Tac.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
I'm thinking of making a purchase online at the company store.....should work? Did it post automatically or did you have to call? Thanks!!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has been reported that likely would fail.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bumping thread to report that I bought two one-way tickets via AMEX:

Outbound: Original coach fare of $150 was not credited; however, I rebooked for a higher, upgradeable fare applying those funds, with the $64 difference being reimbursed.

Return: I purchased $75 worth of gift certs using my 3x AS Visa, added that to my wallet, and purchased a ticket worth $172. The $97 difference was reimbursed.

AMEX says I have $20 remaining, so off to their store I go for tschochkes.

Seems like the system does, indeed, have a $100 limit regarding ticket purchases.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 7:33 am

Did AMEX reimburse the fees days after it posted to the account or was it more immediate after you made the purchase? On my statement the line item clearly shows it is for an airline ticket with very specific information.....is that the same for everyone else? Thanks.
Bumping thread to report that I bought two one-way tickets via AMEX:

Outbound: Original coach fare of $150 was not credited; however, I rebooked for a higher, upgradeable fare applying those funds, with the $64 difference being reimbursed.

Return: I purchased $75 worth of gift certs using my 3x AS Visa, added that to my wallet, and purchased a ticket worth $172. The $97 difference was reimbursed.

AMEX says I have $20 remaining, so off to their store I go for tschochkes.

Seems like the system does, indeed, have a $100 limit regarding ticket purchases.

Last edited by bosca418; Nov 7, 2017 at 7:42 am
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The credits appeared a day or two after the flight charges were posted to my account (as completed, not temporary holds). AS drags its feet about finalizing the charges, so they stay as pending for a few days after the transaction.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 6:58 pm

The credits appeared a day or two after the flight charges were posted to my account (as completed, not temporary holds). AS drags its feet about finalizing the charges, so they stay as pending for a few days after the transaction.
Did those transactions post in your account as normal airline ticket purchases with the ticket details in them?
Old Nov 9, 2017, 9:18 am

DP: the purchases on my account did show as airline ticket purchases. As Points Scrounger pointed out AMEX did reimburse 2 days after the purchases posted to the account. I had two separate purchases for $100.xx & $96.xx credit.

Originally Posted by The Credit Inceptionist
Did those transactions post in your account as normal airline ticket purchases with the ticket details in them?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.