Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
Originally Posted by mia
Do you mean shortly after midnight (31/1) or later in the day?
Shortly after midnight pacific time (between 12:15 and 12:45). Over-eager
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:48 pm

Similar data point to the above posts: Bought two tickets at $83.80 and $90.30 on Jan 2. Canceled after hour 23. Went pending for about 5 days. Both the charge and refund posted on Jan 7. Fee credit posted on Jan 9.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 11:08 pm

Question for MVPs (those of us that need to cancel within 24 hours): - When you cancel within 24 hours, say at the 23:30 mark, are you receiving the option to refund to wallet? I didn't get that option within the 23-24 hour mark. My only option on my account was to refund back to the card.

As an additional data point my original flight charge of $98.30 was recognized and reimbursed, but that doesn't really help since I need money/credit I can use for a flight I want. Am I approaching this right???
Old Jan 11, 2019, 8:30 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by seattlefreqflyer
As an additional data point my original flight charge of $98.30 was recognized and reimbursed, but that doesn't really help since I need money/credit I can use for a flight I want. Am I approaching this right???
Another approach is to use the initial ticket against the actual ticket that you want. Let's say I want SAN-SEA. I can buy SAN-SFO on day 1. On day 2, I call and ask to change that ticket to SAN-SEA. I am then charged the delta.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
For non-MVPG+, there's also the option of purchasing gift cards sufficient to cover all but <$100 of the fare for a ticket you actually want and charging the balance to Amex. That will generate a <$100 charge that should get reimbursed.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by sSSspidermanNNn
48.2&58.2 charged on 12/24, around midnight.
Canceled within 24 hours.
48.2&58.2 refunded on 12/27 along with credit of 48.2&51.8.

I did the same thing with the Aspire Card, but before receiving the airline selection confirmation email, so no reimbursement. Trying now again.
Were you allowed the option to refund to wallet? I'm not seeing that option (I'm MVP) so not sure how to get credit/funds towards a flight I want?
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by KL808
Data point for non MVP GLD or higher. Bought SAN-SFO for $79. Cancelled at the 23:30 hour mark. Credit posted 2 days later
Were you allowed the option to refund to wallet? I'm not seeing that option (I'm MVP) so not sure how to get credit/funds towards a flight I want?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I've drained the $200 Biz Plat via the "book and promptly cancel" approach and now have a -$200 balance sitting on the Biz Plat. Am I right to think that it's asking for unnecessary eyes on the account to call and ask for the negative balance to be shifted over to another card and that I'm better off just making $200 worth of charges on the Biz Plat, or have people made that call without it being a big deal?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Question for MVPs (those of us that need to cancel within 24 hours): - When you cancel within 24 hours, say at the 23:30 mark, are you receiving the option to refund to wallet? I didn't get that option within the 23-24 hour mark. My only option on my account was to refund back to the card.

call to cancel to wallet.. but you can/already banked $98.3 in cash so why...

Last edited by frudd38; Jan 13, 2019 at 12:56 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:27 pm

If the credit posted and you now have a negative balance, why not just charge the actual flight to the same card to use up the negative balance?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:43 pm
np

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
I've drained the $200 Biz Plat via the "book and promptly cancel" approach and now have a -$200 balance sitting on the Biz Plat. Am I right to think that it's asking for unnecessary eyes on the account to call and ask for the negative balance to be shifted over to another card and that I'm better off just making $200 worth of charges on the Biz Plat, or have people made that call without it being a big deal?
Just spend the $200 on something else or buy some Alaska tickets with the credit. It's a small amount and you certainly don't want to raise any red flags by trying to call customer support and having the $200 transferred as they may then look at the detail and actually cancel your credit and reissue your $200 airline reimbursement credit back to the card to use again.
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS
I agree. I am MVP and want to get my $200 from AmEx to AS my wallet. Do not know what flights to actually book yet. How can I get,the credit to My Wallet ? Looking to cancel card end of January and want to bank the credit.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by KL808
Data point for non MVP GLD or higher. Bought SAN-SFO for $79. Cancelled at the 23:30 hour mark. Credit posted 2 days later
does the $79 get posted to your Wallet on your AS Mileage account?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by pcoll

I agree. I am MVP and want to get my $200 from AmEx to AS my wallet. Do not know what flights to actually book yet. How can I get,the credit to My Wallet ? Looking to cancel card end of January and want to bank the credit.
You can just book and immediately cancel and then the credit will still post in addition to the refund. So you can do that and then book the flight you actually want to use up the negative balance. Just make sure the book-then-cancel flight is under $100.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pcoll

Why do you care if it's in your Wallet versus a credit? You can use both for future flights, but the credit has no restrictions? Is there an advantage to having it in the Wallet versus just having it as cash?

Cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.