Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VegasGambler
Reminder: you must enroll and select AS as your airline BEFORE making a reimbursable purchase. Click HERE to enroll.
As of June 2017 gift certificates are no longer reimbursed. Link to buy gift certicates

According to this thread in the Alaska forum the reimbursement of Alaska Club memberships is no longer a problem. To see how much of your annual credit you've used, log in to AmEx, select the card in question, choose "Membership->Benefits" off the menu bar, scroll down to see the travel credit benefit. (with thanks to Lumpylump76)

Tickets cancelled within 24 hours are refunded back to the card used for the purchase. Tickets for travel dates > 60 days out can be deposited to your wallet when cancelled (this has not been true for some time). Change fees may apply depending on your status. Change fees are waived for MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members according to this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan (expand "service benefits" towards the bottom of the page). The wallet funds will expire one year after the issue date of the original ticket.
Print Wikipost

Airline fee $250/$200/$100 reimbursement reports: AS only (2011-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:19 am

Yea I phoned and asked why the credit had not been applied.
It took her some time but she came back and said that the gift card was excluded from the offer.
She did not offer to over ride the restriction - and I did not push her on it. So I struck out on this.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 12:44 pm

Hmmm

I looked at some of the other Amex Gift-Card (GC) threads to see what was happening there - and it looks like Amex is tightening down on GC purchases.
Alaskan, Delta and Hawaiian GC look to be having issues.
American and United GC look like they are still are working.
I have included the last update from these threads below.

In the past people have reported that you may be able to change your airline designation if you have not applied any charges to it.
You then will need to talk to a CR or get a CHAT - and see if they will work with you to change it.

I am going to wait to see if more people are having success getting GC credits on AA and UA.
If they are - I am going to attempt to move my designated airline to them (I have no charges on my AS credit).
Then buy one $50 GC - and see what happens.

** Recent Amex GC Threads

Delta GC Thread - June 2
No credit yet. Not looking good guys... should I contact chat rep?

Hawaiian GC Thread - June 1
Purchased a $50 GC on 05/17/17 and it codes as Hawiann Gifts. Haven't been credited back the $50 yet. Where did I mess up? By not buying it in $100 increment?

American GC Thread - June 6
Purchased $100 AA 5/31, got reimbursement on 6/2

United GC Thread - May 31
I charged $200 to the UA gift registry w/ amex plat. It posted 5/28 and I got the credit 5/30.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:42 pm

I also purchased a gift card recently and it was not reimbursed but I added it to "my wallet" which already had a small balance. Shortly after that I purchased a ticket and after applying my wallet balance, the total was about $22. I paid for that with my business platinum card and that amount was promptly reimbursed. So it seems that while gift cards are being excluded, small amounts for ticket purchase are not.

It's convoluted but I suppose if you have a ticket to buy, you could buy some gift cards, add them to "my wallet" and then pay for the balance with the card that you have the airline credit on since is does seem to still reimburse small amounts for tickets. I also have had it reimburse for small ticket purchases such as really cheap one ways on the west coast. Between that and some cheese plates etc, I'm sure I'll spend it by the end of the year but it is a pain to have to pay attention to.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by wwongo
I also purchased a gift card recently and it was not reimbursed but I added it to "my wallet" which already had a small balance. Shortly after that I purchased a ticket and after applying my wallet balance, the total was about $22. I paid for that with my business platinum card and that amount was promptly reimbursed. So it seems that while gift cards are being excluded, small amounts for ticket purchase are not.

It's convoluted but I suppose if you have a ticket to buy, you could buy some gift cards, add them to "my wallet" and then pay for the balance with the card that you have the airline credit on since is does seem to still reimburse small amounts for tickets. I also have had it reimburse for small ticket purchases such as really cheap one ways on the west coast. Between that and some cheese plates etc, I'm sure I'll spend it by the end of the year but it is a pain to have to pay attention to.
Based on your post I'm curious if Amex would reimburse the full $200 towards the ticket price on Alaska....

I was going to buy some Alaska GCs for a flight I needed to book but held off and booked with Chase UR points instead. Part of me wishes I would have taken a gamble with the $200 credit and just purchased the ticket with my Amex Plat.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:45 pm

$200 in airline tickets would almost certainly not be reimbursed since airline tickets are excluded. However it seems that small amounts for tickets pass through as an incidental expense. I don't know what the amount is but I would guess it's probably under $100 or somewhere around there.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by wwongo

I had the same thing happen. My scenario was somewhat similar, purchased a ticket, then did a full refund within 24 hrs. I got credit for $21.97
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
From your Amex statements, does the net ticket purchase after applying the wallet funds come through as a regular ticket purchase, or is it a supplemental looking one instead? I suggest that as the Even More Space on Jetblue supplement seems to be covered, so I thought perhaps Alaska tickets come through as wallet primary?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
If the GCs are no longer working see post #475

"Originally Posted by M2LA View Post
just to close the loop, the credit from my $ 100 purchase never showed up. I chatted into ax the other day and said this routine has been working for others I know but not me. csr stated the rules of which gift certs are not included but gave me the credit anyhow and ended with thanks for being a loyal customer since 1985. credit showed up the next day. things that sometimes work are not things that work to me. getting an everyday for my points and closing the prg..."
Old Jun 9, 2017, 12:51 pm

I had AS ticket purchase reimbursements in April of $33.60, $62.20 and $104.20
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:26 am

Purchased AS $50 GC posted on 6/9.

No reimbursement yet.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I had AS ticket purchase reimbursements in April of $33.60, $62.20 and $104.20
Thanks for the datapoints.

This will probably be part of the strategy going forward for me. Adding it into mywallet
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm a bit confused as to whether AMEX is crediting wallet overage only, or in a strange quirk crediting actual ticket purchases themselves (without wallet consideration)?

My worst case scenario is having to buy a club membership or lose the credit altogether.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
... crediting wallet overage only, or in a strange quirk crediting actual ticket purchases themselves...
I think the system is automatically reimbursing transactions that are less than $mall -and- which are not billed as a giftcard. One way to create such a small transaction is to use the Wallet to pay most of the fare, and the card to pay the balance.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
I can confirm that it is possible to buy AS flight ticket and get credit. It works for my $68.1 ticket purchase on 6/15.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:40 pm

$70 fare change fee (moved my flight up a day) from 6/16 did not get reimbursed yet, not expecting it to at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.