Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:21 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TJMAC
[.... AmEx start crediting for direct ticket purchases? ...
If the transaction is small it appears the system will reimburse without evaluating the type of expense. There are similar reports currently in the Delta thread. There is no precise maximum amount, but under $100 is more likely to work.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by mia
If the transaction is small it appears the system will reimburse without evaluating the type of expense. There are similar reports currently in the Delta thread. There is no precise maximum amount, but under $100 is more likely to work.
great, thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by pcoll
Data Point
Today, Called to Cancel Plat Card.
Annual fee posted Feb 8.
January 16th- Made 2 purchases on AS for Tix and cancelled at 2300 hours. Got Airline Credit for those. So, charged, credited and Airline Fee credit in addition. Purchased AS Gift Cards with that balance.
Today, CS at AmEx informed me that because I was cancelling the card, they are charging back the Airline Credit since I cancelled those flights. So, Now I have the balance for the Airline Credit Due!!
Was not expecting that. So, even though I am entitled to Airline Credit, because flights were cancelled, I owe them the Airline credit.
Next time do a chat to cancel.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, CZ *G, UA *S, AC *S, Hilton D, Marriott T, IHG S
Originally Posted by seattlefreqflyer
Were you allowed the option to refund to wallet? I'm not seeing that option (I'm MVP) so not sure how to get credit/funds towards a flight I want?
Free cancellation with 24hrs. I actually got reimbursed for all the credits.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:38 pm

Similar happened to me. Purchased award ticket on 01/30 (posting 02/01) which was split into a charge for taxes and a ticketing fee (no longer MVP). Both charges were <$25. I thought I should have no problem getting a credit. Nothing automatically posted. Called the agent who told me that award ticket charges are ineligible (which it does say in the fine print). Amex is making this benefit enough of a hassle to redeem that I think this will be my last year with the platinum. The amount of times I've had to call in during the last year to fix issues is not worth my time, even if Amex Customer Service is better than most others.

Originally Posted by sea2san
Data points:

PRG:
1/31/19 - purchased 2 separate tickets in 2 separate transactions. Each transaction was for $88.30.
2/1/19 - purchases post to AMEX account
2/10/19 - .......still no amex air travel credit

Platinum:
1/31/19 - purchased 3 separate tickets in 3 separate transactions. Each transaction was for $88.30.
2/1/19 - purchases post to AMEX account
2/10/19 - .......still no amex air travel credit

I have had both of these cards for years and have never had trouble with the credits posting before.....starting to get nervous.
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AS
AmEx has created so many hoops to jump through . When a benefit is offered, my opinion, it should be easily accessible. Airline Credit is for airline related items. When other premium cards offer a similar travel credit, AmEx has made us feel like criminals just to receive full benefit from credit. My CSR card met its travel credit by Jan 3. Did not even have to think about how to receive it. When one is totally painless and AmEx makes it feel like we have to "trick them" into giving us our benefit.
This is all just my opinion. Glad I cancelled card. Have been AmEx Plat holder since 1999.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
AmEx has created so many hoops to jump through
The rebates are supposed to be for airline fees, like checked bag fees for example.

The "hoops" are for those that want to game the system find other ways to use those credits to their advantage.

It's true, other cards have more generous "travel credits" that post automatically and don't require a specific airline to be selected.

Amex is banking on the breakage .. customers that won't bother to use their airline fee credits or even bother to select an airline. Same with the uber/sax/dell/etc credits, not everybody is going to be able to use them.

I guess I'm lucky, I don't find them that difficult to use. But that could always change.

-David
Ripper3785 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Purchased 3x tickets for $80-90 with recently upgraded HiltonAspire on 2/12, credited 2/15.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold Elite, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Best Western Diamond Select
Purchased lounge membership on 2/1. As of 2/16, no airline fee credit (these usually post within 3 days). Emailed, chatted and called in the meantime. On 2/15 called AmEx again to see if they could apply the credit manually, and now I find out they processed my request as an overcharge dispute. ?? So exasperating. Why can't these things just happen automatically? I'm tired of babysitting this stuff.
pcoll likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP G, CZ *G, UA *S, AC *S, Hilton D, Marriott T, IHG S
Personal Gold DP:

2/12 - 2 AM - bought 58.3&48.3 tickets on alaskaair.com, posts as two transactions
2/13 - 1 AM - canceled the tickets on alaskaair.com
2/16 - credit from AS shows up 58.3&48.3 credits
2/16 - credit from AmEx shows up 58.3&41.7 credits

Similar for Hilton Aspire.

All still good for now.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:30 pm

Programs: Global Entry/TSA PreCheck
Mundane personal American Express Platinum data point:

February 17: Purchased a one-way plane ticket in the amount of $73.30
February 21: Received an AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement in the amount of $73.30
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
2/20/19 Purchased $63.30 LAX-LAS fare (went pending for couple days on AMEX, then posted)
2/23/19 AMEX Airline Fee Reimbursement posted $-63.30 (showed up on app on 2/25)

Will cancel and put $ in my wallet.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:15 pm

I had AS selected as a new member signing up 1 month ago. They just let me switch to Delta - I asked and they promptly did so.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Purchased 3x tickets for $80-90 with recently upgraded HiltonAspire on 2/12, credited 2/15.
I tried the same with my recently upgraded hilton aspire (early/mid february) and I did not receive the credit. Have you been charged an annual fee for your upgraded card? I have not been charged one, I was told that I'd get charged one starting april.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
I tried the same with my recently upgraded hilton aspire (early/mid february) and I did not receive the credit. Have you been charged an annual fee for your upgraded card? I have not been charged one, I was told that I'd get charged one starting april.
The upgrade date of my no annual fee card to the Hilton Aspire was Dec 4. I was told I would be charged a prorated annual fee "on the statement that closes on or after January 19". I was charged it when my statement closed Feb 8 (which contained Jan 19 in it), and it was $37.50. My anniversary date of the card account, which doesn't change when you upgrade, is Mar 19, so I guess I got lucky in that they only prorated me for the "one" remaining month between Feb and Mar. I should be charged the full $450 annual fee anew on Mar 19.

Keeping in mind the above dates, for the airline credits I did:
Dec 16 $79.21 charged, credited Dec 20
Dec 16 $93.20 charged, credited Dec 20
Dec 16 $118.20 charged, never credited.
Dec 21 $83.20 charged. credited Dec 25 (the remainder, $77.59)
(this data is a repeat of my post in this same thread from December)

Then this year:
Jan 8 $68.30 charged, credited Jan 11
​​​​​​​Jan 8 $58.30 charged, credited Jan 11 (the remainder, $45.10)

Also, slightly unrelated, I was able to redeem the $250 Hilton resort credit in February, and it should be available again this month as it'll be a new "cardmember year". So I really came out ahead on taking the upgrade path since I upgraded near the end of the calendar year (2x airline credit) and near the end of my cardmember year (2x resort credit), while only paying one month's fee ($37.50) for effectively $500 of value. The upgrade also gets a free weekend night if it's the first time you've had the Aspire card *ever*, which posted about 10 days after my statement closed containing the prorated annual fee charge.

TL;DR - all Alaska credits posted within five calendar days (not including "pending" time) even before I was charged any annual fee, prorated or not, after having upgraded.

Last edited by sudobuntu; Mar 6, 2019 at 2:01 pm Reason: math

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.