Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Which makes it odder that in-person purchases at their Sea Tac emporium, with a specific merchant name of gift store, are credited.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by mia
If I recall correctly this is because Alaska Airlines uses a different merchant account to sell gift certificates. They are not reimbursed because they are not AS transactions.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Which makes it odder that in-person purchases at their Sea Tac emporium, with a specific merchant name of gift store, are credited.
Perhaps the merchant is under the same umbrella of coding as Alaska Air Group for the Company Store. Whereas the gift cards are actually performed by a 3rd party.

</speculation>
Old Nov 25, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
If I recall correctly this is because Alaska Airlines uses a different merchant account to sell gift certificates. They are not reimbursed because they are not AS transactions.
I wonder if one can buy gift cards directly from the ticketing agents at the airport and if these might qualify for reimbursement.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 11:49 am

Gift certificates show up as Alaska air gift certificate on amex statement so it was pretty evident
Old Nov 26, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k Gold
Flights reimbursed

As stated by others, 2x flights <$100 were auto reimbursed within 5 days for me. Purchased 2x tickets, and Alaska posts them individually to AMEX, so both were covered.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: alaska, american, united, starwood, mariott
2 Sub $100 airline tix posted on Nov 20th. Credits showed up on Nov 24th.

Can I now cancel the tix?, or should I wait a billing cycle or 2? I assume it shows up as a travel credit with AS.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by kumaranik
The other reports seem to suggest that the difference in price from gift cards was credited, but I see 2 credits for the same cancelled flight, one from Alaska and other from AMEX.
Requesting a follow up: what ended up happening with your Amex credit for this? Was it clawed back?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by axIguy
Requesting a follow up: what ended up happening with your Amex credit for this? Was it clawed back?
Nope, the statement came through, and the credit is still there.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:25 am

Programs: AAdvantage Plat+, FoundersCard, Amex Plat, TR Diamond, Marriott Gold, Wyndham Dia, HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by huge
I changed a ticket from cost $X to $X+$117 on October 23, charged the whole $117 to my Mercedes Platinum Amex, it has not been reimbursed yet. This is a no-brainer, legit use of the benefit within the T&C, right? (ie I don't need to make up some clever story when I call them to give me the credit)
Followup DP - a month after the initial charge I finally opened online chat & requested the credit for the fare-change. Rep very quickly agreed and said it would be credited. That was about 5 days ago - I just checked and I can see on the benefits page that the amount available has dropped to $83. The credit isn't showing up on my statement yet, but I'm sure that will trickle in.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:41 am

No AS GC Reimburse AMEX

I wish I would have read this thread before spending money at Alaska. I didn't get credited for my $75.00 spent on Alaskan GC's.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold
Bought gift cards and got the remaining balance to $86.43. Posted Nov 27th and credit Dec 1st!
ahhlun likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by skimtastic
Bought gift cards and got the remaining balance to $86.43. Posted Nov 27th and credit Dec 1st!
Did you buy your AS gift certificate from AS website and what is your transaction looked like? I bought mind on 11/24 but haven’t received any credit yet. thx
ahhlun likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by skialta
2 Sub $100 airline tix posted on Nov 20th. Credits showed up on Nov 24th.

Can I now cancel the tix?, or should I wait a billing cycle or 2? I assume it shows up as a travel credit with AS.

Does canceling it not cost any money?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:33 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mysnoopy
...AS gift certificate ...I bought mind on 11/24 but haven’t received any credit yet. thx
American Express does not reimburse Alaska Airlines gift certificate purchases. The technique is to use gift certificates to pay most of a fare, and pay the balance (under $100) with the card, which American Express may reimburse.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by mia
American Express does not reimburse Alaska Airlines gift certificate purchases. The technique is to use gift certificates to pay most of a fare, and pay the balance (under $100) with the card, which American Express may reimburse.

Thanks for your good tips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.