Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS
Great, thanks for the clarification. I am taking your explanation of credit as posting on my AmEx account, right? In that case, I might just buy a AS Gift Certificate, charge it to AmEx and then put that GC in my Mileage Plan account. I want to cancel card around Jan 31.

Last edited by pcoll; Jan 14, 2019 at 11:19 am
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:20 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
For the new year I started utilizing my credit card airfare credit. They seem to credit any purchase through Alaska below $100. I paid for a flight to Calgary, and a round trip to Las Vegas. I split them up into one ways as not to go over the $100 per transaction. Both credited as soon as they hit the statement
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by seattlefreqflyer
Were you allowed the option to refund to wallet? I'm not seeing that option (I'm MVP) so not sure how to get credit/funds towards a flight I want?
Originally Posted by pcoll

does the $79 get posted to your Wallet on your AS Mileage account?
No both credited back to AMEX Plat. I don't know how to credit it back to your wallet. Maybe when you cancel, instead of doing it online, call and have it credited to your wallet?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:56 pm

Is the idea that we would get the cash/credit on our credit card? I guess I was assuming if you bought a flight and cancelled it, then AmEx would reverse any flight credit received for that cancelled and reimbursed flight. Is that not the case?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
call to cancel to wallet.. but you can/already banked $98.3 in cash so why...
Is the idea that we would get the cash/credit on our credit card? I guess I was assuming if you bought a flight and cancelled it, then AmEx would reverse any flight credit received for that cancelled and reimbursed flight. Is that not the case?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
You can just book and immediately cancel and then the credit will still post in addition to the refund. So you can do that and then book the flight you actually want to use up the negative balance. Just make sure the book-then-cancel flight is under $100.
If you cancel and get a reimbursement on a particular card, AmEx will still give you the airline credit?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
If the credit posted and you now have a negative balance, why not just charge the actual flight to the same card to use up the negative balance?
I didn't realize if you cancelled a flight AmEx would still let you keep the airline credit, essentially giving you the negative balance. I assumed they'd reverse the credit...guess that's not the case?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
If you are Gold or 75K, you could cancel without a fee after the 24 hour window. You wouldn't get the cash back, but will have the option to deposit the ticket value into your AS wallet to use towards future travel.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Starting to get into posting on FT in 2019!

Does anyone have data points on cancelling an award booking within 24 hours and receiving the funds back through emailed e-ticket number redemption for later, and not being charged any $125 fee? I tried reading back through the thread but didn't see anything in the last 20 pages or so. The language related to this on Alaska's website was unclear (to me) and I was lazy and did not call before I attempted.

If anything, I will hopefully have a data point to add in a few days' time. I booked an award flight and cancelled at ~22.5 hours, and had three separate charges to my Amex Plat: $86.53 taxes and fees, $12.50 nonrefundable partner booking fee, and the $1.00 (temporary preauthorization?)
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by icelandman2
If you are Gold or 75K, you could cancel without a fee after the 24 hour window. You wouldn't get the cash back, but will have the option to deposit the ticket value into your AS wallet to use towards future travel.
First of all, alexandcompany, WELCOME to Flyertalk!!
Many of us are just MVP or have no status . The question for us is cancelling within the 24 hour window and retaining our Airline Credit. I think I understand it would work as follows:
purchase fares under $100 on AS and at hour 23 or so cancel reservation. It has been reported that AMEX will post initial charge, then airline credit for charge , then credit for cancelled flight. It would leave a credit balance on AMEX card, which could be used however user dictates.
This hopefully clears up some of the questions many are asking.
Personally, I plan on using the credit to purchase AS Gift certificate for future travel.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:03 pm

Hi Guys, first of all let me apologize in advance for not reading all of the recent comments (although I did read some).

I have AMEX Platinum and AS is my selected airline. A few years ago, I could buy a $200 gift certificate and get reimbursed. I think last year, I got 2 tickets to wherever for under $100 each, later cancelled those flights, crediting the balance to my wallet and receiving the $200 credit from AMEX.

Has anything changed for this year? Is this still the preferred method of getting the AMEX credit? I'm also reading some remarks about booking and cancelling in less than 24 hours, but not sure what's up with that, or if both methods work. Thank you in advance!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:37 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Many of us are just MVP or have no status . The question for us is cancelling within the 24 hour window and retaining our Airline Credit. I think I understand it would work as follows:
purchase fares under $100 on AS and at hour 23 or so cancel reservation. It has been reported that AMEX will post initial charge, then airline credit for charge , then credit for cancelled flight. It would leave a credit balance on AMEX card, which could be used however user dictates.
Personally, I plan on using the credit to purchase AS Gift certificate for future travel.
Wow. I did not realize we could get actual cash back on this. I guess it’s moot for me anyway since I fly so much on AS up and down the west coast. But still nice to know and good for those of you who are not Gold or 75K.

Do keep in mind if you have a credit balance on an Amex card, you can request a check sent to you from Amex.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:36 am

I thought the top of this thread states that credit no longer works for gift certificates?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:30 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pcoll;30662278.
...It would leave a credit balance on AMEX card, which could be used however user dictates.
.... I plan on using the credit to purchase AS Gift certificate for future travel.
Originally Posted by frugaltraveller
I thought the top of this thread states that credit no longer works for gift certificates?
I believe pcoll plans to use the card's credit balance to buy a giftcard, rather than to buy a giftcard to generate a credit.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by mia
I believe pcoll plans to use the card's credit balance to buy a giftcard, rather than to buy a giftcard to generate a credit.
Exactly.
DP:
Purchased 2- OW fares $99 each 1/16/19 Planning on cancel at 2300 hours. waiting to see how it posts to AmEx account, currently pending. Will purchase 2 - $100 GC with CREDIT generated from airline credit transaction. Willing to pay the $2.00 balance due on AmEx after GC purchase. I would rather have amount in AS Mileage Plan account for future travel.
Just a personal choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.